Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Tent City?

Default Tent City?

"Detroit officials have received no complaints about the tent city and have no plans to move them from the park, said Sgt. Michael Woody, a police department spokesman...."

It won't take long now, them Fireweed squatters out there on Goldengate and Woodward found that out after a write up in the paper.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...roit/20737307/
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; December-22-14 at 09:58 AM.

I wonder if I tried camping on Belle Isle in the summer I would be able to use the same excuse. Will report back...

"They're not breaking any laws that are violent in nature or effecting quality of life issues,"

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    I wonder if I tried camping on Belle Isle in the summer I would be able to use the same excuse. Will report back...

"They're not breaking any laws that are violent in nature or effecting quality of life issues,"
    They are "effecting" quality of life issues...for everyone else. They are creating a tent city on a major throughofare of a major city. All evidence to the contrary, this isn't the third world. They are trespassing, squatting on public land and should be removed to a shelter... no matter if "They really don't like shelter life because of the rules."

Down towards the bottom of this article is a comment of dwellings sharing or stealing utilities. This is something that is going on everywhere and increasing.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...our-own-753586

Even on God's little acre in Blissville, USA.

I'm sure there is some law somewhere, however obscure, written years ago that can and will be used against them.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; December-22-14 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    I'm sure they is some law somewhere, however obscure, written years ago that can and will be used against them.
    Obscure? It's basic trespassing. You can't set up a permanent encampment in a park.

there needs to be more state and county resources directed at low-income/uninsured mental health assistance, as well as shelters. There are empty schools and other abandoned city buildings that can be converted to shelters. The city should partner up with established human service agencies.

Willi Guest

Let's wait till its 5 degrees outside
    - some things take care of themselves
    Last edited by Willi; December-22-14 at 11:29 AM.

There is [[or was) a group of 4-5 tents in the south part of Lafayette Park just off Jefferson as well. I'm sure there are more around the city. As long as they're not causing problems, meh.

The empathy on this thread completely underwhelms me. The bulk of You seriously have no clue about the deplorable conditions at most/ not all, homeless shelters. On occaision we have housed homeless citizens. Have one now, he acquired a stable job, saved a bit and plans to get his own place in January.

Most "private" shelters collect state money and they are frauds. They turn people out at 8am regardless of temp, provide no food, quite often no beds, no counciling and people can't return until 6 pm. Each shelter has "term" limits some 30 days, some 60 days. In addition, what one owns must be taken with that person daily or they toss it in the trash.

A tent may suck but it provides minimal shelter 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    "Detroit officials have received no complaints about the tent city and have no plans to move them from the park, said Sgt. Michael Woody, a police department spokesman...."

It won't take long now, them Fireweed squatters out there on Goldengate and Woodward found that out after a write up in the paper.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...roit/20737307/
    What is a Fireweed squatter?

I get that it's illegal, but I have no problem with it. Homeless outreach should see everyone is ok, particularly in the colder months, but we have bigger fish to fry.

They were are a bunch, now fewer homeless people that started a commune of sorts in abandoned houses.
    A one time there was a number of websites up with pics and social commentary, this also has diminished after they had called to much attention to themselves. First came the 5 oh then came the bad guys.

Fireweed University...

Got to know them through couch surfing.

https://www.couchsurfing.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CouchSurfing
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; December-22-14 at 01:10 PM.

I went to GoldenGate in July and met up with the Fireweed people. They are mostly friendly folks who welcome visitors. I met one resident who had been squatting in an abandoned house. He now owns it, having picked it up for $500 at the county tax auction. He pays his taxes on time and has a job.

Photographer Dave Jordano has made several visits and has a number of photos of its residents on his website.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    They are "effecting" quality of life issues...for everyone else. They are creating a tent city on a major throughofare of a major city. All evidence to the contrary, this isn't the third world. They are trespassing, squatting on public land and should be removed to a shelter... no matter if "They really don't like shelter life because of the rules."
    As you type this with your warm hands, gas heat and a roof over your head.... These people aren't hurting you, as you look down from your lofty perch. Just thank God it's not you. Instead of thinking of ways to whisk them away to somewhere out-of-sight & out-of-mind, so you don't have to look at them in their unpleasantness, have you considered how you might help them? Better yet, since they haven't asked for your help, just leave them alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    I went to GoldenGate in July and met up with the Fireweed people. They are mostly friendly folks who welcome visitors. I met one resident who had been squatting in an abandoned house. He now owns it, having picked it up for $500 at the county tax auction. He pays his taxes on time and has a job.

Photographer Dave Jordano has made several visits and has a number of photos of its residents on his website.
    Yep, "They are mostly friendly folks who welcome visitors".

They done got more professional here is their site and all the pics are here

Just keep going back through Older Posts tabs.

I sympathize with homeless people with mental illness, disabilities, heck, even a criminal record. But I don't think able bodied individuals need to be homeless. Just google "dishwasher wanted Detroit" and you'll get a couple of hundred results. Most jobs pay at least 8 or 9 dollars an hour. Can you not rent a room on 350 a week?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post

Detroit is no longer a major city. I dont see these campers causing anyone inconvenience besides themselves. It warms my heart to know their presence is causing quality of life problems for you tho. Must be miserable to be bailey. Stuck on stressing over what other people choose to do with themselves... and dont bother frontlin like you dont.

Thank you Sumas and Jerry. As a member of the National Coalition for the Homeless I've cataloged quite a list of the many hideous things that can go wrong with shelters. I will spare you the laundry list, but I will say the two basic categories are: overbearing facilities that create a Procrustean and cult-like control [[an aberration to all liberties-be they promised of God or of this country-allowed all humanity) while food/facilities may very well be lacking [[I highly recommend finding out who the "Deeper Life" church of Tampa is and the problems they've caused here, and in Louisville, San Antonio, and Roanoke, etc.). Or you have a facility that just simply doesn't care, and the facility is filthy, filled with bedbugs, and they will make little attempts to intervene should one's life/possessions be in danger.

For the typical trolls who like to spout their "Bumhate", I offer you a challenge to put your money as far way from your mouth: it's called the "Life Stinks" challenge. It starts really easy, and it only takes a month. You freeze all accounts, take a month vacation from work, terminate phone service, end all contact with friends/family/loved ones, and head out penniless into the streets with nothing but a bag on your shoulder and a change of socks [[aw! you're all jaded lightweights, so, might as well make it a full change of clothes). You cannot be aided by a cellphone [[you have to earn that!), credit card, car, computer, etc. and you can't so much as even have a friend buy you a cup of coffee or use any other connections [[hint: since you are Noobies, I recommend doing that which I wasn't fortunate to start out with and make your way to the nearest collegetown-hope you don't get jumped by a bunch of U of M jocks at night).
    You have to survive by your wits [[this should be interesting), your will [[and knowing when to bend, adapt, and abide-getting tougher here), and your integrity of character [[which we can only assume you have all been so splendiferously good at developing so well up to now with your control of thought, word, and deeds). You will find out what it means to wait in long lines for...everything. You can get foodstamps, to eat at a community kitchen [[there are a few-spread out in long distances around town), to stay at a shelter with all of the snoring, coughing, farting, fighting, guys getting up at four-jostling your bunk-so they can head out to the temp places [[some of you may learn something from the religious services-if not, at least, which way one doesn't want to steer their Christian faith), you get to find out how conniving and harried social workers are, and dishwashing? [[still got to shower, eat, sleep, and survive until that first check comes in-and God forbid you're "under the table"-because you may be exploited big time by those who know they can get away with it. It's happened to me far too many times than I can count.). Heck! even just finding a place to go to the bathroom will be an adventure.
    You will see a side of humanity you've never seen before. I'm not just talking about the poor you will be with-you will truly see how the police, the business owners, and everyday persons [[you may recognize a few) who will treat you like a ghost or a subspecies mutant when all you sincerely want is directions or the time. You may ask yourself if you were ever like that.
    Wait until you get falsely accused for something. Then you will find it isn't just the food, the clothes, the roof, the washings, and material essentials you took for granted. It will be the dignity, the credibility, the privacy, the freedom [[oh yes.), the security, and your ever dwindling nerves that are robbed from you.
    So whose brave like Mel Brooks to try it, or were you all just chickensh*t B.S.-ers with a lot of digital courage but now oysters to back it up. Give it a try. Anyone who has read my posts-knows I have-just like Woody Guthrie. Let's see how YOU survive, much less witness how much it changes you [[maybe for the wiser). You will learn that a society can truly be judged by how it treats it's "lowest common denominator". I wish you God's blessings.

By the way, I am not the least abashed at that last large clunker I left you all. As far as tent cities and Occupies go: I got to see how they did it in Providence, R.I. They were not "aimless" and "unfocused". Seeing as Rhode Island treats their homeless like complete discarded filth, it was great to see citizens from all walks band together and make a strong demand that the wealthy city open a day-shelter, and they eventually got their demand-done with peace, persistence, and a lot of heart-now that is what democracy is all about. All the people having a say.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    to stay at a shelter with all of the snoring, coughing, farting, fighting, guys getting up at four-jostling your bunk-so they can head out to the temp places
    Sounds like an army barracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Sounds like an army barracks.
    Close. And a lot of those guys are Vets who got shafted one way or another on many much promised benefits. Sounds not right, or that they must've done something amiss, but I assure you, I met a lot of them, and they did not all seem weak of character.

Worth requoting again. You might want to add "having a non-stop cacophony of frightening voices chattering in your head" to your Life Stinks challenge now that the heartless streets are the new mental wards of our great republic.
    For the typical trolls who like to spout their "Bumhate", I offer you a challenge to put your money as far way from your mouth: it's called the "Life Stinks" challenge. It starts really easy, and it only takes a month. You freeze all accounts, take a month vacation from work, terminate phone service, end all contact with friends/family/loved ones, and head out penniless into the streets with nothing but a bag on your shoulder and a change of socks [[aw! you're all jaded lightweights, so, might as well make it a full change of clothes). You cannot be aided by a cellphone [[you have to earn that!), credit card, car, computer, etc. and you can't so much as even have a friend buy you a cup of coffee or use any other connections [[hint: since you are Noobies, I recommend doing that which I wasn't fortunate to start out with and make your way to the nearest collegetown-hope you don't get jumped by a bunch of U of M jocks at night).
    You have to survive by your wits [[this should be interesting), your will [[and knowing when to bend, adapt, and abide-getting tougher here), and your integrity of character [[which we can only assume you have all been so splendiferously good at developing so well up to now with your control of thought, word, and deeds). You will find out what it means to wait in long lines for...everything. You can get foodstamps, to eat at a community kitchen [[there are a few-spread out in long distances around town), to stay at a shelter with all of the snoring, coughing, farting, fighting, guys getting up at four-jostling your bunk-so they can head out to the temp places [[some of you may learn something from the religious services-if not, at least, which way one doesn't want to steer their Christian faith), you get to find out how conniving and harried social workers are, and dishwashing? [[still got to shower, eat, sleep, and survive until that first check comes in-and God forbid you're "under the table"-because you may be exploited big time by those who know they can get away with it. It's happened to me far too many times than I can count.). Heck! even just finding a place to go to the bathroom will be an adventure.
    You will see a side of humanity you've never seen before. I'm not just talking about the poor you will be with-you will truly see how the police, the business owners, and everyday persons [[you may recognize a few) who will treat you like a ghost or a subspecies mutant when all you sincerely want is directions or the time. You may ask yourself if you were ever like that.
    Wait until you get falsely accused for something. Then you will find it isn't just the food, the clothes, the roof, the washings, and material essentials you took for granted. It will be the dignity, the credibility, the privacy, the freedom [[oh yes.), the security, and your ever dwindling nerves that are robbed from you.
    So whose brave like Mel Brooks to try it, or were you all just chickensh*t B.S.-ers with a lot of digital courage but now oysters to back it up. Give it a try. Anyone who has read my posts-knows I have-just like Woody Guthrie. Let's see how YOU survive, much less witness how much it changes you [[maybe for the wiser). You will learn that a society can truly be judged by how it treats it's "lowest common denominator". I wish you God's blessings.

^^^I nominate this for the best post ever on DYes.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast