Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Northland Macy's targeted for closure

It's official. Northland is already about to loose Target and then this happens to the only anchor tenant remaining there.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...hfields-acting

Will the last inline store left at Northland please turn their lights off?

Sad. In a way the Northland Hudsons, eh [[showing my age) um, Macy's was a good one. Even in recent times, they had a strong women's clothing section, far better than Fairlane. A mall that large cannot continue without an anchor store.

R.I.P. Northland...

Eastland I'm sure will join you soon.

Hudson's at Northland had to be one of the biggest branch stores ever built in the country. It has a historic place in the history of Detroit retail but it is no surprise it's closing. And I agree, Eastland Macy's will be the next to close.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Sad. In a way the Northland Hudsons, eh [[showing my age) um, Macy's was a good one. Even in recent times, they had a strong women's clothing section, far better than Fairlane. A mall that large cannot continue without an anchor store.
    very sad to see it go. here's a clip when it was thee shopping destination in the area:

http://youtu.be/Cuu-2sYB3ck

and today's ghetto hood stores [[starts about 2 mins into video):

http://youtu.be/IVEKGEd6YyU

stores to accomodate new, young shoppers looking for FUN and ENTERTAINMENT at Northland:

http://youtu.be/BNXYtfl2rgQ

In some respects, kudos to Macys for keeping it open so long. Northland has been struggling since the 80's, and the fact it made it to 2015 is kind of impressive. Probably by 1985 or so, it was clear that Northland would not be around forever.

I would guess the whole thing will be demolished at some point, and replaced with big box retail or something campus-like for one of the local institutions [[the hospital or community college).

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    In some respects, kudos to Macys for keeping it open so long. Northland has been struggling since the 80's, and the fact it made it to 2015 is kind of impressive. Probably by 1985 or so, it was clear that Northland would not be around forever.

I would guess the whole thing will be demolished at some point, and replaced with big box retail or something campus-like for one of the local institutions [[the hospital or community college).
    Yeah, my expectation is that the management pulls a tel-twelve and the mall is turned into an outdoor big box strip mall

Open a City Macy's in downtown Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Cater to the five-finger discount crowd?

There was a "City Macys" in Detroit. It was called Hudsons, and died back in 1983, when Detroit had twice the population and buying power, and when Woodward was still semi-thriving.

More blight and abandonment in declining Oakland county

MAcc Guest

It would not surprise me if this store operated in the red to keep certain shoppers away from Oakland Mall and especially the Somerset Macy's.

Not only a Detroit-area problem. See New York Times article from January 3rd. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/bu...alls.html?_r=0

The Northland store is one of several store closures that were announced today:

• Metro Center, Phoenix, AZ [[107,000 square feet; opened in 1973; 88 associates);
    • Cupertino Square Mall, Cupertino, CA [[177,000 square feet; opened in 1997; 111 associates);
    • Promenade [[main store), Woodland Hills, CA [[192,000 square feet; opened in 1993; 112 associates);
    • Promenade [[furniture gallery), Woodland Hills, CA [[81,000 square feet; opened in 1993; 19 associates);
    • Gulf View Square, Port Richey, FL [[84,000 square feet; opened in 1981; 78 associates);
    • Northland Center, Southfield, MI [[504,000 square feet; opened in 1954; 170 associates);
    • Wendover, Greensboro, NC [[141,000 square feet; opened in 2002; 83 associates);
    • Ledgewood Mall, Ledgewood, NJ [[73,000 square feet; opened in 1994; 79 associates);
    • ShoppingTown Mall, DeWitt, NY [[120,000 square feet; opened in 1993; 94 associates);
    • Rotterdam Square, Schenectady, NY [[120,000 square feet; opened in 1995; 98 associates);
    • Kingsdale Shopping Center, Columbus, OH [[108,000 square feet; opened in 1970; 115 associates);
    • Richmond Town Square, Richmond Heights, OH [[165,000 square feet; opened in 1998; 105 associates);
    • Upper Valley Mall, Springfield, OH [[156,000 square feet; opened in 1971; 79 associates);
    • Southland Mall, Memphis, TN [[150,000 square feet; opened in 1966; 112 associates).

