Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default From Rust Belt to Blue Belt

Inner-resting article about the future of cities North and South. There is often talk of this on these threads, the commodification of water, etc... Anyways, it all makes sense to me, and I also think Canadian cities have that added advantage. Meanwhile, let's freeze our butts and look forward to a better future.

http://www.hamptoninstitution.org/ru...tml#.VJgxybjAU

The climate of the future will rearrange the fortunes of urban America. Rising temperatures will scorch most of the Sun Belt even as drought and increasing storms batter economies in the mostly poorly planned boom cities of the South and West. Depressed industrial cities like Milwaukee and Detroit will shed their rust and become sought-after metros, positioned next to the natural wealth of the Great Lakes. Environmental economics professor Matthew Kahn predicts, "millions of people will be moving to these areas." According to Kahn, as the climate radically shifts, Detroit, in particular, will become "one of the nation's most desirable cities."

Merry Christmas to all on this forum!

And best wishes to you too Canuck.

More likely government will try to divert water. Fortunately Canada will have a huge say in that.

Merry Christmas and boxing Day.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    More likely government will try to divert water. Fortunately Canada will have a huge say in that.

Merry Christmas and boxing Day.
    I remember one year when the Mississippi was extremely low, threatening and even stopping transportation. The governor of Illinois floated a plan to divert more water from Lake Michigan through the Chicago River to the Mississippi and whoever the governor of Michigan was [[Blanchard, maybe?) said that if they attempted it, he would be within his rights to send in the Michigan National Guard to stop it. I doubt that is actually true, but the plan never went forward

Heh. Flush those Asian Carp back to the delta.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Heh. Flush those Asian Carp back to the delta.
    I don't want to lose any of our water resources around here, but I like the plan to flush the Asian Carp back down south. Good idea Jimaz.

First off Joyeux Noel Canuck.

We certainly are blessed with a surplus of fresh water but are we sometimes a bit smug? With advancing technologies one wonders if some huge breakthrough in cheap desalinization or condensation could lessen that as an economic advantage - if our poisoning of our waters doesn't do the same thing first.

I can see where it would make us lazy too. Scarcity forces innovation, drip irrigation, gray water recycling and conservation thinking.

But until then I think the Great Lakes basin should have simple price point for movement of water outside of it, like to Texas - a barrel of water for barrel of oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    First off Joyeux Noel Canuck.

We certainly are blessed with a surplus of fresh water but are we sometimes a bit smug? With advancing technologies one wonders if some huge breakthrough in cheap desalinization or condensation could lessen that as an economic advantage - if our poisoning of our waters doesn't do the same thing first.

I can see where it would make us lazy too. Scarcity forces innovation, drip irrigation, gray water recycling and conservation thinking.

But until then I think the Great Lakes basin should have simple price point for movement of water outside of it, like to Texas - a barrel of water for barrel of oil.
    And Happy Holidays to you too, Lowell!

Yes, as far as trade goes, water for oil would do nicely for me too, lol . And a very happy holiday time to you, Lowell!