Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I can't believe I was raised in this state. Things were so different then. It's almost unrecognizable now.
    Well Michigan experienced a massive economic collapse over the last 3 decades [[if you include the time Chrysler needed to be bailed out and the other big Automakers were liquidated in the 1980s). So of course things would be much different now than they were in the 1940s-1970s.

Welcome to life in Michissippi in the post-economic apocalypse...
    Last edited by 313WX; December-23-14 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Was referring to poster you quoted. Always has something to say about Grosse Pointe. Probably got a traffic ticket [[or his parents did) and had to move out for some reason.
    My apologies kind sir. I think his/her assessment is so far off base.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Really, this whole state is a mess. I never thought in my life things would be this bad. We have the most dangerous cities in the country. The roads are a mess. It's all violence, all the time. Me and the misses are fed up and we're moving next October. I mean, when even the toniest cities in the region are living surrounded by blight, violence, and fear, where is the quality of life? Are we really supposed to raise our family here, where even if we live in a nice neighborhood and send our kids to a good school they get blown away? I really don't believe a 16 year old was scoring heroin. Hell, I drank and smoked weed when I was younger. Nobody deserves to die from it. I can't believe I was raised in this state. Things were so different then. It's almost unrecognizable now.

FUCK MICHIGAN.

Poobert, sadly the world has changed and not for the better. The days of young people innocently toking and drinking are long gone. Many cities, large and small, have serious drug problems [[meth,crack,heroin and prescription pain killers) within their young adult population. It's sad but no place is really immune.

Check this out: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4937034.html

http://t.today.com/parents/prescript...ens-1D80157066
    Last edited by DetroitBoy; December-23-14 at 07:53 PM.

What the heck are those Richville teens doing in a blighted Detroit ghetto hood! They should have known they would be shot, robbed, mugged or killed by some black male wearing Trayvon Martins. If you have some protection, you have no business in the ghetto doing something stupid!

There are so many things wrong with this story and with the responses.

How, however, is the Assistant Chief Dolunt's statement acceptable in today's world? "The kids in Grosse Pointe -- they think it can't happen to them. People shouldn't blame the people in Detroit; your kids are buying drugs there." If a GPP resident blew away a 16 year old home invader from Detroit, using 30 rounds and then GPP Chief Hiller said "The kids in Detroit -- they think it can't happen to them. People shouldn't blame the people in Grosse Pointe Park; your kids are breaking and entering there," the city would erupt. No?

To make the situation even worse, we don't even know that these kids were there to buy drugs. While it seems like a strong possibility, I don't assume that I know more than the investigators and the Chief says most recently he's not aware of any statements that indicate they were there to buy drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by cjd View Post
    To make the situation even worse, we don't even know that these kids were there to buy drugs. While it seems like a strong possibility, I don't assume that I know more than the investigators and the Chief says most recently he's not aware of any statements that indicate they were there to buy drugs.
    Obviously if the kids were in Detroit to buy drugs [[and there's no reason to indicate they were- there are in fact reasons to be in Detroit other than buying drugs), it wouldn't change a thing. Purchase of controlled or outlawed substances has nothing to do with justifying murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Obviously if the kids were in Detroit to buy drugs [[and there's no reason to indicate they were- there are in fact reasons to be in Detroit other than buying drugs), it wouldn't change a thing. Purchase of controlled or outlawed substances has nothing to do with justifying murder.
    Even if they weren't buying drugs, I highly doubt that seemingly normal white girls from Grosse Pointe are up to anything good in an area like Philip and Charlevoix at night...

Not to blame the victim [[as no one deserves to be murdered in cold blood), but they sort of put themselves in harm's way.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Not to blame the victim [[as no one deserves to be murdered in cold blood), but they sort of put themselves in harm's way.
    They took unnecessary risks, but it really doesn't matter. Women wearing short skirts and tight tops are probably more likely to be harassed then women wearing burkas, doesn't mean that there should be some differing standard of sexual harassment based on the woman's attire.

Similarly, it may be statistically risky to be hanging on in hoods on the East Side of Detroit, especially if you look like an outsider, but that shouldn't have any influence on the public's reaction to the matter. We have freedom of movement, and the right to be safe at all times.

