Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 2015 Detroit Pistons

Is anyone else, who has been watching the once pathetic Pistons with a lazy eye like me [5-23 start], also getting jolted awake by this suddenly transformed team?

Just now they have completed a mild blow-out of powerhouse Dallas [first Piston win there since 2006]. That followed last night's 17 point comeback win against NBA champs San Antonio -- in San Antonio with a shot at the buzzer.

The Pistons have a 7 game winning streak and are playing exciting and fun-to-watch basketball.

Reason? It seems to have all started when they dumped Josh Smith and injured Jodie Meeks returned. Smith was a very good but lethargic player whose star status demanded he play, but he also seemed to put molasses in their offense. It also put Greg Monroe on the bench. Now that he's gone it seems like the team is twice a fast and is exploding end to end. How fun.

I don't know if this is for real yet or if they are just in some sort of twilight zone but they have my attention. Behind it all they have their first genuine superstar emerging with 21 year old Andre Drummond. The weak sister of Detroit sports is showing hope.

Their playing better right when I started to picture Okafor in a piston uniform... Sigh

They are buying in to SVG. He's always been a good coach, he took Orlando to the NBA Finals eventually losing to the Lakers.

Pistons are on the winning streak after Josh Smith was let go! I hope it lasts.

You always here people talk about the importance of spacing in the NBA game and this is the most dramatic example I've ever seen. Meeks and Butler are hitting 3's, and for some reason suddenly Jennings and Augustin are shooting well also. This unclogs the middle allowing the guards to drive to the hoop and allows room for Monroe and Drummond to maneuver. In short, it makes everyone better. Singler is the only player who looks lost at the moment. He's totally lost confidence in his shot.
    This run screws up my plans to stay downtown for the auto show and a Wings game next week. I may have to make the drive to northern Michigan for a Pistons game after all.

Atlanta comes in Friday, riding a 6 game winning streak, vs the Pistons 7 gamer. That should be a epic game. Atlanta is one of the best teams in the NBA with a 27-8 record.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; January-08-15 at 11:14 AM.

Josh Smith is no longer clogging up the middle, and there is no longer a big need to get the ball to the high-priced free agent "star". Josh was another mistake of the late Joe Dumars regime, which seemed to lose touch with the way the NBA game has evolved over the past several years. So "superstar" Josh would get his 20, and the Pistons would get blown out. Now they can space the floor and create more open looks for more players. To say nothing of the improvement in defensive speed. It's a classic case of addition by subtraction.

Having said that though, it is hard for me to imagine that the this current group of players could rise to become a serious playoff contender [[better than, say, an 8 spot or so). There really isn't still anywhere near enough talent here, and once the good teams catch on to the changes and adjust, I don't think they'll keep surprising those teams. And it will take them a good long while to win back their fan base. Still, it is nice to see them throw some actual fear into those teams, and no longer be viewed as an automatic and easy win.

I can't believe they're only 3 games out of the 8th playoff spot. The East is such a crap conference. Nice to see them relevant again, though. Like Strong used to say "The Pistorn And Cuming!" [[Sic)

They have one glaring need - small forward. It would be great going into the offseason just trying to fill that need but if Monroe leaves it's back to square one.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    They have one glaring need - small forward. It would be great going into the offseason just trying to fill that need but if Monroe leaves it's back to square one.
    You got that right. I think how they finish the season will determine Monroe's fate. If they make the playoffs or finish strong, I think he stays, maybe... Him and Drummond are a tough cover in the post. They need a SF that can score and get his own shot. Singler is a decent player, but he doesn't scare nobody and he's better suited to come off the bench.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; January-09-15 at 12:13 PM.

Just when it looked like the Pistons had it figured out they have lost the top player and leader of the recent resurgence.

Brandon Jennings has seriously injured his left leg, reportedly a season-ending torn achilles.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nb...ucks/22299027/

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Just when it looked like the Pistons had it figured out they have lost the top player and leader of the recent resurgence.

Brandon Jennings has seriously injured his left leg, reportedly a season-ending torn achilles.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nb...ucks/22299027/
    This injury can easily linger well into next year. The only possible upside for the Pistons is he may be a lot cheaper to re-sign since his contract will be up. Gores sure hasn`t had much luck with this team.

You guys think the Pistons will ever move back downtown again? It just seems like a bad business move to have them located way up in auburn hills. They would have much better attendance if they were located in Detroit, and with Illitch putting up the new red wings arena, it only makes sense to have them both play out of the new building. Nobody from downriver or novi, plymouth, Ann Arbor wants to drive to auburn hills to watch a game. It's just frustrating.

Now that Brandon Jennings well be out, my p prediction reads that they will sign former 2-time slam dunk champion Nate Robinson to a 10-day contact to fill in the point guard position as a backup for DJ Augustin.

Quote Originally Posted by Junkin4Life View Post
    Now that Brandon Jennings well be out, my p prediction reads that they will sign former 2-time slam dunk champion Nate Robinson to a 10-day contact to fill in the point guard position as a backup for DJ Augustin.
    Good call, they might go after him or someone like Jordan Farmar, who was released by the Clippers. They need another PG with experience, besides rookie Spencer Dinwiddie.