Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Gas Prices in Detroit Falls Below $2 Per Gallon

I never thought I'd see these days again, but the lowest prices I've seen so far for gas [[NE Detroit) is $1.89 per gallon, and the highest prices I could find over most of the east side is $1.99 per gallon.

$20 is almost enough to fill up the tank again, lol.

What about in your part of the Detroit area? What are the gas prices like?

Big winners? Detroit and Detroit - metro Detroit and Detroit = the auto industry.

The oil patches will suffer. [Yeah i know breaks your heart]

The only question is how long this be allowed to continue by the big oil players.

Got picture proof.

And I was going to make a thread about this too.

Kinda reminds me of the war-free late 1990's.
    Last edited by mtburb; December-28-14 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Big winners? Detroit and Detroit - metro Detroit and Detroit = the auto industry.

The oil patches will suffer. [Yeah i know breaks your heart]

The only question is how long this be allowed to continue by the big oil players.
    Until the Holiday season's over?

There's a station in Shelby Twp selling at $1.89 today.

Here's a link to a 6-month chart from DetroitGasPrices.com showing the history of the price decline.

It makes me wonder whether the price was held artificially high before that. The highest I've ever seen was $4.25. Ouch!

There's a gas station at 15800 Joy Rd & Prevost Ave that happens to be named after President Obama. Its price has been reported as the highest in the region for a few weeks now. It's currently reported at $3.39! That's suspiciously high.

Can anyone in that neighborhood give a visual confirmation of that price? TIA!

Ahh, it IS truly wonderful to see a twenty spot make the gas gauge needle move upward...... for now.

That station has prices all over the chart no matter what the average is and I keep on going and don't go there. Down the Rd. you're in Dearborn which tends to go a few cents lower even at high pricing times.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    There's a gas station at 15800 Joy Rd & Prevost Ave that happens to be named after President Obama. Its price has been reported as the highest in the region for a few weeks now. It's currently reported at $3.39! That's suspiciously high.

Enjoy it while you can. You know this stuff is going back to $3.99

Travel reports: We got it for 1.859 at a Pilot in mid-Ohio, Exit 135 off I-75. Lowest prices in KY, TN and GA, 1.939. Here in Titusville, FL, 2.399.

I picked a bad time to buy oil stock, about 4 months ago. Nice part is, I still get to benefit from the low prices!

I've heard people cite two reasons for low prices:

1) ISIS taking over oil fields and flooding the market with cheap oil
    2) OPEC increasing production to lower prices so that US and Canada production is no longer worth it, as the production methods are more expensive than middle eastern sources.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I've heard people cite two reasons for low prices:

1) ISIS taking over oil fields and flooding the market with cheap oil
    2) OPEC increasing production to lower prices so that US and Canada production is no longer worth it, as the production methods are more expensive than middle eastern sources.
    It runs deeper then that. They want to fuck with Russia so this will be done to put Russia in financial ruin. Its nothing to do with supply and demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    It runs deeper then that. They want to fuck with Russia so this will be done to put Russia in financial ruin. Its nothing to do with supply and demand.
    Yeah, they're hurting. I read Putin? cancelled their traditional Christmas break because the big wigs had to do some emergency work on their economy. Ruble's down 40%.

I filled my wife's suburban for her yesterday. A little over 26 gallons at 1.49 per gallon [[after Kroger discount) came to $40. A year ago a $100 bill would not have gotten the needle to full. This is great!

Meanwhile, in Montreal, a liter of gas is around 1.01$ which turns out to about 4,26 a US gallon. All this talk of gas is giving me indigg-gestion...

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Meanwhile, in Montreal, a liter of gas is around 1.01$ which turns out to about 4,26 a US gallon. All this talk of gas is giving me indigg-gestion...
    80% of the oil now comes to the US from Canada,a 66% increase from 2013.

Putin did threaten to put the US into an economic turmoil for supporting his adversaries,that probably was not one of his best moves.

The odd thing is a few power companies are starting to divest from their corporate owned coal mines,like they are expecting the glut to last ,I am still seeing a $30 extended fuel charge due to high fuel costs on my power bill though,and it will be interesting to see if my deliveries are still going to carry the $10 extended fuel charge tacked on when fuel prices shot up.

I guess for long term investing fuel stocks would be good to pick up now,especially if it becomes a harsh winter.
    Last edited by Richard; December-28-14 at 07:36 PM.

Around $2.50 a gallon here in Las Vegas, higher over the line in California. But they have nutsy taxes over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    80% of the oil now comes to the US from Canada,a 66% increase from 2013.

Putin did threaten to put the US into an economic turmoil for supporting his adversaries,that probably was not one of his best moves.

The odd thing is a few power companies are starting to divest from their corporate owned coal mines,like they are expecting the glut to last ,I am still seeing a $30 extended fuel charge due to high fuel costs on my power bill though,and it will be interesting to see if my deliveries are still going to carry the $10 extended fuel charge tacked on when fuel prices shot up.

I guess for long term investing fuel stocks would be good to pick up now,especially if it becomes a harsh winter.

The tax portion of the bill is huge here in Quebec, a great cash cow for the government, something like 90% goes to taxes I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Interesting! Makes sense. And the republicans wanted to start a war with Russia, while Obama's diplomacy\sanction route seems to be working very effectively.

Russia needs to go down a notch. I'm angry that America got involved in so many wars, but we haven't tried to annex any territory, we just take stable and semi-stable countries and destabilize so that terrorists can move in [[the exact opposite of stated goals...).

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

Suspiciously high? There is not even a word for that. I find it hard to believe that a gas station in Detroit would sell gas at almost $1.50 higher than a majority of gas stations. Pictures or it never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    Suspiciously high? There is not even a word for that. I find it hard to believe that a gas station in Detroit would sell gas at almost $1.50 higher than a majority of gas stations. Pictures or it never happened.
    Perhaps it went out of business at that price. I've seen that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    Perhaps it went out of business at that price. I've seen that happen.
    Hard to believe, true. Hence my request for eye witnesses.

At first I thought it might just be Obama Derangement Syndrome but then I noticed a different gasbuddy reporting a similarly high price. The reason I doubt that they went out of business is because the prices continue to be updated for that station.

It's still a mystery. Eye witnesses appreciated. Yes, photos prevail!
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-28-14 at 11:10 PM.

... let's see the food/snacks costs come down, too. Probably not, but anyway..

Thanks for the photos mtburb. We're paying about twenty cents a gallon across the big pond in Wisco, but it isn't bad. I have a car that gets about 35 miles a gallon, so I'm happy.

I'd agree with 48307 in post 11 on his #2, and Cliffy in post #12. Opec is pulling some strings because Russia & the U.S. are producing so much oil, but doing it with a high cost of productivity, subsidized heavily in the U.S. I don't know about Russia.

The upside is that fracking is down and all other resources that are harmful such as the expensive costs of new, in my opinion, sludge pipelines in critical areas that I hope don't come to fruition.

The downside is that vehicles like Tesla are already starting to take a hit. We've seen this happen so many times before. Are we that naive? Start buying Humvee's & jumbo SUV's again because gas prices drop artificially again for a few months.

I own a 4 wheel drive Silverado that gets about 12 miles a gallon, that I use on occasion to haul things. I have a 1992 Honda hatchback in mint condition that gets 35 miles a gallon. Why is that? A 23 year old vehicle that exceeds todays fuel standards. Will people start buying gas guzzlers again? It happened before. Opec sells oil and they want to keep selling maximum amounts. They seem to know how to keep the market where they want it. Russia is hurting so bad from this they've dropped the price of vodka by almost 50%. What does that tell you.

Enjoy the low fuel prices, but stick with vehicles that get good gas mileage. It isn't rocket science.

Hey! This would be a great time to raise the retail and wholesale tax on gas!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast