Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The David Whitney Opens to Sold out Demand

A former Fabulous Ruin of Detroit and crown jewel of Grand Circus Park, the David Whitney Building has finally reopened as the Aloft Hotel and Apartments. It's been a long time coming with lots of doubts and even more doubters but this snippet from Crain's tells it all.
    "All 108 apartments at The Residences at the David Whitney have been leased, and all of the hotel’s available 136 rooms were sold out for its first weekend, he said.

“People have been pulling on the doors, basically, for several months now,” Damitio said.

Though the apartments are all leased, the management company is still taking applications for a waiting list, he said.

The plan is to begin moving residents in after the first of the year in staggered fashion. “We’re trying not to create too much chaos at once,” Damitio said."

Link to the long-running David Whitney Building Renovation Hall of Fame thread >>

I thought maybe the apartment units with no outside facing windows might have not filled up quickly but I'm glad to be wrong in my assumption. Good news for others looking for examples of successful historic rehabs. If you do it right, they'll flock. Hopefully the rest of downtown's buildings are restored to their original grandeur.

Not to rain on any parades, but I flew into town last minute this weekend, and Starwoods lowest rate was definitely available at the Aloft. A suite was only $125 a night!

Quote Originally Posted by tielerh11 View Post
    Not to rain on any parades, but I flew into town last minute this weekend, and Starwoods lowest rate was definitely available at the Aloft. A suite was only $125 a night!
    Good for you, but what does that have to do with rentals at the David Whitney building?

The parade was last weekend [[19th-22nd). So you're not really raining on any right now.

This is great news!

But But But . Bham says noone WANTS to pay that much to live in Detroit though....

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    But But But . Bham says noone WANTS to pay that much to live in Detroit though....
    However misguided they are there absolutely are pockets of people more than willing to pay big city prices to rent downtown. I have even encountered a few people here who [[as silly as it sounds) brag about how much they are paying in rent. If the rent for prime real estate downtown was cut in half I'd probably jump at the chance to live there again but it just doesn't have the amenities to justify big city rents to me...but hey if people will pay up then that's all that matters I guess.

108 downtown apartments filled at door-open, fantastic.

Grand news indeed! That building sat empty forever... I recall it as child as a family member shared a small business in one of the suites.

How will parking be accommodated?
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-29-14 at 09:25 AM.

So, did you stay there? Although Aloft is a boutique hotel, its rates are pretty reasonable. Last spring, my wife and her friend got a room with two queens at the new Cleveland Aloft for about $90 a night.

...are they still hiring?

Anyone who is serious about a job would not be asking a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ...are they still hiring?

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    He/she asks the same question on all similar threads...

It looks fantastic, what a change. Book Tower your next!

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    you don't know me at all. stop bothering me. maybe I'm referring other folks to job leads.