Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Tent City?

^^^ Now you two stop it, or I'ma have to put you in 'time out' ...... !

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Now you two stop it, or I'ma have to put you in 'time out' ...... !
    [[Wesson.....)

Default Duggan has the right idea...

Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan said Thursday that the city may have to move about a dozen homeless people from a tent city in a park near downtown to shelters where they can stay warm.
    The residents of the makeshift community on the edge of the Greening of Detroit park have resisted pleas from social service agencies to move indoors, despite temperatures in recent days that plunged below zero.
    "It's two degrees out there right now," Duggan told reporters while reviewing the display setups for the annual North American International Auto Show at Cobo Center. "One way or another, we're going to move folks into the shelters.

"We've had folks from the homeless shelters out there every day for the last four or five days," he added. "There are spots in shelters for every one of these individuals and at some point, we're going to have to enforce the law. You can't stay in the parks after 10 at night. You can't have open fires. You can't pitch tents."
    Mayoral spokesman John Roach said that "at the moment," it's not clear how the tent city residents would be removed.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/d...lters/30595610

^^^^ Hmm, this speaks in part to why there was police presence there last night as I drove by. There was an open flame going. This has to be the potential to get ugly and can you imagine protestors arriving from their warm homes with signs saying they should be LEFT alone to the elements as a right? I just hope they can retain their belongings. That is a huge issue regarding many of these shelters.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-08-15 at 05:14 PM.

"Man is flawed" Best statement on this thread, by G-DDT.

We all need each other at one time or another but sometimes more often than not.

Detroit 'tent city' homeless relocated to warming centers

See below link for article, photos and video:
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/27...arming-centers

From article:

Stephon Charles Jones is the self-proclaimed mayor of "tinsel town" or "tent city" as it is also known.

It is a cluster of about a dozen homeless people who have been camping out in subzero temperatures in Detroit.

"I don't want to stay in homeless shelters," Jones said. "I caught lice."

But now they are moving on.

"My thing was get us off the street but don't out us anywhere," he said."We are going to the Stay Inn for a week, then another facility for a month. Then they will get us our own building.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-10-15 at 07:29 AM.

Id like to see Duggan stay a night at the shelter and go through what everyone else goes through. I stayed at the NSO on Third X MLK once some years ago. I stood in line outside for an hour, the poor man in front of me had shat himself, we were all in line to take a mandatory shower and they gave us each an extra large paper towel to dry off with. It was one big room with Bob Barkers on the floor to sleep on. We were all exhausted by the time we got to sleep then woke up at about 6am, given a bag lunch and kicked out. Miserable experience. Id also like to know` where the NSO is going to be moved to as they are never going to let that place stay where it is with the new hockey arena being built so close. The Corridor is a hot item right now and they will not want all the homeless hanging around.
    For those of you dont know, Bob Barkers are jail mattresses of heavy duty nylon about 2 1/2" thick. They did give us a blanket.

which among the city owned abandoned buildings would be good for converting to a homeless shelter? What role is DPS playing in this?

DHS perhaps, not DPS but neither acronym are stated or said this news item. Unless I missed something. I drove by there about 4:30 PM this evening and everything is gone.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-10-15 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    DHS perhaps, not DPS but neither acronym are stated or said this news item. Unless I missed something. I drove by there about 4:30 PM this evening and everything is gone.

Gimme, gimme, gimme.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqVdRS3FCf8

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Id like to see Duggan stay a night at the shelter and go through what everyone else goes through. I stayed at the NSO on Third X MLK once some years ago. I stood in line outside for an hour, the poor man in front of me had shat himself, we were all in line to take a mandatory shower and they gave us each an extra large paper towel to dry off with. It was one big room with Bob Barkers on the floor to sleep on. We were all exhausted by the time we got to sleep then woke up at about 6am, given a bag lunch and kicked out. Miserable experience. Id also like to know` where the NSO is going to be moved to as they are never going to let that place stay where it is with the new hockey arena being built so close. The Corridor is a hot item right now and they will not want all the homeless hanging around.
    For those of you dont know, Bob Barkers are jail mattresses of heavy duty nylon about 2 1/2" thick. They did give us a blanket.
    The Bob Barkers are still on property [[some of them) but they are no longer used. Homeless sit in plastic chairs all night.
    Showers are only mandatory when an individuals odor starts to peel the paint off of the walls. They stopped kicking people out around Dec. 1, the homeless can stay all day and night now. When they do kick people out, breakfast was around 4:30 am and kick-out time was 6:00 am. There are various parasites inside NSO; most of them are brought in [[attached to - feeding on) the homeless as they enter the shelter.
    I noticed Duggan visited the Mission for his homeless "review". Just north of MLK, its just a stones throw from NSO - which is just south of MLK, both are on Third. The Mission is a damn sight better than the NSO. Look at the bathroom at the Mission, and then look at the bathrooms at NSO.

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    The Bob Barkers are still on property [[some of them) but they are no longer used. Homeless sit in plastic chairs all night.
    Showers are only mandatory when an individuals odor starts to peel the paint off of the walls. They stopped kicking people out around Dec. 1, the homeless can stay all day and night now. When they do kick people out, breakfast was around 4:30 am and kick-out time was 6:00 am. There are various parasites inside NSO; most of them are brought in [[attached to - feeding on) the homeless as they enter the shelter.
    I noticed Duggan visited the Mission for his homeless "review". Just north of MLK, its just a stones throw from NSO - which is just south of MLK, both are on Third. The Mission is a damn sight better than the NSO. Look at the bathroom at the Mission, and then look at the bathrooms at NSO.
    Never knew they were called "Bob Barkers", but, yeah, I slept on many of them [[luckily, sometimes, not on floors but in bunks with them on top). Those blankets are usually made from scratchy, recycled fibers. I will have to schedule a visit to the N.S.O.-see what facilities they have. Are there prison-style toilet stalls or showers [[the kind that strip all human dignity by being out in the open)? What is the meal like?
    Once you come from something like that, you are in no hurry to look back. It's been a while since I dusted off my Q.A.F.A. skills. I'll do my best to muster some courage and stock up on permethrin.
    The chances are slim anyone will ever watch "Sullivan's Travels" [["Oh Brother..."), much less actually take me up on the "homeless challenge". Yet, nothing can stop anyone from donating time and effort to a charity. Even visiting a prison to hear some folk's stories would bring clarity to the compounding issue that bring people into these situations [[the racism, the economic burdens, the lack of education, poor nutrition, domestic abuse, constant exploitation, and being lured into set-ups).
    Folks forget in America's affectatious air of affluence, there exists a lot of families that are just a mere disaster or paycheck away from heavy, unshakeable poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Never knew they were called "Bob Barkers", but, yeah, I slept on many of them [[luckily, sometimes, not on floors but in bunks with them on top). Those blankets are usually made from scratchy, recycled fibers. I will have to schedule a visit to the N.S.O.-see what facilities they have. Are there prison-style toilet stalls or showers [[the kind that strip all human dignity by being out in the open)? What is the meal like?
    Once you come from something like that, you are in no hurry to look back. It's been a while since I dusted off my Q.A.F.A. skills. I'll do my best to muster some courage and stock up on permethrin.
    The chances are slim anyone will ever watch "Sullivan's Travels" [["Oh Brother..."), much less actually take me up on the "homeless challenge". Yet, nothing can stop anyone from donating time and effort to a charity. Even visiting a prison to hear some folk's stories would bring clarity to the compounding issue that bring people into these situations [[the racism, the economic burdens, the lack of education, poor nutrition, domestic abuse, constant exploitation, and being lured into set-ups).
    Folks forget in America's affectatious air of affluence, there exists a lot of families that are just a mere disaster or paycheck away from heavy, unshakeable poverty.
    There are two stalls with toilets in the men’s room, one urinal, and two sinks. Can you see 50 or 60 men trying to use these facilities – especially in the morning? The toilets are steel- somewhat reminiscent of jail and prison facilities. There is one shower in the men’s room – which also houses one of the two toilets - one shower stall for all those men. So if someone is taking a shower there is only one toilet. The bathroom floor is constantly wet, to soaking wet, as the toilets are either backing up, or the shower is running over the stall, and all over the floor.
    NSO has no meals per say, the “kitchen” [[and I use that term loosely) consists of a small microwave oven and a fridge, the fridge is only intended to hold insulin. Breakfast is the only meal provided [[and again – another term loosely applied) is kept in the back and consists of a peanut butter sandwich, or one boiled egg and a juice. Those are not prepared at NSO, not packaged at NSO. My guess would be the Salvation Army, who incidentally brings sandwiches on a regular basis, along with various other food items to NSO.
    Food is constantly being dropped off at NSO, several churches will actually bring food and set up a buffet within NSO and serve it, or mostly people [[individuals and churches) just stop in front of the NSO and serve either sack lunches or hot meals out of their vehicles. It’s not unusual to see people setting up hot buffets on the sidewalk, or the empty lot situated directly next door to the NSO – especially on Saturday’s. Most individuals come on a regular basis and the food they prepare is delicious. One individual brings jambalaya - made with steak, he comes once a month and it’s a real treat. A Korean church drops off fried rice every Saturday afternoon, another treat. The biggest event is first thing Saturday morning around 7:30 am, a large church group sets up several long tables and hook the homeless up big time. Several different kinds of sandwiches, donuts, cookies, granola bars, just to mention a few things – the grocery bags [[that they also provide) are filled to capacity. They walk around and provide coffee and hot chocolate as well to the people waiting in line. I want to say they come all the way from Livingston county, I’m not certain but I did ask them once where they came from and I’m pretty sure Livingston county was the response. While this is occurring in the lot set to the NSO, a church from Detroit sets up another hot buffet right in front of the NSO, and serves a delicious meal as well. This goes on all day on Saturday’s, donation after donation, and it will provide food for these individuals for several days. Homeless, as well as low income individuals living in the area, take advantage of these offerings. Most Saturday mornings there are two police cars standing by for traffic control.
    Very generous and much appreciated food and toiletries are provided by the people of Michigan.

