Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default MaJazz, Midge Ellis Rest In Peace

Local Jazz producer Midge Ellis is now reunited with Count Basie, Maynard Ferguson, Buddy Rich, Stan Kenton, Gene Krupa and others. I had the good fortune to grow up in her neighborhood and become good friends with her son Gary, an extraordinary drummer. We attened Clarenceville High School, which is the 70s hosted a spectacular series of Jazz concerts featuring the above named musicians and more. This concert series happened because Midge believed it should happen and she worked tirelessly to achieve the success it became.
    Through her I was directly introduced to Count Basie, Gene Krupa, Stan Kenton, Maynard Ferguson [[several times) and Buddy Rich [[several times) and was able at a young age to meet and talk to these legends.

Details to follow.

Midge Ellis, a champion of jazz in Detroit, dies at 91
    http://www.freep.com/story/entertain...jazz/21881513/

Spouse and I spent many a Sunday afternoon at Clarenceville HS listening to the best of Jazz. Best times were with our friend, Don Swindell, one of the best trumpet/fluegle horn players in town. Learned to count some very complicated rhythms, particulary Maynard Ferguson's, under Don's tutelage during the concerts.

First jazz concert I remember attending was at Clarenceville. I was about 12 years old. Dad took me and younger sister and brother to see Stan Kenton with Jerry McKenzie on the drums.

I was there! Midge introduced me to Stan that afternoon during sound check.