Source: Macy's press release at http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=84477&p=RssLanding&cat=news&id=200 5216

Last edited by catch22; January-08-15 at 05:34 PM.

lots of layoffs, lots of job loss.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    The Northland store is one of several store closures that were announced today:

• Metro Center, Phoenix, AZ [[107,000 square feet; opened in 1973; 88 associates);
    • Cupertino Square Mall, Cupertino, CA [[177,000 square feet; opened in 1997; 111 associates);
    • Promenade [[main store), Woodland Hills, CA [[192,000 square feet; opened in 1993; 112 associates);
    • Promenade [[furniture gallery), Woodland Hills, CA [[81,000 square feet; opened in 1993; 19 associates);
    • Gulf View Square, Port Richey, FL [[84,000 square feet; opened in 1981; 78 associates);
    • Northland Center, Southfield, MI [[504,000 square feet; opened in 1954; 170 associates);
    • Wendover, Greensboro, NC [[141,000 square feet; opened in 2002; 83 associates);
    • Ledgewood Mall, Ledgewood, NJ [[73,000 square feet; opened in 1994; 79 associates);
    • ShoppingTown Mall, DeWitt, NY [[120,000 square feet; opened in 1993; 94 associates);
    • Rotterdam Square, Schenectady, NY [[120,000 square feet; opened in 1995; 98 associates);
    • Kingsdale Shopping Center, Columbus, OH [[108,000 square feet; opened in 1970; 115 associates);
    • Richmond Town Square, Richmond Heights, OH [[165,000 square feet; opened in 1998; 105 associates);
    • Upper Valley Mall, Springfield, OH [[156,000 square feet; opened in 1971; 79 associates);
    • Southland Mall, Memphis, TN [[150,000 square feet; opened in 1966; 112 associates).

Source: Macy's press release at http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=84477&p=RssLanding&cat=news&id=200 5216

Remember that Macy's is a grand collection of many of the local department store chains which once existed in the US. Most of its locations are "legacy" stores. While Macy's seems to be doing well [[their stock is), they need to idenitify and close those stores which are a drag.

Macys could open a rainbow type store in Detroit selling last years products or clearance goods. When the element in downtown Detroit improves Macys could open a complete store downtown if not on Woodward maybe in the RenCen The RenCen is getting more retail in the Winter Garden. Henry Ford Optim Eyes just opened across from Jos A Bank

Macys could open a rainbow type store in Detroit selling last years products or clearance goods.
    TJMax, Marshalls, Home Goods, Ross Dress For Less, Big Lots, and similar pretty much clear out the overruns and clearance items. Easier to just wholesale it out than to set up your own store for it.

I know what L.B. Patterson is going to blame Northland Mall Macy's closure on, black people!

Even though it's been a long time coming, I'm kind of dismayed to see this location closed. For those of us too young to experience Hudson's downtown, Macy's, when it was Hudson's, was probably the closest to the downtown store in granduer than all the other mall locations.

I have heard that the Eastland Macy's is down to just two floors.

Can anyone confirm/refute?

504,000 square feet?!?! Lord, that's a good size for even a downtown flagship! I'm sure Macy's hasn't been using at that footage as of late, but would that have made it it's largest outside New York and Chicago?
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; January-09-15 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post

The last time I was in there [[about 5 years ago), there was still merchandise on 3 of the floors, that was the 1st/2nd floors and the basement [[I think there were 4 floors including the basement during its peak?)...

I do know when Sears moved into the old JC Penney [[which had 3 floors including the basement), they only used the 1st and 2nd floor, but not the basement [[access to the basement was restricted/hidden). Then of course whe Sears moved in, they bricked up the entrance near the Target/Kohl's wing [[where the new food court is)

Then of course Shoppers World and previously Steve and Barry's only use one floor of the old Montgomery Ward. Access to the 2nd floor has been completely restricted/hidden...
    Last edited by 313WX; January-09-15 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post

Yes, Eastland Macy's is down to the first and second floor only. Although the beauty salon may be open on the 4th floor. It's really odd, they just built walls around the escalators to the basement and third floors.

Northland like other commercial property in Southfield, will probably sit there and rot for some years, before they decide if anything will be done with it. I did hear a church has taken up residence in the old JC Penneys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast