Views: 1563
Size:  52.5 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 4.54.52 PM.jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 4.57.08 PM.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  54.5 KB

from the wxyz video... exciting stuff! lol... i really am glad this is finally happening though.. big day for detroit moving forward

That area is huge [[Fisher/Temple Woodward/Clifford). The 2nd photo really shows the scoop of that entire footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    That area is huge [[Fisher/Temple Woodward/Clifford). The 2nd photo really shows the scoop of that entire footprint.
    God's footprint, methinks. And, I'm not religious, but it seems to me that if there were a God, that would probably be his shoe size

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    God's footprint, methinks. And, I'm not religious, but it seems to me that if there were a God, that would probably be his shoe size
    Its god sized alright, Godzilla that is! Godzilla invades Midtown!

ゴジラ
    ゴジラ ゴジラ

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Its god sized alright, Godzilla that is! Godzilla invades Midtown!

ゴジラ
    ゴジラ ゴジラ

You got it! Godzilla!

It is big, indeed. And what makes it so interesting is that the arena, PER SE, isn't that large, BUT the project area, not counting the arena, we be say 1.5x times the size of the arena.

I count essentially [[smallish) 15 blocks [[5 x 3, counting the blocks using the townhouse street grid [5 blocks] and 3 blocks deep [[from Woodward to Clifford).

I believe the arena will occupy say 6 of those 15 blocks.

[[I'm using the middle photograph above to map out blocks).

EDIT: If one wants to use Google maps, the project area is 8 blocks but only TWO the arena itself...

The point should be is that the arena per se is a small fraction of the land area to be used for the other development.
    Last edited by emu steve; April-25-15 at 07:58 AM.

The point should be is that the arena per se is a small fraction of the land area to be used for the other development.
    I can't wait to see some more info come out on the pedestrian bridge over I-75 with the storefronts on the bridge itself. Chris Ilitch talked about this at one of the District Detroit presentations and said it was a key part in this project to connect Midtown to Downtown. The bridge is being renovated with this in mind and is currently being finished up with the M-1 rail construction.

This project has always involved a hotel between Henry/Fisher and according to the Freep, a third-party developer is looking to build one with 130-170 rooms. This would be huge for making sure the city can land more major events in the future. There's no reason we can't host a Final Four at Ford Field on a more consistent basis like Indy. Michigan has two premier college basketball programs and plenty of college hoops fans, plus Detroit did a great job last time around when MSU made the final. Once this entire project is complete, we'll have a hotel with three stadiums nearby, light rail on Woodward and plenty of bars/restaurants within walking distance.

MLive posted some more photos
    http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...s_for_det.html

Here's a nice shot of Woodward and the site:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by alfbundy; April-25-15 at 11:34 AM.

I wouldn't get too excited about retail on the bridge. That's certain to be kiosks which open a couple of hours before an event, hocking souvenirs.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I wouldn't get too excited about retail on the bridge. That's certain to be kiosks which open a couple of hours before an event, hocking souvenirs.

i know a guy that works for one of the contracting companies for illitch and he said it was going to be a 3 story building over the bridge..

doesn't sound like kiosks...

having said that even if it was just a one story building only open event nights [[which it won't be, see above statement)... that's still way better than just a plain bridge.. maintaining the streetwall is key

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...rict/26328343/

FreeP article quoting a few members of the Detroit Historic Commission noting the flimsy argument being made for demolishing the Park Ave.

If the commission denies Olympia's demolition plans, there are other avenues to tear down the Park Avenue. Olympia could ask the city to declare the building, which has stood since 1924, a public hazard fit for an emergency demolition. Or Olympia could appeal the commission's decision to the Michigan State Historic Preservation Review Board, which is appointed by the governor.
    Maybe they'll pull a Madison-Lenox.

f the commission denies Olympia's demolition plans, there are other avenues to tear down the Park Avenue. Olympia could ask the city to declare the building, which has stood since 1924, a public hazard fit for an emergency demolition. Or Olympia could appeal the commission's decision to the Michigan State Historic Preservation Review Board, which is appointed by the governor.
    They are just wasting their time dragging it out. If they deny the request to demo the building, it goes up to state level which is appointed by the governor. Snyder fully supports this project and was the one who approved the deal.

Snyder paid a visit to the Strategic Fund board moments after it approved the deal and said the new arena is very exciting for Michigan." Detroit's really on a comeback path," he said. "I think Detroit is absolutely poised for a bright exciting future. This is just another proof point in that exercise."

Snyder said this will help to link Midtown and downtown.

"This is really a connector to bring it all together," he said.

He said he can justify the use of tax dollars on the project, given Detroit's finances, because it is about investing in the city's future.

"This is a catalyst project," Snyder said. "This is going to be where the Red Wings are. Who doesn't get fired up in Detroit about the Red Wings? Come on now, the people that are criticizing are people from outside of Michigan. This is something that is important to all of us."
    It's time to move Detroit forward and give up this obstructionist posturing.
    Last edited by alfbundy; April-26-15 at 12:52 AM.

Park Avenue literally isn't an obstruction to anything other than Olympia's master plan to not preserve anything that's as old as Mike Ilitch himself.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...rict/26328343/

Interesting article. It sheds some light on what will happen next.

Fascinating about the designation designed to gain tax credits [[to spur development). That obviously isn't the case here as the Ilitches aren't seeking tax credits to redevelop the building [[that's as obvious as the sun rising in the east).

