Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Isn't it funny how news reports can expose society's biases?

Completely unrelated, but not... Remember when that 12 year old black kid in Cleveland was gun downed by that trigger happy cop? The initial media reports would have had you under the impression that this big bad 12 year old was non-compliant and had it coming. But then the video came out...
    I'm not sure how you're linking those two... are we to understand that kids buying drugs [[especially those that attend tony private schools like Liggett) deserve to be massacred because they weren't there just getting gas or smoking a little weed in a sparsely populated area? because that really seems to be what you're saying comparing it to the Cleveland shooting in the way you are.

Isn't it funny how news reports can expose society's biases?

Completely unrelated, but not... Remember when that 12 year old black kid in Cleveland was gun downed by that trigger happy cop? The initial media reports would have had you under the impression that this big bad 12 year old was non-compliant and had it coming. But then the video came out...
    Not to worry. Your biases were already obvious!

Its the funny thing. People see the biases of others, that they don't seem themselves as biased. They really do think they are right. I'm know others think that of me. But I am right. Well, at least as right as IHD.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I'm not sure how you're linking those two... are we to understand that kids buying drugs [[especially those that attend tony private schools like Liggett) deserve to be massacred because they weren't there just getting gas or smoking a little weed in a sparsely populated area? because that really seems to be what you're saying comparing it to the Cleveland shooting in the way you are.
    I don't know how you got that from my comment.

I don't get how buying drugs on the street gets you shot with an automatic weapon. Either you make the transaction or you don't. It's not like some multi-million dollar deal gone bad, so I find it hard to believe they were buying a bag pot. I also don't believe they parked at an intersection to get high; you do that in a park or a secluded parking lot. First report I read said they claimed it was road rage - that I could believe. Rage causes you to shoot someone 30 times, not trying to stiff a dealer twenty bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Not to worry. Your biases were already obvious!

Its the funny thing. People see the biases of others, that they don't seem themselves as biased. They really do think they are right. I'm know others think that of me. But I am right. Well, at least as right as IHD.
    I never claimed to not have biases.

But I'm pretty amused by how the prevailing assumption every time this happens is that the victims are casualties of random violence perpetrated by scary black thugs... Until the full story comes out.

And no, it's not their fault that they were shot. It's not their fault that what happened to them highlights the biases of society. But it's worth talking about now just like it is when innocent black kids are gunned down by cops.

But I'm pretty amused by how the prevailing assumption every time this happens is that the victims are casualties of random violence perpetrated by scary black thugs... Until the full story comes out.
    ... ok, but point of fact here is it wasn't some journalistic editorial assumption, but reported from the victims' statement. should nothing in a breaking news story ever be reported until its been totally vetted? And we don't actually know the races of the victims either.... but many have assumed they're all white kids.
    Last edited by bailey; December-23-14 at 11:51 AM.

... ok, but point of fact here is it wasn't some journalistic editorial assumption, but the victims' statement. And we don't actually know the races of the victims either.... but many have assumed they're all white kids.
    We do know the race of the one who died [[or at least her perceived race). And the media has discretion on what they report and the timing of what they report. If you could tell it was bullshit then so could they.

And no, it's not their fault that they were shot. It's not their fault that what happened to them highlights the biases of society. But it's worth talking about now just like it is when innocent black kids are gunned down by cops.
    Fair comments. I don't agree, but worth discussion.

Do you also see that cops as a group are not 'trigger happy', simply because of one incident? Or is this different? If so, how is it different. Does a Cleveland incident mean that all cops should be criticized by our leaders?

You may suggest that we should all know that all cops target blacks? And how is this different than thinking that all blacks are dangerous?

We do know the race of the one who died [[or at least her perceived race). And the media has discretion on what they report and the timing of what they report. If you could tell it was bullshit then so could they.
    These days, it could be a group of black GPP kids shot by white Detroiter thugs. [[As an aside, in the 80s I was working downtown, and it was almost universal that it was white kids who did petty vandalism to the storefronts where I worked.)

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Only in Detroit is murder justifiable if you're trying to buy drugs. You people should be ashamed of your comments.
    Seriously. This whole thread is pretty fucking sick.

Their story was bullshit, clearly, but buying some weed shouldn't equal death.

But, you're right, society has biases...
    [local resident]Dolunt said he hopes police get "a straight story" from the teens.

"The kids in Grosse Pointe -- they think it can't happen to them," he said. "People shouldn't blame the people in Detroit; your kids are buying drugs there."
    interesting sentiment there....

Do you also see that cops as a group are not 'trigger happy', simply because of one incident? Or is this different? If so, how is it different. Does a Cleveland incident mean that all cops should be criticized by our leaders?

You may suggest that we should all know that all cops target blacks? And how is this different than thinking that all blacks are dangerous?
    Of course I don't think that all cops are trigger happy, that is absurd. Just for the record, I have immediate relatives who are members of the Detroit Police Department. But the Cleveland cop was obviously a person who should not have been armed with a gun, much less a cop, as was the opinion of the police department he was fired from before being hired by the city of Cleveland. [[And a simple background check by the Cleveland media would have easily uncovered that but instead they reported on the kid's father, first?)

Assuming they were in Detroit to get drugs: Decriminalizing drugs would have prevented this.

Wait ...her what? her perceived race? because she went to liggett she's white?

But, you're right, society has biases...

interesting sentiment there....
    Uh, no, because I saw her picture.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/4...ointe/30363504

DetroitBoy Guest

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck".

So what about the black kids in the car with her?

So what about the black kids in the car with her?
    I haven't seen their picture. If it was in the video, I didn't watch it. I only saw the picture at the end of the article that I read. And I only said that we know at least one of them was white. You're free to go back and reread what I said before. You quoted me so you know I didn't change anything.

Difference being, when the black kids get gunned down there is a certain segment which will come out screaming about how the victims were law breaking thugs and that their behavior caused their own deaths. I haven't heard that yet.

I drive down Charlevoix and Vernor on a regular basis. I think I am done with those two routes.

Of course I don't think that all cops are trigger happy, that is absurd. Just for the record, I have immediate relatives who are members of the Detroit Police Department. But the Cleveland cop was obviously a person who should not have been armed with a gun, much less a cop, as was the opinion of the police department he was fired from before being hired by the city of Cleveland. [[And a simple background check by the Cleveland media would have easily uncovered that but instead they reported on the kid's father, first?)
    I haven't seen the video, so I can't judge. But if we take your statement as truth, how does this justify convicting this cop. The result was not then caused by the cop, but by the broken system.

And btw, if the system is broken, perhaps the previous PD's firing of this cop was wrong? Maybe there was no justification and that PD was 'broken' too? You cannot selectively decide that only those who agree with you are competent.

GP Charles why would you alter your driving habits?

Have you not been actively following this thread? http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...side/20798333/

This was not an innocent bystander who was killed.

These were individuals engaged in criminal activity meeting face to face with another individual who engaged in criminal activity.

""They're scared to tell their parents what they're doing" in Detroit, Assistant Police Chief Steve Dolunt said today." Dolunt said he hopes police get "a straight story" from the teens."The kids in Grosse Pointe -- they think it can't happen to them," he said. "People shouldn't blame the people in Detroit; your kids are buying drugs there."
    Last edited by belleislerunner; December-23-14 at 01:20 PM.

MAcc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    There are some sick fucking people on this forum.
    Detroit is full of deeply troubled people. Not just pushing or using dope or terminally unemployed perusing local message boards. There are many gainfully employed – even in positions of authority – that despise higher-born [[white) people. As much as I'd like to write off some of the more alarming posts in here as "trolling," Detroit politics, public schools, colleges and churches have been spewing Marxist and black nationalist rhetoric for 50 years, so I'm inclined to believe these threads tease out those feelings.
    Last edited by MAcc; December-23-14 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    GP Charles why would you alter your driving habits?

Have you not been actively following this thread? http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...side/20798333/

This was not an innocent bystander who was killed.

These were individuals engaged in criminal activity meeting face to face with another individual who engaged in criminal activity.

""They're scared to tell their parents what they're doing" in Detroit, Assistant Police Chief Steve Dolunt said today." Dolunt said he hopes police get "a straight story" from the teens."The kids in Grosse Pointe -- they think it can't happen to them," he said. "People shouldn't blame the people in Detroit; your kids are buying drugs there."
    Right. Don't blame Detroiters for murdering your kids because they wanted to buy some pot, they deserved it.

the shooter is not reflective of "Detroit culture"- it has nothing to do with "Marxism, black nationalist rhetoric". It's an idiot with a high-powered gun. Plenty of people here have to get over their entrenched bigotry.

MAcc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    the shooter is not reflective of "Detroit culture"- it has nothing to do with "Marxism, black nationalist rhetoric". It's an idiot with a high-powered gun. Plenty of people here have to get over their entrenched bigotry.
    This isn't an isolated event. Detroit is currently the most dangerous city in America. http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...says/18793923/

And the rhetoric in this thread blaming the suburban victim[[s) isn't isolated either. It echoes how Detroit leaders have gotten elected for the last 50 years.
    Last edited by MAcc; December-23-14 at 02:50 PM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast