Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The Fabulous Murals of Detroit

Among a background of the buildings of our city, both still in ruins and being brought back to life, there are many murals awaiting you adorning their exterior walls...some that are highly visible and some by upstart artists that aren't as well known as even the ones you see at the DIA.

Let's attempt to catalog them all. I'll start with what's probably the most well-known one.

Add your favorite mural from anywhere in the city here-even if you only made it up [[like the one above).

Willi Guest

Just because someone puts paint on a wall, doesn't automatically make it pretty.

Not always but I usually find it more attractive than grey concrete.

I'm surprised this Deadline Detroit article a ways back didn't get some gab space here. http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...l#.VvGZ0DGYGnYI seem to recall that there was a thread where folks agreed that they liked the old constructivist stuff [[along with the monolithic 70's bronze retro look of some architecture, and then I sent a link-or at least I think I did-for the "Allegro" mural in Cincinnatihttp://citybeat.com/cincinnati/artic...rals_past.html). If that be the case, than there was no improvement with the hideous ad for 7-11 [[which as I pointed out many times was always absent from Detroit boundaries-so, yeah, I grew up without Slurpees).

Also, I smirk and shake my head when I see the inflammatory posts of those who crank off on a thread that is more geared towards fans of [[versus say the usual open-ended posts) a subject. That's no different than someone posting a thread asking about churches or fish fries, and then having someone one drone on about evils the church did back in the dark ages and what Bill Maher said about blah blah blah blah. I mean, have some sense of decorum, man. It would be like if I were to get on someone's thread on favorite muscle cars and spouted about car emissions, roadkill, auto fatalities, and how these guys are rednecks compensating for small tallywhackers or something else bile-laden [[and if I have, please forgive me, for I know I've offended my good share of hipsters and religious groups).

Don't know the name of it but it is visible from I-75 on the Russell Industrial building. Pretty unique, has a lion, trees, and wind.

Before and after:

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    Before and after:

What sort of asshat would do that?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    The kind who doesn't consult a skilled milliner for a proper fitting before inserting his head.

Sad to see another ghost mural get exorcised.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    What an absolute disgrace!

Yesterday I went shopping in my hometown of Leeuwarden, the Netherlands. I saw new mural that was commissioned where there was a depiction of Landgravine Mary Louise, and all the ancestry that came behind her. Every royal house is represented. All currently reigning monarchs in Europe are descending from her and her husband. I saw this being created last summer. The unveiling was done by none other that King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands, who is also a descendent of this princess who is buried in Leeuwarden.

Represented on the mural are:
    - Hans Adam II, furst of Lichtenstein
    - Filip, King of Belgium
    - Albert II of Monaco
    - Henri Grand duke of Luxembourg
    - Carl Gustav XVI, king of Sweden
    - Filipe VI, king of Spain
    - Elisabeth II, queen of Great Britain
    - Willem Alexander, king of the Netherlands.
    - Margarethe II, queen of Denmark
    - Harald V, king of Norway

All are descendents of Maria Louise of Hessen Kassel.

There's your history lesson of today.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; March-27-16 at 10:25 PM.

the Perre twins" How and Nosm" have begun their mural on the back of compuware today. there's also a drone hovering overhead likely capturing a zoomy time lapse for us all to see after completion
    Name:  IMG_6974.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  129.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    the Perre twins" How and Nosm" have begun their mural on the back of compuware today. there's also a drone hovering overhead likely capturing a zoomy time lapse for us all to see after completion
    Name:  IMG_6974.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  129.7 KB
    More graffitti to come before they leave.