MAcc Guest

The girl that's dead: $24,000 a year for her private school, all A student, older sister a sorority girl at Michigan State, and it's her little brother's birthday today.

Here's the Detroit resident they were rolling around with, his dad, and their home:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 9.14.47 PM.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  32.1 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 9.15.22 PM.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  43.4 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 9.17.51 PM.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  30.0 KB
    Last edited by MAcc; December-24-14 at 02:43 PM.

Army fatigues and a bullet-proof vest who just commenced to firing,” said Detroit Deputy Police Chief Renee Hall.

With a fully automatic weapon.

Somebody is either a hired enforcer or at war for some reason or another.My speculation anyways.

OP link reads they were attempting to find ones brother.
    Second link reads they were going to the movies.

Back when I was young and pot was decriminalized in Minn, I do not remember actually pulling over to smoke,that would seem to throw up a red flag way more then driving while smoking.
    Last edited by Richard; December-23-14 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Yeah how does a girl who goes to a private school in GP end up hanging around with ghetto trash.

You mean a white girl hanging with ghetto trash. Because she was white trash maybe? May Heaven keep her and Rest her soul.

But wait. White trash is something else isn't it? Trailer trash, White trash are both related sociologically; economically speaking. What bothers me is this young white girl hanging around impoverished no good ghetto blacks. This young lady had it all, good parents who cared, braces are an evident sign of ease unlike the black boy's dad; toothless and hooded. Anyhow, how does a young white girl of ease get mixed up in this horrorshow?

Maybe the problem with Detroit is that there are no longer fences to keep to the straight and narrow, figuratively or no. Folks should learn to find themselves first, reckognize the community they belong to, and remain steadfast and true to the ideal of purity, or at least identity in the strictest sense.

Rest in peace Paige, let this be a lesson to those who would stray outside the pale.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MAcc View Post
    Nobody saw a thing, everyone in the car has told the DPD a different story. The girl that's dead: $24,000 a year for her private school, all A student, older sister a sorority girl at Michigan State, and it's her little brother's birthday today. Here's the Detroit resident they were rolling around with, his dad, and their home. They were in his neighborhood. From his casual description of the events, not cooperating with with PD, and his "you missed me" swagger with reporters, I'm rather safely assuming the shooter was targeting this punk ass and/or he orchestrated this robbery gone bad. And I'm sorry, but I have to put some blame on the victim's parents for letting this maggot get within 1,000 yards on their daughter.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 9.14.47 PM.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  32.1 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 9.15.22 PM.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  43.4 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 9.17.51 PM.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  30.0 KB

I think it was reported that Demetris lives on Seneca. That isn't anywhere near Phillip and Charlevoix. That was what I thought was even more strange. Why would he be in the Jeff Chalmers with a group of GP kids when he is from the lower east side [[gratiot and van dyke area)?

I saw some comment chatter about potential residency fraud to attend Grosse Pointe South High, but I didn't see a journalist confirm his school. Even if he doesn't go to GPS, it just takes one cousin to have some shithole place in Ghetto Pointe Park, and he's linked with 1,700 middle class kids by proxy. There was another boy in the car, who apparently lived in the Pointes.

Awful isn't it? It's like that whole bussing bullshit come back to haunt. One day people will know their place.

Welcome back to Detroit, English! Tidings.

Wow, what a horrific story. I feared the worst at first, but there is definitely more to this story and already it reinforced the fact that if you hang out with bad people doing bad things, bad things can happen.

With some of the other comments, I grew up in Birmingham-Troy area, and 15-20 years ago when I was in high school there was a certain group of people who used to hang out in Detroit and hanging out with the drug dealing crowd. They were always fearful of people, owing people money, and at risk of bad things happening. These were the guys who were supplying people at our school with the harder stuff. I remember when sometimes the dealers/gangs would roll out to Birmingham to try to mess these guys up. If you play with fire, you may get burnt.

DetroitBoy Guest

One of the reporters said the shooting happened down the street from [a] boy's home. I assume they were talking about the Detroit kid. I also thought they said they scored the dope from around his house, just a short distance away. Is that Seneca in the videos? Maybe Seneca is incorrect.
    This was the background from WXYZ. Maybe it's been changed since then:

Their names have not yet been released. They have only been identified as a 16-year-old from Grosse Pointe Farms who was shot in the back, a 16-year-old from Seneca in Detroit who was hit in the right shoulder and a 15-year-old who was hit twice in the left forearm.

The fifth teen, who is from Grosse Pointe Park, was sitting in the back seat and was not hit.

Also, Phillip and Manistique and even Ashland streets are wide open spaces with only a couple of houses on a block. From the pic of the father, that looks like a more densely populated street which is more like Seneca is off of Gratiot down across Warren and Forest and into Indian Village.

there is still something not right about this story from the kids, where they had been and where they were going.
    Last edited by DetroitBoy; December-23-14 at 11:25 PM.

Even if they weren't buying drugs, I highly doubt that seemingly normal white girls from Grosse Pointe are up to anything good in an area like Philip and Charlevoix at night...

and with that thought why would any black man dare venture to the suburbs......

MAcc Guest

I poked around and all I have to say is "Now what is there [in the Pointes] is a generation of people who grew up in St Clair Shores or Eastpointe..." is a spot on portrayal of this particular GPS clique of friends. At first glance I'd assume these girls are from Warren or something similar.

Here's what I believe is a picture of another victim, name is Donald. Mood from his friends makes it seem like he'll be fine:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-12-24 at 12.31.30 AM.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  18.1 KB
    Last edited by MAcc; December-24-14 at 02:41 PM.

lets agree on a few things:

-GP has been destroyed, those with means will move, the decline will only escalate, the barrier on Kercheval will look like a joke compared to the enclaves that the priveleged that HAVE to live in the area will set up
    -the "should not have been there" opinion works for a young white girl in Detroit but somehow is not acknowledged as legitimate for a black man with a record in the suburbs..... you can't have it both ways

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    and with that thought why would any black man dare venture to the suburbs......
    I don't see what you're getting at...?

I'm heading North where it is safer, Pontiac, Flint, Saginaw!

I don't see what you're getting at...?
    every news story and protest today is about some "innocent" black guy targeted by police and killed..... yeah, it happens.... so don't be black and be in the wrong place... or just don't be white or be in the wrong place.... both are fucked up.. but you can't have it both ways.... the suburban police might be dangerous for the average black felon, just as the ghetto might be dangerous for the average white private school girl.....

Listening to some of you shrill panicked folks makes me laugh.... you don't even have the whole story... the crime took place in Detroit... and you're already telling folks to hightail it to 34 Mile Road.... Oh wait... no... that's Armada... murder... make that 54 Mile Rd...
    Last edited by Gistok; December-24-14 at 01:18 AM.

If parents took all of 10 minutes to view their kids' wide open social media accounts they'd pick up on little signs that these girls are dabbling with the wrong crowd.
    Totally agree. Social media all over the place from these kids and their friends. Seems like they're high school athletes, all. There used to be the assumption that would keep them busy and out of trouble but obviously not in this case.

It's weird how no single media source seems to have compiled information, but bits and pieces are everywhere.

Fox2 named one of the girls as Mia Betnzos from GP South, and on the softball team. Someone on another forum pointed to this tweet, apparently from a GP South basketball player-- Justice @BigJu17 "I gotta get out this hospital." And repeated over and over were variations on "Do not listen to anything the news says its not true."

Seems at least some of the kids have a fairly clear opinion on what is true, so presumably that will come out eventually. I don't envy DPD their task on this one, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    every news story and protest today is about some "innocent" black guy targeted by police and killed.....
    I wasn't aware that Eric Garner or Michael Brown were in a desolate part of town in the dead of the night committing a crime [[smoking weed), if that's what you're trying to foolishly equate this to.

I also wasn't aware that it was DPD officers who shot and killed this girl.

...Oh wait...

I wasn't aware that Eric Garner or Michael Brown were in a desolate part of town in the dead of the night committing a crime [[smoking weed), if that's what you're trying to foolishly equate this to.
    Actually, they were, not that it matters. But I think their demise had more to do with the whole fighting the police part, not the fact that they were commiting crimes.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast