Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Jim Harbaugh to be named Head Football Coach at U. of Michigan per multiple reports

This is a big deal for southeast Michigan, as I believe Harbaugh will be the highest profile head coach in southeast Michigan from day one [[including the 4 major pro sports) given his success/turnarounds at Stanford and San Francisco. Official announcement is expected on Tuesday, and Harbaugh is expected to attend the 3:00 PM Mich v. Illinois basketball game that day and speak at halftime. Since this isn't yet official, pick your preferred news source:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/co...augh/20964875/

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...g-um/20961857/

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12...t-jim-harbaugh

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...m-coach-122814

None of these links support your claim. There are some commentators who are betting that he will join the Wolverines, but no one claims that he has signed, or is definitely coming.

I don't get why Harbaugh would join the Wolverines. Professional sports is the pinnacle of success, his wife prefers California, his home is California, the money is the same or more in the NFL, his ego is huge yet he would be in the minor leagues, you don't have to spend most of the year recruiting, you have an almost impossible task due to Midwest demographics [[the population and talent is mostly in the South nowadays), and pro coaches are not responsible for their men as college coaches are in the NCAA.

But if it happens, it happens. There will be nothing happening until after today's game, and until Harbaugh reviews the probable NFL offers from Oakland, Chicago, Miami and the NY Jets.

Yup its pretty much a done deal according to a lot of Michigan sources. This has been brewing for weeks and most of the NFL commentators are in shock that someone would have the nerve to leave the NFL for College. I don't think any NFL coach would turn down to be the coach of Michigan for 6 years and $50 mil which surprisingly is more money than Belichick makes in NE. Its so much better dealing with kids and you're in charge of everything with no GM to worry about. Harbaugh is a smart dude. The NFL will chew you up and spit you out. Over $8 mil per year plus living in Ann Arbor with everyone on campus respecting you. Welcome Coach Harbaugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    None of these links support your claim.
    Did you even click on the links? John U. Bacon, who is just about the most trusted writer on Michigan athletics, said this:

"I just got off the phone with more sources tonight. It's done. Jim Harbaugh is coming to Michigan — and his friends are flying in Monday,"
    You're not gonna find much more certaintly than that until his press conference. And you're about a week behind on this story if you still think he's going to entertain NFL offers.
    Last edited by artds; December-28-14 at 05:21 PM.

Just goes to show that, "Money talks, B.S. walks"

None of these links support your claim. There are some commentators who are betting that he will join the Wolverines, but no one claims that he has signed, or is definitely coming.
    Yet you'll grab any hearsay as "proof" that he's not coming, right? I mean, who told you that his wife prefers California? LOL.

San Francisco has already flat-out let Harbaugh out of his contract, free and clear. That would not have been the case if there was any seriousness about NFL offers.

So when do you plan on changing your story--once Harbaugh lands in Michigan today, after Tuesday's press conference, or after his appearance at the Michigan-Illinois basketball game?

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Yet you'll grab any hearsay as "proof" that he's not coming, right? I mean, who told you that his wife prefers California? LOL.
    Fairly sure it was widely reported when he turned down UofM last time it was in part because he didn't want to uproot his family for a cross country move and wife preferred not to uproot to come to AA. I think alot of that got repeated earlier on this time around.

Now that he's been fired..er um..."released" from the 49ers and no other NFL team seems interested, I suppose being the highest paid coach in the NFL semi pro farm system is worth the cross country move this time.

I wonder though, had harbaugh NOT gone to UM would the UM slappy nation be so enthralled with the guy? Nice college resume, very nice pro resume, but notoriously difficult to work with and the team he took to the Superbowl 3 years ago just showed him the door.

Maybe it's a great hire, but really highest paid coach in all of college football? The blue and yellow kool aide drinking is pretty hilarious. Will be interesting to see them turn on him around year 4 when he's not won any big ten championships and maybe split a few rival games. That'll be about when he's looking to get back to the NFL anyway so maybe no big loss.
    Last edited by bailey; December-29-14 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Fairly sure it was widely reported when he turned down UofM last time it was in part because he didn't want to uproot his family and wife preferred not to uproot to come to AA. I think alot of that got repeated earlier on this time around.

Now that he's been fired..er um..."released" from the 49ers and no other NFL team seems interested, I suppose being the highest paid coach in the NFL semi pro farm system is worth the cross country move this time.
    I don't think any of those rumors about Mrs. Harbaugh wanting to stay in California were true. The relevant truth, however, is that neither Jim Harbaugh nor Les Miles were willing to work for a pompous egomaniac like Dave Brandon. Brandon's *ahem* resignation was a necessary first step to land a top coach.

I wonder though, had harbaugh NOT gone to UM would the UM slappy nation be so enthralled with the guy? Nice college resume, very nice pro resume, but notoriously difficult to work with and the team he took to the Superbowl 3 years ago just showed him the door.
    It's a speculative question, but I think so. He's a proven coach and motivator. If you win, you're beloved at Michigan. And in Ann Arbor, Harbaugh will have complete control over the program. No issues with player contracts, no complaints about his players being treated unfairly by management, no personality clashes with a general manager.

Maybe it's a great hire, but really highest paid coach in all of college football? The blue and yellow kool aide drinking is pretty hilarious. Will be interesting to see them turn on him around year 4 when he's not won any big ten championships and maybe split a few rival games. That'll be about when he's looking to get back to the NFL anyway so maybe no big loss.
    Well, that's pure speculation on your part, isn't it? I've been amazed at how many Buckeye and Sparty fans have called this coaching search "embarrassing" for Michigan. How is it ever embarrassing to hire the best possible candidate for a job, and especially when he's a proud alumnus, at that?

I don't get why Harbaugh would join the Wolverines. Professional sports is the pinnacle of success, his wife prefers California, his home is California, the money is the same or more in the NFL, his ego is huge yet he would be in the minor leagues, you don't have to spend most of the year recruiting, you have an almost impossible task due to Midwest demographics [[the population and talent is mostly in the South nowadays), and pro coaches are not responsible for their men as college coaches are in the NCAA.

But if it happens, it happens. There will be nothing happening until after today's game, and until Harbaugh reviews the probable NFL offers from Oakland, Chicago, Miami and the NY Jets.
    No offense, but virtually everything you've written here is inaccurate.

I don't think any of those rumors about Mrs. Harbaugh wanting to stay in California were true. The relevant truth, however, is that neither Jim Harbaugh nor Les Miles were willing to work for a pompous egomaniac like Dave Brandon. Brandon's *ahem* resignation was a necessary first step to land a top coach.

It's a speculative question, but I think so. He's a proven coach and motivator. If you win, you're beloved at Michigan. And in Ann Arbor, Harbaugh will have complete control over the program. No issues with player contracts, no complaints about his players being treated unfairly by management, no personality clashes with a general manager.

Well, that's pure speculation on your part, isn't it? I've been amazed at how many Buckeye and Sparty fans have called this coaching search "embarrassing" for Michigan. How is it ever embarrassing to hire the best possible candidate for a job, and especially when he's a proud alumnus, at that?
    I'm not sure anyone is calling this time around "embarrassing". LAST time around was a straight up shit show. This time around? I mean if you've decided Harbaugh is your guy... I think throwing all the money you have on the table and promising him he won't have an AD in the lockerroom breaking down game film with you is just fine. Rumors about Mrs. Harbaugh, true or not... they were part of the story last time around and were repeated here in the early on. Can anyone blame her if true? AA vs. SF? C'mon now.

My only point is that if this were MSU, UM fans would be all over the fact that MSU just offered a soft landing to a coach that just got fired and had no other NFL options at this time. I mean had hoke not been fired, would Harbaugh be a college HC job right now? Looking like no...if one believes the reporting. He's going to need to win the big ten and get a spot in the playoffs year one to justify being the highest paid coach in college football right off the bat. Again, just trying to be objective about the obscene money and all the fanaticism.
    Last edited by bailey; December-29-14 at 12:06 PM.

I'm not sure anyone is calling this time around "embarrassing". LAST time around was a straight up shit show. This time around? I mean if you've decided Harbaugh is your guy... I think throwing all the money you have on the table and promising him he won't have an AD in the lockerroom breaking down game film with you is just fine. Rumors about Mrs. Harbaugh, true or not... they were part of the story last time around and were repeated here in the early on. Can anyone blame her if true? AA vs. SF? C'mon now.

My only point is that if this were MSU, UM fans would be all over the fact that MSU just offered a soft landing to a coach that just got fired and had no other NFL options at this time. I mean had hoke not been fired, would Harbaugh have an NFL HC job right now? Looking like no...if one believes the reporting. He's going to need to win the big ten and get a spot in the playoffs year one to justify being the highest paid coach in college football right off the bat. Again, just trying to be objective about the obscene money and all the fanaticism.
    No NFL options? There are several teams--Oakland, Chicago, and the Jets to name three--that would love to have Harbaugh's services. Oakland was rumored to have sent representatives to the Niners game yesterday. But none of the NFL teams were allowed [[by league rules) to contact Harbaugh until he was either 1) released from his contract, which would never be the case if he were staying in the NFL or 2) the 49ers season ended. If Harbaugh didn't want to go to Michigan, he would have had options [[and money) in the NFL.

No NFL options? There are several teams--Oakland, Chicago, and the Jets to name three--that would love to have Harbaugh's services. Oakland was rumored to have sent representatives to the Niners game yesterday. But none of the NFL teams were allowed [[by league rules) to contact Harbaugh until he was either 1) released from his contract, which would never be the case if he were staying in the NFL or 2) the 49ers season ended. If Harbaugh didn't want to go to Michigan, he would have had options [[and money) in the NFL.
    We'll never know because it didn't come out that way, but the facts here are Baalke wanted him gone, the locker room was in open revolt, and they had tried to trade him last year. His NFL options were [[again if we're going to believe NFL reporters and their pro nfl bias) limited. I guess the question I have is did Harbaugh WANT to go to Michigan [[or back to college in general) or was it an offer [[in light of all else) that couldn't be refused? I think he'd be nuts to say no to UM's dumptruck of cash, for all the reasons you noted, he gets to have total control over college kids that aren't getting hundreds of millions..and the good ones with the biggest egos are only there for 2-3 years... but if UM wasn't backing up that dumptruck....?

I'm interested to see how long the honeymoon in AA lasts in light of such an astronomical amount of money for a guy that hasn't won an NC. How many years of "he just needs to get 'his guys' into the program"... "Hoke left the cupboard was bare"... "it's a transition"... excuses for losing to rivals and in big games does he get when every article written from here on out will note; "Harbaugh, currently the highest paid coach in NCAA football..."?
    Last edited by bailey; December-29-14 at 10:38 AM.

I'm interested to see how long the honeymoon in AA lasts in light of such an astronomical amount of money for a guy that hasn't won an NC. How many years of "he just needs to get 'his guys' into the program"... "Hoke left the cupboard was bare"... "it's a transition"... excuses for losing to rivals and in big games does he get when every article written from here on out will note; "Harbaugh, currently the highest paid coach in NCAA football..."?
    I suppose I'm just not the pessimist you are, and I suspect Jim Hackett isn't one either.

It's awful hard to win when you're trying to Not Lose, you know.

The 2007 coaching search was completely bungled [[read John U. Bacon for more on this), and Dave Brandon merely wanted a coach he could control [[a patsy like Hoke). Jim Hackett has played everything perfectly thus far, and I think it's safe to assume that Harbaugh sees an opportunity to establish a meaningful legacy in the footprint of a coach he greatly admires and reveres.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; December-29-14 at 10:47 AM.

I suppose I'm just not the pessimist you are, and I suspect Jim Hackett isn't one either.

It's awful hard to win when you're trying to Not Lose, you know.

The 2007 coaching search was completely bungled [[read John U. Bacon for more on this), and Dave Brandon merely wanted a coach he could control [[a patsy like Hoke). Jim Hackett has played everything perfectly thus far, and I think it's safe to assume that Harbaugh sees an opportunity to establish a meaningful legacy in the footprint of a coach he greatly admires and reveres.
    I really don't think I'm being pessimistic, I'm being realistic. Unless Harbaugh and UM totally sells out everything they claim to hold dear and goes full SEC North like Urban [[Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain't come to play SCHOOL classes are POINTLESS) Myer's OSU....we're all just playing for second place.

I really don't think I'm being pessimistic, I'm being realistic.
    No "Type A" firebrand ever uttered those words. That's just an excuse. Reality [[perceived or otherwise) doesn't have a damned thing to do with anything. You think a guy like Jim Harbaugh is successful because he listens to naysayers?

But yeah, you're right. Maybe U of M should just roll over and play dead. Because Urban Meyer Nick Saban SEC something. I mean, why even try?

No "Type A" firebrand ever uttered those words. That's just an excuse.

But yeah, you're right. Maybe U of M should just roll over and play dead. Because Urban Meyer Nick Saban SEC something. I mean, why even try?
    I don't think they should roll over, but the holier than thou/"this is MEEEChigan we don't do that" stuff doesn't win national championships. If doing it "right" did, Saban wouldn't have 4 NCs under his belt. Dropping 48 million on the coach is only half the solution if one expects Saban like success.

Now, if we're going for Bo like success... as in winning a bunch of conference championships in a mediocre conference and losing the rosebowl most of the time, but being well regarded and running a clean program....sure. Hell, Hoke could have done that given the time.

What I'd like to see is programs like Michigan drop the silly charade, a charade that is even sillier now that you've just set the pay bar, that the money sports are anything but professional development leagues so the conference playing field is leveled.

. You think a guy like Jim Harbaugh is successful because he listens to naysayers?
    I think he's had success because he's passionate about his job and winning. I think you can't have consistent success in the college game unless you ignore most of the rules...which is something UM claims it doesn't do.
    Last edited by bailey; December-29-14 at 11:20 AM.

What I'd like to see is programs like Michigan drop the silly charade, a charade that is even sillier now that you've just set the pay bar, that the money sports are anything but professional development leagues so the conference playing field is leveled.

I think he's had success because he's passionate about his job and winning. I think you can't have consistent success in the college game unless you ignore most of the rules...which is something UM claims it doesn't do.
    With a shit attitude like that, I wouldn't hire you to shovel my driveway.

Harbaugh did things "the right way" at Stanford and won. Now, if Saban is breaking all sorts of rules at Alabama [[and Meyer at Ohio State), why don't you tell us what those broken rules are? Because, quite honestly, it takes a lot of balls to make excuses as to why Michigan should not be hiring the most obviously qualified candidate for the job.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; December-29-14 at 11:29 AM.

Not sure why all the hate Bailey. Michigan did exactly what they were supposed to do and hire the best candidate available. I like Harbaugh a lot. He did wonders in Stanford and then translated the success into the NFL. If Harbaugh, can translate this success to Michigan, it will be exciting and provide some competition to Ohio State. The one thing about being a successful head coach in College is that you are like a god there. They build statues for you and name buildings. Everyone on campus worships you. In the NFL, you win the Super Bowl one year and then you finish 7-9 2 years later and you are shown the door. You think they named a building in Baltimore over Brian Billick or have a statue in Tampa Bay for Jon Gruden?

With a shit attitude like that, I wouldn't hire you to shovel my driveway.
    If you hired me to shovel your driveway but then gave me a hand trowel and a half an hour to do it, I'd be happy to take your money, fail at the job, and then collect the rest of the pay when you fired me for not getting the snow removed fast enough.

Harbaugh did things "the right way" at Stanford and won.
    ..he was there for 4 years and promptly left for the NFL. yes, he had success. But does an about .500 record overall and winning one bowl game now equate to highest paid coach in college football? I'm not sure NFL coaching success is as transferable because of the vast difference in the structure... unless you're going to the SEC...then it's the same, but with younger players that you have absolute control over.

Now, if Saban is breaking all sorts of rules at Alabama [[and Meyer at Ohio State), why don't you tell us what those broken rules are?
    oh come the fuck on. Start with the rampant over signings, then work your way through the dirty recruiting and round it out with with the lack of any actual academic standards.