Thank you. SDCC. I need to log and print up more of this material, like I did in Boston/Cambridge. Folks are going to need a "street sheet". If it's one thing I've always said: the best two things to start off with in that situation are a good bag[[s) and information.
    Glad I hear more involvement from folks [[yes, helped out with a Korean Congregationalist Church in Cambridge on Magazine St.-the elders were selfish old-schoolers who had a very ancient Ayn Rand-like outlook, but it's by the insistence of the younger, more idealistic Koreans, that Saturday evening became a hearty meal folks really looked forward to-they even had a rather good wheelin' & dealin' New York ex-homeless-turned-Johnston & Wales Navy chef who'd top himself every time. Found it unbearable to work with him, eventually, but a great chef, nonetheless.) here in Michigan. I really hope we can disprove the impression a lot of outsiders [[troubled or not) have of Michigan, when they look around in dismay at some of the cold-heartedness and call this the "not-my-problem State".

Here's one way to turn the tables on corporate parasites: Parasitize them right back!

[[But keep in mind which suffers the worse damage from parasitization and which parasite holds the stronger legal protection.)

Total duration 21 minutes: Death of the American Hobo [[Documentary)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Spike [[within the film)
    When you're on the rails, if you don't get caught, there's no one to tell you what to do, when to go to bed, when to get up, what to eat. You're on your own for 100%.... Then when you get into a community, of course you have to fit into society so you have to abide by the laws at that time but if you're by yourself, you don't have to pay attention to any law.
    Last edited by Jimaz; January-13-15 at 11:21 PM.

I have been watching this thread with interest. I would suggest people keep in mind that the purpose of a "shelter" is to provide temporary relief to those who fall on hard times. It is NOT meant to provide hotel like amenities for months on end. Getting "kicked-out" at 6am is simply a measure to encourage job hunting and not sleeping in until noon. Again, the purpose of these shelters, and how the shelters would benefit, is to provide a roof and meal while you get your things back in order.

It is shame that the members of the Tent City do actually have housing and are using the tents to attract attention and to con good-heated people out of money, food and compassion. Are the members with housing offering their homes to the others to keep them out of the cold?

Quote Originally Posted by deeman View Post
    It is shame that the members of the Tent City do actually have housing and are using the tents to attract attention and to con good-heated people out of money, food and compassion. Are the members with housing offering their homes to the others to keep them out of the cold?
    Most of the tent city people are staying at the Stay Inn on Jefferson - 7 or 8 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by deeman View Post
    I have been watching this thread with interest. I would suggest people keep in mind that the purpose of a "shelter" is to provide temporary relief to those who fall on hard times. It is NOT meant to provide hotel like amenities for months on end. Getting "kicked-out" at 6am is simply a measure to encourage job hunting and not sleeping in until noon. Again, the purpose of these shelters, and how the shelters would benefit, is to provide a roof and meal while you get your things back in order.

Yes. This is true about being temporary shelter. Yet, it also about storage of goods. It also is about getting hygienically maintained. It also being in a safe environment to compose, repose, and reconstitute oneself if they've been on the streets [[or road) for some time [[this especially happens if there is only one shelter in the area and there happens to be a waiting list or lottery draw to get in).
    Seems there are a lot of folks who think themselves "experts" about they way these situations work, but I notice most of them do not even live within Wayne County. Again, these are all matters you find out hitting the ground running [[or better still trying to swim to stay from sinking). Hostile weather conditions are an inevitability, personal matters, health matters, legal matters-these will cut into employment search [[and time on a computer in the library is limited). Fact is, most of the homeless are physically incapable of work, are physically qualified for disability, and can only wait until their housing situation comes up for them. They are "kicked out" into the open and elements. God forbid, you even spike the ire of someone who has a grudge against you throughout the course of your honest and abiding dealings of keeping to oneself [[there are jailbirds who "never left jail"-as compared to the ones who are truly rehabilitated and on the beam-and I'm not talking Jim, either-they try to get you into schemes). They may think you would make an attractive element they can pimp off to someone. They notice you have food and want you to get into a food stamp scheme, even though you "eat every dollar" of your foodstamps-due to food intolerance and blood sugar issues-and you don't get caught up in that. Some blow their stack because you won't sit in a church parking lot with them and watch them smoke crack [[old Dorm Residence mate from Louisville-tried that on me-he later attacked me at a day-shelter. The staff thought it was a fight between two crackheads, and turned it on me.), or maybe because you just won't put salad dressing on your salad. I don't know. The fact is, you are vulnerable out there, the cops are not going to help you, and now you have no choice but to go out of your way to avoid those folks. Also, holidays are not a holiday for the homeless. Everything is closed; it is windy and stark, and you have nowhere-literally nowhere and nothing to do for hours. Can't blame most folks who work for facilities who just want to be with their families.
    Last edited by G-DDT; January-14-15 at 06:32 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7