Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What were the Big Detroit Stories of 2014?

Tell us what you consider are the big 2014 Detroit stories and why. Per this forum Detroit = the family of communities that comprise the Detroit-Windsor international metropolis. I'll start with one.

The Winter of 2014 - Worst. Winter. Ever. It seems so far away as I sit looking out at a snowless lawn on a relatively balmy December day but the winter of 2014 broke the record for total snowfall, setting several cold records in the process and staggered the economy. In my now lengthening lifetime, it was the worst winter ever.

The storms of August 11, 2014-produced some wild scenes, seeing all those freeways and underpasses just flooded out. Officially one of the worst storms ever.

Willi Guest

The sad thing about the flooding scenario is that it has been repeated numerous times in the past and will continue in the future; since underground infrastructure needs maintenance.
    How the GLWA and DWSD will operate in 2015 is still a big mystery, as they only met once.

As everyone wants development, more concrete/asphalt, it just means more water in the drains.
    Huge parking lots, massive flat roofs, impervious surfaces, all create more runoff issues.
    Rouge River, Clinton River, Detroit River, it has to go somewhere

Last edited by Willi; December-28-14 at 12:11 AM.

The regionalization of the DSWD was a huge story but not one that makes for equally huge headlines.

Detroit's bankruptcy was my No. 1 story, worrying about how it would affect my pension. We came out pretty well on that, but the loss of healthcare has been an economic blow. Was sweet, in the past, just paying $15 for a script [[$5 generic), but now we're paying through the nose, especially for the wife's insulin. Fortunately, I have Medicare, since I worked after retirement from the DPD. But many of my colleagues over 65 do not have Medicare [[we did not pay into social security on the job), and they are hurting....especially if they get sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Detroit's bankruptcy was my No. 1 story, worrying about how it would affect my pension. We came out pretty well on that, but the loss of healthcare has been an economic blow. Was sweet, in the past, just paying $15 for a script [[$5 generic), but now we're paying through the nose, especially for the wife's insulin. Fortunately, I have Medicare, since I worked after retirement from the DPD. But many of my colleagues over 65 do not have Medicare [[we did not pay into social security on the job), and they are hurting....especially if they get sick.
    Glad to hear your pension didn't take a hit. I know plenty of people that did take one on theirs. Especially the people who have to pay back that clawback of overcharged interest. I know a guy that has to pay back $25,000 dollars on his, and he's not a happy camper.

Bankruptcy aside, there were some positive downtown stories albeit not without some controversy.

1-The long-coming and apparently successful opening of the Whitney Building was the most recent.

2-Construction of the M1 Rail commenced.

3-Channel 7 announces it will produce a morning show from the Qube overlooking Campus Martius.

4-Fifth-Third announces it will move regional HQ into 1 Woodward.

5-Detroit Red Wing begin construction on a new half-billion dollar+ arena complex and surrounding retail and residential projects.

6-Little Caesars announces plans to build a HQ building between the FOX and Fillmore Theaters.

7-Luxury couture retailer John Varvatos begins construction of shop in the Wright Kay building.

8-Punch Bowl Social opens in the Gilbert garage as does 7 Greens salad restaurant and a Kicks shoe shop.

9-Gilbert downtown buying spree continues - too many and diverse to remember, the Compuware building being the most notable.

10-Renowned Birmingham Gallerist David Klein announces that he is moving his main facility to the Claridge. Claridge apartments also completes renovation.

11-The Detroit Tigers win their division yet again, draw 3 million, [then crash and burn in first round of play offs]

12-Detroit Athletic Club adds a roof top restaurant and facility.

13-Detroit Free Press and News leave their long time facility in the Detroit News Building moving to Gilbert-owned Federal Reserve building.

14-Dennis Kefallinos purchases the Michigan Building and begins office renovation and upgrades. Also commences construction on the former Shapiro WSU school of pharmacy building as residential conversion.

15-Village Green announces plans for construction of apartments on the Statler site, finishes upscale upgrades of the former Trolley Plaza and Millender Center apartments, nka Detroit City Apartments and Renaissance City Apartments.

16-The Albert Apartments open in Capitol Park, construction on the adjacent Detroit Savings Bank residential apartment conversion begins.

17-The Detroit Institute of Music opens its door across Capitol Park in the newly renovated ?? Building.

There is more and those are purely downtown. That's all I can pull off the top of my head for now. Please add.

The completion of the bankruptcy is far-and-away the biggest story of 2014, and likely ranks as one of the bigger stories in the city's history. Everything else is just kind of background noise; important background noise, but background noise nonetheless relative to the bankruptcy.

Belle Isle becomes a State Park. Another big story and again not without controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Glad to hear your pension didn't take a hit. I know plenty of people that did take one on theirs. Especially the people who have to pay back that clawback of overcharged interest. I know a guy that has to pay back $25,000 dollars on his, and he's not a happy camper.
    Yeah, that's a bummer, Cinci. Fortunately for police and fire, that fund never paid a 13th check. We grumbled at the time[[s), but are thankful now.

I think Lowell's post pretty well sums up the rest of the year. Over all, things are looking a heck of a lot better than they were a year ago.

I think Ficano coming in 5th place in the primary was a pretty significant story.

For the "if it bleeds it leads" category I nominate the Bashara murder case and trial. Pure tabloid sensationalism from start to finish.

Big stories or at least the stories that stick out in my mind as notable:

Matty Marroun gets to work on the MCS train station, even if he's tight-lipped about his plans for it. It looks to me like it'll be the next Las Vegas 'Bellagio';

Red Wings arena in the Cass Corridor between Woodward and Cass Avenues;

Detroit turned 313 years old in July 2014;

Members of the YBN gang identified as the murderers of French artist Bilal Berreni, who, until then, had been an unidentified corpse for the best part of a year;

Dimitri Hegemann comes to Detroit from Berlin to discuss making Fisher Body Plant 21 into a massive music and arts venue;

The continuing improvements seen along Woodward Avenue. The city's regeneration will start downtown and move up Woodward Avenue until New Center is thriving again.
    Last edited by night-timer; December-31-14 at 01:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Dimitri Hegemann comes to Detroit from Berlin to discuss making Fisher Body Plant 21 into a massive music and arts venue;
    Along that ^line is the announcement of Robert Elmes moving and reprising his renowned Galapagos Gallery and art space from Brooklyn to Detroit, acquiring the former Highland Park High School on Glendale and other buildings.

The explosion in the Detroit restaurant scene. We've always had good food here, but the growth in number options really took off this year. It seemed like we couldn't go a week without a new place opening or the announcement something in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Wow! I relate to script costs, one pill my husband takes is just under $500, refill necessary monthly.

Mostly my personal significant storys are small, health care for all, feds decriminalizing weed, state eliminating nuisance taxes on tickets, alien ie hispanics getting a moritorium. Many of these things do not personally affect me but does in my community. I love my community. ergo it affects me.