Because, quite honestly, it takes a lot of balls to make excuses as to why Michigan should not be hiring the most obviously qualified candidate for the job.
    I don't think anywhere I said that and if I said something that inferred that it wasn't my intention. I'm saying slappies such as yourself seem to be saying that all of michigan's problems are now solved and cabinets for all the NC trophies should now be built because they threw 48 million at a coach. I'm saying that is a good start.... giving that coach ALL the tools to recruit and retain top tier talent is the second step.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Not sure why all the hate Bailey. Michigan did exactly what they were supposed to do and hire the best candidate available. I like Harbaugh a lot. He did wonders in Stanford and then translated the success into the NFL. If Harbaugh, can translate this success to Michigan, it will be exciting and provide some competition to Ohio State. The one thing about being a successful head coach in College is that you are like a god there. They build statues for you and name buildings. Everyone on campus worships you. In the NFL, you win the Super Bowl one year and then you finish 7-9 2 years later and you are shown the door. You think they named a building in Baltimore over Brian Billick or have a statue in Tampa Bay for Jon Gruden?
    Its not at all "hate". It's the way its being reported as the second coming of Jesus [[as was Rich Rod, and was Hoke). And I think the fans in AA won't hesitate to build a cross for him if he doesn't have immediate success [[as they did with RR and as they just did with Hoke)
    Last edited by bailey; December-29-14 at 01:37 PM.

This is just a win, win, win, win and win.

It's good for the Ohio State rivalry [[which had all but evaporated), the MSU rivalry, the Big 10, the state of Michigan, and most importantly...the ego's of the U-M Alumni [[which had all but shriveled, dried and blown away).

As an MSU Alum, it really is more fun watching these games when both programs are healthy and both teams are good. I've watched the past few years with amusement and a certain amount of pity. Harbaugh is the epitome of arrogance and will fit into his new role at U-M perfectly. What a great personality to love [[if you're a Wolverine) and hate [[if a Buckeye or Spartan).

Of course, the rumors of a return to the NFL will descend upon Ann Arbor annually...but that will simply add to the delicious soup.

What a great day for the region!

I really don't see what all the hype about Harbaugh is for. He's a good coach, but there is no guarantee he comes here and wins, and it won't be a immediate turnaround. Yet UofM is giving a _hitload of money, to a guy that is somewhat a quirky pariah. The national and local media is blowing this story up like one previous poster said, as if this was the second coming of Jesus. I mean C'mon.......Not being a "hater", just speaking facts.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-29-14 at 02:11 PM.

It is the second coming of Jesus when you had Brady "No headset" Hoke here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    It is the second coming of Jesus when you had Brady "No headset" Hoke here.
    I think short trip in into the internets wayback machine to revisit some of the trumpets from on high heralding the return of the MEEEChigan MAN at Hoke's arrival.
    "His impressive credentials and his previous experience with U-M tell me he is a leader both on and off the field. I look forward to the 2011 season and the excitement that is Michigan football.”
    “If you don’t win your conference championship, you’re not winning the national championship. … Our goal is to win the Big Ten championship — multiply and consecutively.”

Hoke said he felt good that Charles Woodson and Tom Brady, among others, including former players in the room, recommended him to Brandon.
    and how the missing headset was all about teaching and mentoring the young student athletes.
    For all the passion and energy Hoke brought to the sideline in his first game as head coach, one thing was missing: his headset. That was by design.
    With both coordinators calling the plays for their respective unit, Hoke doesn’t necessarily need to wear a headset. Without it, he has more time to do what he loves: teach.
    Every program talks up the new hire when they've just canned the last guy... but UM and the local media take institutional amnesia about the last guy and the hype-machine for the new hotness to a whole other level.

First take a deep breath and relax. You sound like someone burned your house down... Not really sure why this is such a touchy subject with you.

Hoke had a below .500 record before Michigan with small schools. Harbaugh took Stanford to new heights and then he took the SF 49ers to 3 straight NFC Championships and a loss to his brother in the Super Bowl. To compare Hoke to Harbaugh is like comparing a Ford Focus to a BMW. I didn't want to bring this up but it sounds like you're a MSU fan. Just can't explain your behavior in this thread. Its bizarre.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast