Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

To celebrate or condone this is crazy to me. The New York LEO murders [[officers Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu) undermines the cause of dealing with specific cases where there are rogues and questionable police response!

Idzikowski at least claims to have now moved beyond his initial emotions at this point:

"In no way do I believe or condone violence against police officers ... I was trying to express a thought questioning at what lengths could the growing negative sentiment between some communities and the police continue before seeing more violence.

"I regret and apologize for the insensitive manner in which my comments appeared on Facebook. It was a momentary lapse in judgment and in poor taste."

If we continue down the tit-for-tat road we're gonna look up and have a nationalized policing force that cannot be be reformed or resisted!
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-23-14 at 08:37 AM.

The idiots apology is too late and only because his business may be in jeopardy due to people boycotting it. I'll never eat, drink, or patronize his place and most cops and firefighters in my group of friends have voiced the same feelings.

Here's the exact quote:

"How many times did they think they were going to kick the hornets [[sic) nest before they got stung? These guys 'can't breathe' now either."

Well he told no lies IMO. It was only a matter of time before things got to this point [[which is irrational folks acting out of emotion and taking matters into their own hands to "defeat the enemy"), as people who feel oppressed will only take what they feel to be injustice peacefully for so long.

I didn't see anywhere in the quote that he incited violence against police or applauded the death of the officers.

That said, his comment was in poor taste and he's an idiot for posting it on facebook, especially when he's risking the success of his business. People just can't handle straight talk in our overly PC world.

And I'm not even surprised about the Warrentucky business. I hate that I must work in that cesspool. Using their logic, everyone should also boycott New York City because of the shirts the police were wearing which said "they can breathe."

We're so hungry for someone to condemn. Isn't the idea tolerance?

The leap to murder here isn't really much of a leap. If cops really are gunning down black youths, resistance, civil disobedience and retaliation are appropriate.

The problem is that there is no systemic problem with cops shooting blacks. There are many rogue cops. And there are many rogue protesters too. We shouldn't judge the value of the protesters statements based on Sharpton's comments any more than we should judge cops on the basis of a statistically insignificant number of terrible outcomes.

Before anyone leaps to condemn me for my insensitivity, I do believe that police do need to continue to do better with community relations. When I hear the success of the Watts Bears in police-community relations [[see NPR blog), we can see what is possible. However judging a group by the actions of individuals makes the protesters no better than a racist cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    The leap to murder here isn't really much of a leap. If cops really are gunning down black youths, resistance, civil disobedience and retaliation are appropriate.

The problem is that there is no systemic problem with cops shooting blacks..
    I don't agree. There is clearly a systemic problem. You can have a systemic problem without thinking that police in general are overly inclined to shoot black people. The systemic problem is that there isn't adequate accountability when they do. Prosecutors aren't inclined to prosecute, and juries are inclined to give police the benefit of the doubt. And the police themselves have a strong tendency to rally around officers accused of bad behavior, even when it is pretty clear the behavior was not appropriate.

There is also likely a problem with police being disproportionately inclined to see young black men as threats, but we don't even need to go there to see a systemic issue.

I think that police department and the community they SERVE has some animosity they need to get over.

I'm sorry those two officers lost their lives. But that a group can dehumanize and brutalize and belittle the deaths of another group and expect nothing, even from the most unbalanced among us, is lunacy.

The little vulgarity above, combined with asking the NY Mayor not to attend their funerals, along with turning their back on the mayor during his visit to the hospital...

I'm as pro union as anyone, but the NYPD is out of control. Their union needs their back broken in a thousand pieces.

As for the truck driver, yeah it's sort of the truth, but as a business owner you can't really give your true opinion on everything. There was a similar situation when those kids got killed in Connecticut.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I don't agree. There is clearly a systemic problem. You can have a systemic problem without thinking that police in general are overly inclined to shoot black people. The systemic problem is that there isn't adequate accountability when they do. Prosecutors aren't inclined to prosecute, and juries are inclined to give police the benefit of the doubt. And the police themselves have a strong tendency to rally around officers accused of bad behavior, even when it is pretty clear the behavior was not appropriate.

There is also likely a problem with police being disproportionately inclined to see young black men as threats, but we don't even need to go there to see a systemic issue.
    You are right. There is a systemic problem. As we dig deeper though we need to be careful not to assume that there particular cops were inappropriately 'excused' for these deaths.

I find this to be the core problem. We see no conviction in these cases, and then assume that this means that the system is broken. We see a pre-selected Grand Jury in Ferguson not indict, and we see racism in the 9 whites on the jury -- yet we refuse to believe the black witnesses that he was coming back at the cop.

If we wish to find justice, if we wish to fix these 'systemic' problems of legal blindness, then we cannot be blind to the possibility that these cops might have been justified in their actions -- in spite of seeing some evidence that supports our believe that they were guilty as hell.

Are we getting anywhere here? I see 'systemic problems' in policing -- yet I see cops and a legal system that are working hard to serve us and provide justice? How does it help to vilify cops and the legal system based on a single NYC incident, when there were 228,000 other misdemeanor arrests in 2013 in NYC with better outcomes. Not a very effective conspiracy to kill black lives. [[NYPost)

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    the police themselves have a strong tendency to rally around officers accused of bad behavior, even when it is pretty clear the behavior was not appropriate.
    This is very true. Law enforcement, sometimes does not choose to enforce laws against itself. Sometimes it's when a cop is speeding, or drunk, and sometimes it's when something even more serious happens.

Letting a cop off the hook for speeding, etc... is known as "Professional Courtesy". I think it's hogwash and that cops need to treat each other the same. I understand they feel a brotherhood between each other, they literally trust each other with their lives, but you can have brotherhood while still being ethical.

More on topic, anyone who isn't sympathetic toward two innocent cops has a mental issue. I have no issue with DPD telling folks to boycott his business. I'd hate to work for this guy if he has that little empathy for human life.

I'm anti-Michael Brown, but even I can recognize that the majority of people who are pro-Michael Brown are saddened to see two innocent cops dead.

Also, the man who killed them more killed them out of mental illness, not to side with the protesters. It takes mentally ill people to do things like this, wanting their own death as an outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    This is very true. Law enforcement, sometimes does not choose to enforce laws against itself. Sometimes it's when a cop is speeding, or drunk, and sometimes it's when something even more serious happens.

Letting a cop off the hook for speeding, etc... is known as "Professional Courtesy". I think it's hogwash and that cops need to treat each other the same. I understand they feel a brotherhood between each other, they literally trust each other with their lives, but you can have brotherhood while still being ethical.
    Agreed 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    ...snip...I'm anti-Michael Brown, but even I can recognize that the majority of people who are pro-Michael Brown are saddened to see two innocent cops dead.

Also, the man who killed them more killed them out of mental illness, not to side with the protesters. It takes mentally ill people to do things like this, wanting their own death as an outcome.
    Clearly their mental state is relevant, but the more interesting question to me is why downplay the connection with the 'cops kill black lives'. It was clearly his motivation, even if his actions were driven by mental illness. The point made here by the pro-cop side is that the wild accusations of police disrespect for black lives and the danger to black youths by cops have impact. The murder of the NYC cops is an indirect result of incendiary statements by Sharpton, Di Blasio, and Holder.

You can think that there's a systemic problem, but also see that irresponsible accusations against cops in general is irresponsible.

This is the problem with the radical right and left. They have a good thing going with the protests and trying to get change and then you got some moron fuck it up by murdering 2 innocent cops. Shame on that fat slob BBQ idiot for posting that filth. I'm against police brutality but I also support the police because they have to deal with losers every day.

Honestly, what is wrong with people in this region? Did all the decent people flee in the past ten years? Why does it seem like all there is left here are angry fat slobs like this? Every time I drive to work I'm afraid for my life because some maniac like this is damn near running me off the road.

You know, there are ways he could have expressed his opinion civilly.

First off the police are far from innocent. People speak out against police violence and the police make an issue of it. Phaps if they had little more respect for the lives of residents the residents would have a little more respect for the lives of police.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    First off the police are far from innocent. People speak out against police violence and the police make an issue of it. Phaps if they had little more respect for the lives of residents the residents would have a little more respect for the lives of police.
    True, Rex.

The question though is whether the problem with brutality is widespread, or under control. I suspect that the radicals on the left see brutality everywhere, and on the right they see it as a problem that is already being addressed, with brutality complaints falling year after year.

Switch police with the word blacks in your paragraph and I'm sure you agree with that. Police violence sucks but stop acting like every cop is out there killing people. Just like every black person is a thug that kills people.

I dont follow. What are you suggesting and why are you putting words in my mouth?

I dont follow. What are you suggesting and why are you putting words in my mouth?
    You already know what the Cop supporter is saying...

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    The idiots apology is too late and only because his business may be in jeopardy due to people boycotting it. I'll never eat, drink, or patronize his place and most cops and firefighters in my group of friends have voiced the same feelings.
    Hopefully his brake lights work and his DOT is up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    I'm jealous that you're not calling me 'the Cop supporter'. I most certainly am.

I do not think they are perfect. I've seen the dark side. But overall, I think we are extremely lucky in this country to have generally fine police.

In fact, what is truly missing right now is a deep appreciation for cops. Its possible to believe that they can be better, and at the same time appreciate how good they are.

President Obama would be well-served to not pander to the left and say just how much he supports and believes in the police, and that he expects them to be impartial and to improve their community relationships too.

Many of our leaders, especially on the left, seem truly unable to say anything good about cops. Telling truth to their supporters is a sign of great leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    You either are a "cop supporter" or "anti police brutality supporter". I guess I can't be both. I bet you guys call the ghostbusters when shit goes down instead of 911.

Agreed. The absolutism of all of this is getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Switch police with the word blacks in your paragraph and I'm sure you agree with that. Police violence sucks but stop acting like every cop is out there killing people. Just like every black person is a thug that kills people.

Anyone who gives this d-bag their business should be ashamed. There are plenty of fine BBQ outlets in the area, no need to give your money to the jerk who supports police assassinations.

Just shows how one must be careful on social media. I don't think any one of us hasn't posted something he/she had second thoughts about later. DY seems to have a higher quality of thought by its posters than Facebook or Twitter, IMHO, although occasionally a thread goes askew.

The more I live the more I despise people. We all truly occupy a 'us or them' mentality. Oh yea, we all swear [[scout's honor) that we believe in peace and liberty for all human beings, but reality is we believe in that for ourselves and those we deem worthy. Police can't be criticized, because to criticize them is equivalent to asking for their murder. I mean, who are mere mortals to say their profession can be improved? Citizens can't be criticized either, because that would be racist. We as human are all too feeble to accept our faults. We all must be put on a pedestal or we'll just take our ball and go home. I'm so disgusted with the human race, every last one of you vermin.

The saddest part of all of this is that this is nothing new. 10 billion years from now they'll be another Crumbled_pavement wondering the exact same thing I'm wondering now. That is, unless we just wipe ourselves off the face of the earth first. Btw, a bit of trivia, NO ORGANISM ON THIS PLANET HAS THE DESIRE NOR THE ABILITY TO WIPE ITSELF AND ALL OTHER LIFE OFF THE PLANET BUT HUMANS. That just shows you just how sick and demented we all are.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast