Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Alert: Two massive accidents on I-94, US 23

There were two massive accidents in the state today.

The first was on I-94 in Galesburg, involving 90 vehicles, including a truck that was carrying fireworks-yes, they all went off at once and it was all recorded on video by the Fox affiliate in the western mitten-channel 17.

At least one person has died in a massive pileup along I-94 near Galesburg, Michigan State Police tell FOX 2.

The MSP post in Paw Paw also says several others have been injured in the pileup that occurred in near white-out conditions. At last check, 23 drivers were transported to hospitals in Kalamazoo and Battle Creek.

The crash occurred Friday morning near the 90 mile marker on I-94. Police say the pileup occurred just after 10 a.m. A FOX 2 viewer, however, says the crash occurred shortly after 9 a.m. while he was on his way to work.

Police say approximately 50-70 vehicles were involved in the initial accident, and a continuing chain reaction has now involved 123 vehicles. The cars are piled up on both the westbound and eastbound sides.

Police say they are aware of four semi trucks and two cars that caught fire.

A three-mile radius was briefly evacuated Friday afternoon due to a burning semi truck containing hazardous material. A hazmat team has been on site evaluating the situation.

Another of the burning semi trucks was carrying around 40 pounds of fireworks. John Rudolph, a truck driver from Ypsilanti, sent us a photo of the smoke from that fire, saying it was so thick you could barely see through it. Police say that truck fire has been extinguished.

Interstate-94 is currently closed in both directions in Kalamazoo County. Authorities estimate the interstate will be closed for at least another 12 hours.
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/27...side-kalamazoo

The second occurred on US 23 in Milan.
    Emergency responders are at the scene of a massive pileup on US-23 near Milan.
    Michigan State Police say one person has died in the crash and another person is in critical condition. No other information on injuries were given at this time.

Do not expect US-23 to be open in either direction near Carpenter until 5 p.m. at the earliest.
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/27...massive-pileup

I-94 is still closed. Scary stuff.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...l#incart_river

As a sales rep covering Detroit, Ann Arbor and Toledo I do a lot of driving. I went through a lot of those snow squalls and what amazes me is how many people drive in these conditions without their lights on. They don't realize its not so they can see but so we can see them.

We're about as far from July 4th as one can get. Who the heck transports fireworks in the dead of winter?

This crash vid seems a little nuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fE172qR8uo

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    As a sales rep covering Detroit, Ann Arbor and Toledo I do a lot of driving. I went through a lot of those snow squalls and what amazes me is how many people drive in these conditions without their lights on. They don't realize its not so they can see but so we can see them.
    Headlights are great but they are on the front of the car so they wouldn't have helped yesterday. People need to adjust speed in low vision areas, but snow squalls happen too quickly when the freeway is moving at 70 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Headlights are great but they are on the front of the car so they wouldn't have helped yesterday.
    Geez, GP, how long do you keep your cars?! The modern ones have a switch that sparks up the headlights AND ones called parking and running lights.

Even though the Germans lost the big war [[just trying to get you forward in time...since it seems you missed most of the 20th century), they introduced rear-mounted fog lights as well. Those are the bright left rear lights that most idiots shine all the time because they never learned what that switch on the dashboard actually does...and don't realize how stupid it makes them look when the weather is clear.

So yeah, always turning on automotive lights helps everyone during snow squalls and heavy fog. Just avoid those high beams...unless you want to look like you're approaching light speed at night.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; January-10-15 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Geez, GP, how long do you keep your cars?! The modern ones have a switch that sparks up the headlights AND ones called parking and running lights.

Even though the Germans lost the big war [[just trying to get you forward in time...since it seems you missed most of the 20th century), they introduced rear-mounted fog lights as well. Those are the bright left rear lights that most idiots shine all the time because they never learned what that switch on the dashboard actually does...and don't realize how stupid it makes them look when the weather is clear.

So yeah, always turning on automotive lights helps everyone during snow squalls and heavy fog. Just avoid those high beams...unless you want to look like you're approaching light speed at night.

Cheers!
    lol that's funny. But tail lights on most cars can't be seen in a squall. I do have those high intensity running lights on my newer car. My older car is legal with only one taillight if that tells ya how old I am. I can actually see squalls a mile away because I'm actually paying attention when I drive but I guess I'm the exception rather than the rule these days haha

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    lol that's funny. But tail lights on most cars can't be seen in a squall. I do have those high intensity running lights on my newer car. My older car is legal with only one taillight if that tells ya how old I am. I can actually see squalls a mile away because I'm actually paying attention when I drive but I guess I'm the exception rather than the rule these days haha
    Only in the absolute worst squalls are taillights not visible. But in many inclement weather conditions headlights and tail lights help us to see other vehicles. Even on a nice sunny day a car with its lights on can be seen better. But you gave me an idea for those squalls. When i worked on a race team each car had a rear rain light. It was like a red strobe that made the cars visible in the rain. If our cars had these for use in bad rain and snow storms they could save lives by preventing rear end collisions. Problem would be getting people to turn them on.

One should always throw your hazard lights on in inclement weather and obviously slow down. I even do it if it rains hard enough. People think they can get away with murder with these modern cars and BS like stability control, etc. Same with the SUV aholes. You are still rolling around on 4 pieces of rubber, and the snow and ice will take you down.

I love the strobe light idea. It can even be LED so it can run on its own isolated power even if the car battery dies.

The final count on the Galesburg pileup is 193 vehicles. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Only in the absolute worst squalls are taillights not visible. But in many inclement weather conditions headlights and tail lights help us to see other vehicles. Even on a nice sunny day a car with its lights on can be seen better. But you gave me an idea for those squalls. When i worked on a race team each car had a rear rain light. It was like a red strobe that made the cars visible in the rain. If our cars had these for use in bad rain and snow storms they could save lives by preventing rear end collisions. Problem would be getting people to turn them on.

I've always wanted a rear brake light that strobes faster with increasing deceleration, too...and the same circuit can sense when someone is riding the brake pedal and alter the switch point slightly. Since they have rain and ice sensors now, it wouldn't be too tough to make it strobe when the vehicle comes to a stop in inclement weather...and even when the ABS and stability controls become active. I'd like to know when those around me are losing traction, but at what point does it become information overload?

I'm sure any flashing red leds'll bump into old laws restricting any lights which may be mistaken for emergency vehicles...impersonating cops and the like...but I don't see the error in letting approaching vehicles think you're in an emergency, since it may indeed keep more of these pileups from happening.

Allowing open season on tailgaters would help a bunch, too.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; January-12-15 at 12:44 PM.

Heres the car I worked on, Toleman TG184. You can see the rain light just above the gearbox. One of my jobs was to make sure the light had a fresh bulb and was working properly.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Heres a similar light in a wet race. They flash fast, not quite as fast as a strobe but close. You would for sure see this in a snow squall, much brighter than 4 way flashers. [[not sure why 2 pics are posting when I only choose one)
    Attached Images Attached Images