BTW, what I found interesting comment below [[from Freep) about the provisions seldom discussed in some historic preservation cases:

"City officials familiar with the Historic District Commission's work expect Olympia to argue that demolition of the Park Avenue meets the criteria for a historic preservation exception allowed under city law. The exception is for historic structures that are "a deterrent to a major improvement program that will be of substantial benefit to the community." [[Freep)

"City officials familiar with the Historic District Commission's work expect Olympia to argue that demolition of the Park Avenue meets the criteria for a historic preservation exception allowed under city law. The exception is for historic structures that are "a deterrent to a major improvement program that will be of substantial benefit to the community." [[Freep)
    Other than that flimsy security excuse and because Park Avenue doesn't fall under the footprint of the arena or any of the ancillary buildings, the only possible excuse is that investing and maintaining the building would cause severe financial distress for Olympia. Which obviously would be a stretch.

Otherwise they could pull out the old "the building is so unstable and just ready to fall over that it could fall over during construction".

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Other than that flimsy security excuse and because Park Avenue doesn't fall under the footprint of the arena or any of the ancillary buildings, the only possible excuse is that investing and maintaining the building would cause severe financial distress for Olympia. Which obviously would be a stretch.
    I doubt it's financial since Ilitch could have made a lot more money by selling the building to a third-party developer to turn it into a hotel they want in the area. Instead of building a new one between Henry and Fisher, they could have changed the footprint of the arena and turned the area next to Park Ave. into more profitable surfacing parking. That can't be done anymore because the demoed area can only be used only for: bike racks, retail kiosks, green space and open passage for the loading dock. There was a justification for the revised plan otherwise city council would not have approved the rezoning. As I mentioned earlier in this thread [[I actually attended two of the council meetings), parking and traffic was a big issue for councilwoman Lopez [[project is in her district) and renovating this building would have created additional problems. Basically, if someone had a concrete plan for this building they had plenty of time to come up with one since the delayed vote in November.
    Last edited by alfbundy; April-26-15 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alfbundy View Post
    The plan was changed with the approval of city council. Councilwoman Lopez [[arena is in her district) wanted an increase in public space [[which is what's happening with the area being made into green space and bike racks) plus some terms for secure biking on Cass, razing Park Avenue helped in that regard. You also have to remember that parking was a big issue and keeping Park Ave. would have created a need for even more parking decks etc.
    Ok, so instead of some small inconsequential park in the Park Avenue Hotel's spot, why not extend the parking garage just north of the hotel to add 50 to 100 more parking spaces to that deck? And with that thought, I'm assuming the Ilitches got the go-ahead to eliminate those other 400 parking spaces in the parking deck? If so, then it's clear to me that the Ilitches prefer surface parking spaces over parking deck parking spaces. Yeah, I get it, it's cheaper. However, it's sad that the Ilitches appear to not want to spend that extra money to have a more attractive streetscape. Good corporate neighbor, right.

Basically, if someone had a concrete plan for this building they had plenty of time to come up with one since the delayed vote in November.
    You are assuming that Olympia was open to selling the building for redevelopment, how do you figure that? He has had that building earmarked for demolition since he bought it in 2012. Let me guess, nobody is interested in his other rotting buildings in GC Park either?

Basically, if someone had a concrete plan for this building they had plenty of time to come up with one since the delayed vote in November.
    Why would someone waste their time on a "concrete plan" for a building that Olympia would never sell to them?

And it begins...
    Deal for apartments by Comerica Park close
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...park/26957499/

Wasn't sure if this belonged in it's own thread or not.

Good to see this is progressing. Between that and the new Little Caesars headquarters across the street, that's really going to make a nice wall going down Woodward there. Also the mention of another possible building raising on Adams is nice to hear. Maybe, just maybe, the Illitch's are finally going to follow through on these grandiose plans we've been hearing about for 2 decades.

Kinda pissed they plan to close off Montcalm Street through the site....

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    Kinda pissed they plan to close off Montcalm Street through the site....

this actually really bothers me... whyyyy do they have to do that??? it honestly hurts the walkability of the area to take away a 4-way intersection like that.... putting a building there is phenomenal and i'm very happy about that but come onnnnn that's so unnecessary

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    this actually really bothers me... whyyyy do they have to do that??? it honestly hurts the walkability of the area to take away a 4-way intersection like that.... putting a building there is phenomenal and i'm very happy about that but come onnnnn that's so unnecessary

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The original "plans" when they announced the Red Wings arena showed two buildings connected by a skybridge over the street. They may not close the street.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Good to see this is progressing. Between that and the new Little Caesars headquarters across the street, that's really going to make a nice wall going down Woodward there. Also the mention of another possible building raising on Adams is nice to hear. Maybe, just maybe, the Illitch's are finally going to follow through on these grandiose plans we've been hearing about for 2 decades.
    Never any doubt in my mind.

"There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven..."

Now is the appointed time [[2015, 2016) for all of this construction to begin.

Never thought the appointed time was 5, 10, 15, or 20 years ago...

This has been my 'forecast' as long as we have been discussing these matters: 2015, arena; fall 2015 [[after Tigers' season is over), apartments, parking garage; 2016, probably, Fox office building.

I really think all of this was pretty easy to read. Just needed an open mind.

Page 9 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast