Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: White Castle

DetroitBoy Guest

Default White Castle

An institution in Detroit, what's your favorite story? They are even offering veggie sliders for the new year!

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local-news/...a-limited-time
    Last edited by DetroitBoy; December-31-14 at 09:57 AM.

I like certain veggie burgers. I saw that and immediately wondered if they will be cooking those on the same griddle they do the meat. For some this would matter [[not being snarky).

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I like certain veggie burgers. I saw that and immediately wondered if they will be cooking those on the same griddle they do the meat. For some this would matter [[not being snarky).

saw another article about this, it said that they were using seperate grilsl and special turners to cook these burgers

Better than eating 100% kangaroo meat!

Or cow meat and entrails from cows fed who knows what, breathing the noxious air of central China.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-31-14 at 10:43 AM.

Radio reports say the veggie slider has more calories that the "meat" sliders. What kind of vegetables are they using? Maybe it the sauce.

Maybe it's the lard they cook them in? Jokes aside that does seem crazy.

Intriguing, hopefully the test run will determine the regions where people really respond to these. I won't be buying any. My severe allergies to eggs and nuts prevent me from eating the majority of these "veggie meat" products, as most involve eggs or nuts in the processing. My last experience with trying a black bean slider at the Palace almost resulted in a hospital trip.
    Last edited by Hypestyles; December-31-14 at 04:42 PM.

There's really only two things left in town that are still worth a damn--White Castle hamburgers and National Coney Island dogs. I'm not interested in seeing veggie burgers on the menu.

I hear that Midnight! Nothing better sometimes than 3 or 4 naughty sliders with everything and cheese! Take 'em home and sprinkle on a bit of granulated garlic powder onto the meat! Umm, good.

Washed down with a NON diet coke. Healthy no, but an occasional bit of low-rent culinary fun!
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-31-14 at 01:29 PM.

I hear that Midnight! Nothing better sometimes than 3 or 4 naughty sliders with everything and cheese! Take 'em home and sprinkle on a bit of granulated garlic powder onto the meat! Umm, good.

Washed down with a NON diet coke. Healthy no, but an occasional bit of low-rent culinary fun!
    Yeah, buddy! Truth be told, I go for 10 to 12 White Castles with mustard and onions in one sitting. Bliss.

I ate a half dozen in their parking lot once, in the dark...... Something about a steering wheel facing you makes them more tasty!

I did not throw the boxes out the window though... I was raised to be tidy and not litter!

I ate a half dozen in their parking lot once, in the dark...... Something about a steering wheel facing you makes them more tasty!

I did not throw the boxes out the window though... I was raised to be tidy and not litter!
    Thank you for not littering it is a subject that drives me nuts. My front yard is fenced. Today, just today, I picked up candy wrappers, a plastic juice bottle, a lottery ticket, a coffee cup and a donut box. I don't take it personal as others in the neighborhood with fenced front yards claim the same.

I didn't eat my first slider until I was 39. I am not a vegetarian, but we don't eat more then 2 or 3 ounces of meat a day at most, my eldest son is vegetarian since he was 15. About 4 times a year, I crave those little buggers, my max is two. My husband 4. If we have company I buy that huge bag. They freeze well, leave in those cardboard containers, roll the bag tight, freeze. Nuke for 30 seconds and they taste fresh.
    Last edited by sumas; December-31-14 at 07:38 PM.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by midnight rambler View Post
    yeah, buddy! Truth be told, i go for 10 to 12 white castles with mustard and onions in one sitting. Bliss.
    PUSH it. PUSH it REAL GOOD!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  49.7 KB

Great, now I've got the munchies....

Yes, I hate to see folks litter, like throw fast food stuffs right out their car window while driving. Who does that? Well apparently too many! And we wonder why the city looks like it does. Thanks for the headsup on the WC burger-freeze-for-later tip...... weee!

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Thank you for not littering it is a subject that drives me nuts.

I must have some of dem' burgers to break in the new year at some point soon. Hah!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Great, now I've got the munchies....

I must have some of dem' burgers to break in the new year at some point soon. Hah!
    I'll bring the garlic powder!

DetroitBoy Guest

Those are the two Detroit spices. Garlic powder and onion salt. That's all you need with mustard and ketchup on everything!

"Granulated" garlic is best...... No salt added. It cooks or tops things better and has more bite than the powdered.

"Granulated" garlic is best...... No salt added. It cooks or tops things better and has more bite than the powdered.
    Agreed. Next time you're in the 'hood, stop @ Dearborn Snausage and buy a can of "Pride of Szeged" garlic powder. It's uncut, and the real deal. You might want to try their Hungarian Paprika, also VERY good. The "hot" is my favorite.

If people are going to get goofy about AA not being "Detroit," calling a company founded in Kansas and HQ'd in Ohio a Detroit institution should really get their goat.

My biggest WC memory? watching people waiting outside DAYS before the first Joliet, IL location opened.

Detroit has its own slider legacies. and they are all FAR better than WC

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Agreed. Next time you're in the 'hood, stop @ Dearborn Snausage and buy a can of "Pride of Szeged" garlic powder. It's uncut, and the real deal. You might want to try their Hungarian Paprika, also VERY good. The "hot" is my favorite.
    Is that on the edge of eastern market? Would love location, Hungarian paprika is really hard to find. Cardamon is another hard to find item. It's essential for turkish coffee. The caffeine in the coffee can keep a person awake for days but it is so good with Baklava, which I make maybe twice a year.

Agreed, now I want some. Don't go east on Gratiot much but there was a WC west of Connor, might be there, might not, if not I will brave on to the one on 8 mile if necessary. I am due for my fix.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    If people are going to get goofy about AA not being "Detroit," calling a company founded in Kansas and HQ'd in Ohio a Detroit institution should really get their goat.

My biggest WC memory? watching people waiting outside DAYS before the first Joliet, IL location opened.

Detroit has its own slider legacies. and they are all FAR better than WC
    Yeah, I'm not sure how a national chain that has nothing to do with Detroit would be considered an "institution", especially with all the good local slider places around here.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Is that on the edge of eastern market? Would love location, Hungarian paprika is really hard to find. Agreed, now I want some. Don't go east on Gratiot much but there was a WC west of Connor, might be there, might not, if not I will brave on to the one on 8 mile if necessary. I am due is another hard to find item. It's essential for turkish coffee. The caffeine in the coffee can keep a person awake for days but it is so good with Baklava, which I make maybe twice a year.
    Dearborn Sausage Outlet is on Wyoming and Dix, where Vernor ties in. Bozek Market in Hamtown used to carry the line but recently dropped it. Super Greenland Supermarket, Warren and Miller Roads, should have Cardamon.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast