Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Graffiti of angel holding police officer at gunpoint

This building located right on Woodward, just north of West Grand Blvd!

Graffiti of angel holding police officer at gunpoint spurs outrage

From article: DETROIT, Mich. [[WJBK) - Both police and the director of a youth center in Detroit call a recent graffiti painting "hurtful."

The image is anything but angelic and to call it infuriating may be an understatement.

Someone spray painted an angel holding a police officer at gunpoint on the Youthville Building at the Plymouth Educational Center on Woodward.

The location is kitty corner to the Detroit Police Department Third Precinct.

"I don't believe looking at the painting that God would give an angel a gun to shoot a police officer," said Steve Dolunt, assistant Detroit police chief. "I think God gives angels to police officers to try to protect them."

Dolunt does not believe this painting represents how the vast majority of Detroit feels about its officers.

"Thirty-six times in the last 29 and a half years an angel wasn't there to help us," he said. "So I'm disheartened, dismayed, but I think we'll get through this."

In the painting the officer has his hands up - the same posture some witnesses say Michael Brown was in when a police officer was shot and killed this summer.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/27...-spurs-outrage

Do you honestly just park out at myfoxdetroit, and just find the most disturbing stories you can to stir sh%t?

It's the actions of one person. Hopefully most people don't agree with what the message is, and hopefully this "art" will not influence anyone to have ill-will toward a very important police force.

Across from a precinct? Looks like that took about 5 cans of paint and an hour to do. Must be an abandoned precinct.

Maybe someone at the precinct can get some paint and cover it?

No. Shucks! Thanks for the compliment, but I'm not even a republican. Would you like me to post the same story from WDIV, Click on Detroit, etc? I am sure they will run it eventually if not sooner. Sorry to dash where you were heading...

I posted this story as it's related to Midtown, of which I live nearby. I find it a bit shocking the vandal[[s) got away with this as the area is often police cruised [[dig the irony there).

Graffiti: good, bad, indifferent or political is a topic often discussed here in Detroityes. And the tie-in with the broader story re. questionable policing, protests and deaths therein.

In any event just move on if you don't like the title of a given thread. I do. Some I don't even open such as those posted re. sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Do you honestly just park out at myfoxdetroit, and just find the most disturbing stories you can to stir sh%t?
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-31-14 at 12:49 PM.

I'd have literally not said anything had I not noticed that this was your second post just this morning troll [[i.e. the classless "Home for the Holidays" troll). Just know that this isn't going unnoticed. You may think we're all fools, just know that you're going to be called out for your hit-and-runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Maybe someone at the precinct can get some paint and cover it?
    Maybe some concerned citizens ought to do it for them.

Per the article and photos it has already been painted over.

I stand duly 'checked' as today's 'troll' I suppose. Sniffles... But opinions vary, and I post on various subjects. I happen to be home this morning.

"Think we're all fools" and name calling [[?) That is really a 'personal' stretch beyond my interest. Maybe time for a tea or coffee break for you? ok.

I go for times of posting nothing - when busy - everyone needs to maintain a life beyond keystrokes. That's the way of it, and should be. As I said I just ignore posts that don't interest me. Put me on your ignore list.

I stated my position clearly and precisely for posting the article.

To explain and debate further would entertain something beyond my original intent. Have a grand rest of the morning and day.

I'd have literally not said anything had I not noticed that this was your second post just this morning troll [[i.e. the classless "Home for the Holidays" troll). Just know that this isn't going unnoticed. You may think we're all fools, just know that you're going to be called out for your hit-and-runs.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-31-14 at 10:45 AM.

You may think we're all fools,
    No, Not all, just some.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    It's the actions of one person. Hopefully most people don't agree with what the message is, and hopefully this "art" will not influence anyone to have ill-will toward a very important police force.
    I actually find it sort of ironic. Anyone remember this incident from a few years ago? Back then it was considered just a random isolated invent. Yet if the same thing were to happen now, the connotations would be totally different.

Though, the problem is not that this graffiti would probably influence most rational people to shoot at a police office or whatever, but rather that there are mentally-ill people out there who already are suffering from issues that make them more likely to act out these tragic events. That or a career criminal has nothing to lose and chooses to commit suicide by cop. Either way, this single piece of graffiti might not be the trigger to make them act, but it does foster the idea the this sort of act is acceptable or encouraged. Obviously, the "artist" of the graffiti is likely very ignorant to this and in fact many protesting police brutality [[mostly Millennials it seems) in recent weeks are likely just as ignorant. Where are all the protesters for non-violence?!

Totally disgusting and very rude form of art. It's the graffiti artist's calling card to kill police forces.

Excellent points. Context and connotation make the difference. Along with mental conditions some are in to take action, seizing justification from many sources.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    I actually find it sort of ironic. Anyone remember this incident from a few years ago? Back then it was considered just a random isolated invent. Yet if the same thing were to happen now, the connotations would be totally different.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-31-14 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Maybe some concerned citizens ought to do it for them.
    Where is it exactly? Maybe "someone" will later today

angels can only shoot love bullets.

Where is it exactly? Maybe "someone" will later today
    Great, maybe other concerned citizens will join you.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...eStations.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post

Though, the problem is not that this graffiti would probably influence most rational people to shoot at a police office or whatever, but rather that there are mentally-ill people out there who already are suffering from issues that make them more likely to act out these tragic events. That or a career criminal has nothing to lose and chooses to commit suicide by cop. Either way, this single piece of graffiti might not be the trigger to make them act, but it does foster the idea the this sort of act is acceptable or encouraged. Obviously, the "artist" of the graffiti is likely very ignorant to this and in fact many protesting police brutality [[mostly Millennials it seems) in recent weeks are likely just as ignorant. Where are all the protesters for non-violence?!
    If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a noise?

If a person is so mentally unstable that they would assassinate two police officers, who are in no way provoking him, he likely would have done something like that sooner or later. Those police officers didn't die because people are protesting the very real issue of police misconduct. That is just media spin. They are dead because someone who should not have had access to a gun was able to access one and shoot them.

New York will almost certainly file wrongful death suits against Georgia and the pawn shop in Georgia where the gun was purchased. During the Bloomberg administration whenever a cop was killed in New York with a gun purchased out of state -- which almost always came from pro gun law states in the southeast -- New York would sue the state where the gun was obtained.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...lice-pawnshop/

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/25/ny...-officers.html

So while this graffiti makes an interesting news story, it is much ado about nothing in the context of preventing police officer murders. I'd be comfortable going out on a limb and saying that most/all guns used in criminal acts threatening the safety of Detroit police officers come from pro gun rights states in the southeast, so that is where they should be directing their efforts to protect their safety.

Its just a random act of stupidity, inspired by a misguided protest movement inspired by misguided souls who incorrectly think policy brutality and racism is the problem for black society.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    So while this graffiti makes an interesting news story, it is much ado about nothing in the context of preventing police officer murders. I'd be comfortable going out on a limb and saying that most/all guns used in criminal acts threatening the safety of Detroit police officers come from pro gun rights states in the southeast, so that is where they should be directing their efforts to protect their safety.
    I'd like to see some data to back this one up, and some relevance. Most guns come from factories that make guns. Most cars that kill people are owned by pro-car people. Who the fuck cares?

Oh I forgot, no one is responsible for their actions these days. Blame the object.

...If a person is so mentally unstable that they would assassinate two police officers, who are in no way provoking him, he likely would have done something like that sooner or later. Those police officers didn't die because people are protesting the very real issue of police misconduct. That is just media spin. They are dead because someone who should not have had access to a gun was able to access one and shoot them....
    A protest movement demands action, and then denies that action might have inspired the actor? If police are indeed killing black youths without cause, it is not an unreasonable reaction.

Liberal MSNBC: "The chant I didn’t hear on Dec. 13 was the one captured on a cell phone video and uttered by a small group numbering a few dozen, marching in a cluster behind a makeshift banner:
    “What do we want? Dead cops! When do we want it? Now!”
    [/quote]
    Of course I know this small group of a few dozen protesters is not representative of what Al Sharpton and Bill DiBlasio or the movement think. But do you also think these protesters are not influenced by the protests to say what they did say?

The protesters are not responsible for the cops killing, but they have the burden of creating a hostile environment toward cops. DiBlasio doesn't understand this either, so I'm not surprised that you don't.

Your actions matter. And when you verbally attack police as a group you are no better than a cop who stops blacks for DWB. You are making a generalization that is false.

Oh I forgot, no one is responsible for their actions these days. Blame the object.
    By this logic it should be legal for blind people to drive cars. Let's do away with vision tests for drivers licenses since it's SOLELY the responsibility of the person driving the car to not kill anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    A protest movement demands action, and then denies that action might have inspired the actor? If police are indeed killing black youths without cause, it is not an unreasonable reaction.

Liberal MSNBC: "The chant I didn’t hear on Dec. 13 was the one captured on a cell phone video and uttered by a small group numbering a few dozen, marching in a cluster behind a makeshift banner:
    “What do we want? Dead cops! When do we want it? Now!”

Of course I know this small group of a few dozen protesters is not representative of what Al Sharpton and Bill DiBlasio or the movement think. But do you also think these protesters are not influenced by the protests to say what they did say?

The protesters are not responsible for the cops killing, but they have the burden of creating a hostile environment toward cops. DiBlasio doesn't understand this either, so I'm not surprised that you don't.

Your actions matter. And when you verbally attack police as a group you are no better than a cop who stops blacks for DWB. You are making a generalization that is false.
    Okay, so take your tit-for-tat issues up with the people who made that chant and let us adults discuss the real issue of police misconduct.

By this logic it should be legal for blind people to drive cars. Let's do away with vision tests for drivers licenses since it's SOLELY the responsibility of the person driving the car to not kill anyone.
    That was sarcasm lol. I was poking fun at liberal thinking.

Okay, so take your tit-for-tat issues up with the people who made that chant and let us adults discuss the real issue of police misconduct.
    What evidence is there of widespread police misconduct?

I think we all accept that blacks are more often the victims of police brutality -- but that's not evidence of widespread misconduct. Its evidence of inequal distribution of crime -- the real problem we also need to solve.

What I'd like to see is statistical trends that show that police brutality or misconduct is an increasing problem. I think it is a decreasing problem.

In NYC and in Detroit, I believe it is generally safer for blacks than in the past.

Whaaaaat?????

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast