Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default DTE to Develop Green Space on Grand River

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...roit/20786337/

And it won't be surface parking.

Good when a corporation plays the role of good neighbor and helps improve the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I didn't think of it but the 'lot across from GAR' sure sounds like the same lot.

Maybe the two threads can be combined.

Are they going to fence off the green space for the private and exclusive use of their employees?

Doubt it, if it's the parcel of land pictured in the article. The only reason they got away with that with the other parcels was because they were contiguous with the headquarters. As for this, I guess it's better than a dusty lot, but urban parks really only make sense when there's an actual neighborhood around them. The effect of these parks is basically that of a moat around the HQs; there's not enough population in that area of downtown to really support even decent usage of such space. And, all of this will really look out of place when new-construction development finally creeps into that area of downtown. The freeways really did this area in. I mean, you can stand out front the MGM and still feel like you're in the middle of nowhere.

Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Are they going to fence off the green space for the private and exclusive use of their employees?
    nope, they'll leave it open for 25 yr old unemployed carpenters to camp in because Detroit's bankruptcy made them homeless.

Nope.

Green space is better than just plain dirt.

Gee, and there isn't seemingly any demand for surface parking there either.

i hope that any future DTE expansion involved placing buildings that front the park to help create a street wall. it is very odd that this "urban" park will be surrounded by parking lots outside of the GAR building. this side of downtown is still years away from new development, but hopefully when it gets there this park will be a catalyst.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Nope.

Green space is better than just plain dirt.

Gee, and there isn't seemingly any demand for surface parking there either.
    IMHO, creating green space for the sake of Green Space [[TM) is a waste of money. Works great in theory, and the renderings always look amazing [[with lots of people walking their dogs and carrying balloons - oh boy!).

In practice, it'll just become another neglected, overgrown lot.

IMHO, creating green space for the sake of Green Space [[TM) is a waste of money. Works great in theory, and the renderings always look amazing [[with lots of people walking their dogs and carrying balloons - oh boy!).

In practice, it'll just become another neglected, overgrown lot.
    True, but as Southern posted, a streetwall building would be great, but who would want to put up a building there? No demand for it at this time.

In time, this could become very valuable land but it might take a good while.

True, but as Southern posted, a streetwall building would be great, but who would want to put up a building there? No demand for it at this time.

In time, this could become very valuable land but it might take a good while.
    Agreed.

I'm just very wary of DTE Energy land acquisitions of any kind. After appropriating numerous downtown blocks to create their very own privately-run minimum-security prison, and seceding from the rest of downtown, I'm fearful that anything else they do will have more of the same "bunkers and barb wire" ethos.

DTE will keep that block warm and green until someone buys it from them to build something there.

That seems a popular thing to do downtown Detroit [[buy land and sit on it until development time is right).

Agreed.

I'm just very wary of DTE Energy land acquisitions of any kind. After appropriating numerous downtown blocks to create their very own privately-run minimum-security prison, and seceding from the rest of downtown, I'm fearful that anything else they do will have more of the same "bunkers and barb wire" ethos.
    The downtown offices really did operate like a fort.

Contacting HR after separating for health insurance info...you'd think I was trying to steal nuclear weapons the run around they put me on.

But from what I gathered when I was there, DTE really is trying to change their public perception and be more open/engaging with the public.

And it was kind of ridiculous that they had a HUGE landscaped hills/greenway/walkspace hidden behind a fence of trees.

And in other, completely unrelated news, Mayor Duggan announced the western half of downtown is officially renamed "Southfield Towne Center- South".

We have an update here and not a bad looking rendering for a park. The views from the park should be great looking Downtown. As for looking toward Ilitchville parking world, well......

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...rban/71055252/

Renderings included.

Name:  park1.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  49.9 KB

Name:  park2.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  65.2 KB

Name:  park3.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  57.5 KB

What's neat is that it is at a strategic location [[i.e., Grand River) and the beauty it will bring to Grand River...

When I look at strategic streets I think of Woodward, Grand River, Michigan Ave., Gratiot, etc. and less about then parking lots a block or two off of these streets.

What's neat is that it is at a strategic location [[i.e., Grand River) and the beauty it will bring to Grand River...

When I look at strategic streets I think of Woodward, Grand River, Michigan Ave., Gratiot, etc. and less about then parking lots a block or two off of these streets.
    Of course you don't think about the acres of dirt surface lots owned by your savior Ilitch. Olympia could be in the human trafficking business, but as long as they're still building an arena you'd be the first to buy a wife to show your support.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    Of course you don't think about the acres of dirt surface lots owned by your savior Ilitch. Olympia could be in the human trafficking business, but as long as they're still building an arena you'd be the first to buy a wife to show your support.
    Thanks for the 'opening':

If Ilitch Holdings has an opportunity to dump a lot of that underutilized land behind the Fox I'm sure they would.

Just put up a parking garage next to Comerica, another on Henry, and another on W. Montcalm [[and Clifford) and developers can put up a dozen big buildings behind the Fox [[although I don't expect them, developers, to do it during my life time)

It looks nice but all renderings do. Id love to see a site plan. It looks like they will also be creating a median between the park and the GAR building, which I would love to see. Adding more green will definitely soften that area up and make it more appealing for pedestrians and developers alike.

Definitely a nice little improvement to that area of town. As it was stated, you can stand out there and feel like you're in the middle of nowhere.

DTE has been slowly building outside of their compound. They finally rehabbed the old Salvation Army HQ on Bagley and helped The Greening of Detroit better utilize a little plot of real estate on Plum at Third. They have used landscaping to soften the hard edges of their fortress.

however, a pocket park is only a park if there are buildings surrounding it and if there is a steady flow of foot traffic. The landlocked DTE workers rarely leave their secure confines as they only get 30 minutes for lunch.

i hope I am wrong about this place becoming a slightly greener version of Kennedy Square.

what's the issue with kennedy square?