Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Pistons Pay Josh Smith 28 Million to "Please Just Go Away."

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...mith/20761745/

Welcome to NBA ownership Mr. Gores. Of course he can afford it, but it must still drive him nuts that this move had to be made. Supposedly, aside from throwing up bricks, Smith was a decent talent in Atlanta. I know he was forced to play out of position here but the constant dribbling into traffic before throwing the ball away, the horrible free throw shooting, the constantly getting dunked on, etc. was hard to take. [[and that was only in the first half. I can never stick around to watch the 2nd half of a Pistons game). Hopefully Jennings is next and then they can get on with a total rebuild.

But now who's going to [[badly) miss all those outside shots going forward?

You have to place the blame solely on Dumars lap. Dumars created this mess, before SVG got here. Even though he helped get us a title in 04, it all started going downhill for him after trading Billups for Iverson, I get why he did it [[ Iverson's deal was expiring) but he traded away the head of the snake. Iverson didn't work out so he then signed Charlie V and BG to those ridiculous deals and signing Smith and trading Brandon Knight for Jennings were the death nails. SVG is going to construct this team with his vision, not with leftovers from Dumars regime.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-23-14 at 12:55 AM.

Smith did do some good things - he blocked shots, he has good vision and can pass to the open man, he has good post moves. But his poor basketball IQ, abysmal free throw shooting, and inability to consistently make his jump shots almost negate the good that he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    You have to place the blame solely on Dumars lap. Dumars created this mess, before SVG got here..
    Sorry but it takes two to tango and Gores is the one with the check book.

Gores is a joke of an owner, on one hand he is too cheap to amnesty Ben Gordon and has Joe trade a first round pick[[this draft) with Gordon to entice the Bobcats to take the trade and save Gores millions. Gores could have amnestied him for an under 15 million buyout and we would have kept our pick. He never amnestied Charlie V and made us suffer through him too. But on the other hand he throws money at Josh Smith? And then essentially buys him out yesterday? Why didn't he do this with Ben Gordon?

He's a cheap piece of $hit, bottom line. As for SVG, we will see if he has what it takes to run the show. I can't say I'm all that encouraged so far. This team has regressed big time under SVG and nose-dived to an all-time low.... Joe needed to go, but he wasn't the biggest problem then or now... Gores is a Meddler, he stills pays Dumars a yearly salary BTW...... Wonder why?
    Last edited by Dbest; December-23-14 at 07:55 AM.

There needs to be a complete team revamp. Pistons need their own Lebron James figure. Also they need a Kobe Bryant figure. The team needs to win lots of games. They haven't made the playoffs in years. This is severely disappointing. Ticket prices need to be cut accordingly.

Yes, getting the best player in the league would clearly help the team and I am certain if the Pistons were downtown our friend Dan would gladly hand him over. Why anyone would want to see this team right now I have no idea but ticket prices are hardly an issue. You can get a lower bowl ticket for under 20 bucks and an upper bowl for 3 bucks on Stubhub. Just how cheap do you want them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Sorry but it takes two to tango and Gores is the one with the check book.

Gores is a joke of an owner, on one hand he is too cheap to amnesty Ben Gordon and has Joe trade a first round pick[[this draft) with Gordon to entice the Bobcats to take the trade and save Gores millions. Gores could have amnestied him for an under 15 million buyout and we would have kept our pick. He never amnestied Charlie V and made us suffer through him too. But on the other hand he throws money at Josh Smith? And then essentially buys him out yesterday? Why didn't he do this with Ben Gordon?

He's a cheap piece of $hit, bottom line. As for SVG, we will see if he has what it takes to run the show. I can't say I'm all that encouraged so far. This team has regressed big time under SVG and nose-dived to an all-time low.... Joe needed to go, but he wasn't the biggest problem then or now... Gores is a Meddler, he stills pays Dumars a yearly salary BTW...... Wonder why?
    I don't believe Gores owned the team when Dumars made the BG, Charlie V signings, the team was still owned by Karen Davidson, Bill's widow, but I could be wrong. So he's exempt from that, he did write the check for Smith though. In any event, SVG has a lot of work to do.....
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-24-14 at 12:23 AM.

Now they need to dump Jennings....

They need to bring back Darko! He's doing great now, kickboxing or some shit...

Good riddance to that guy! He can't even go to the paint less he dunked in the face by Lebron James.

Yeah, I guess there's not much point in having a human victory cigar if you can't get any wins

Only because they were playing Lebron and the Cavs, I flipped over to the Pistons a couple of times during the Lions game. End of 1st qtr. - Pistons down about 15. Flip back late in 3rd - Pistons up 20! What! Team is now 2-0 without Smith. The Pistons are not suddenly a good team but this is definitely addition by subtraction. It's not all Smith's fault either. Forcing him to play out of position and having him handle the ball on the perimeter forced the rest of team to play tentative. They can now relax and play their own games.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Only because they were playing Lebron and the Cavs, I flipped over to the Pistons a couple of times during the Lions game. End of 1st qtr. - Pistons down about 15. Flip back late in 3rd - Pistons up 20! What! Team is now 2-0 without Smith. The Pistons are not suddenly a good team but this is definitely addition by subtraction. It's not all Smith's fault either. Forcing him to play out of position and having him handle the ball on the perimeter forced the rest of team to play tentative. They can now relax and play their own games.
    Yeah..I agree. Smith was a horrible signing by Dumars to play SF, when he's a 4 man. Having him handle the ball isn't a big issue, since that's what helps make him a versatile player for his size. He does a lot of things well, he just didn't fit here with Monroe and Drummond. And since he was picked up Houston, he helped them win in his first game with 21 pts and 8 boards. Might end up being a win-win for both teams. Cleveland has problems as well, so I wonder if LeBron is having second thoughts coming back home.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-28-14 at 08:12 PM.