Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default John's Carpet House of Blues - Detroit City Council Hearing

Does anyone have a fix on the date for this agenda item supposedly scheduled for some time in January?

Who is John Carpet?

Johns Carpet Mouse Blues is a weekly Sunday event during nice weather. This a free open air music venue held on private property. The city keeps trying to shut it down and has been harassing its promoters all summer. Its existed for years with zippo problems so this new development is puzzling.
    Last edited by sumas; December-22-14 at 08:12 AM.

According to the facebook page, the hearing is January 6th at 1:30 pm, 36th district court, room 332. They're asking for monetary donations for an attorney and support by way of attendance at the hearing. See www.johnscarpethouse.com for more info.

Freckles: Thanks for the quick reply. We'll be there. Why the courts? Thought this was an issue with City Council.

Again, this is from the Facebook page...
    "To all blues lovers all over the world and especially here in Michigan who have come out to our free outdoors blues jam session held every Sunday during the summer months. We have been given nine trumped up tickets by the city, who wants us to re-locate, or shut us down so that private developers can acquire the property.

On January 6, 2015 at the 36th District court at 1:30 pm room 332, we are to appear to face these bogus charges. The Carpet house free jam intends to fight these charges. What we are doing is on private property owned by the carpet house in a vacant area. We ask that you share this article with your friends and go to www.johnscarpethouse.com and donate no matter how small so that we will be able to obtain a lawyer and pay court costs if necessary. We ask that you share this with your friends because we intend to fight this, plus what they are doing is a form of harassment, and God willing, we will prevail.

REMEMBER: 36th District Court, Jan. 6th at 1:30 pm room 332 located at Madison and Beaubien. We ask that you and your friends attend this hearing and show your support and please donate by way of www.johnscarpethouse.com"

I don't know what the tickets are for, who might be trying to acquire the property or why there has to be a court hearing.
    Last edited by freckles; December-23-14 at 02:18 PM.

Ron and Sumas, Id like to go to that meting with you, maybe I can catch a ride with you.
    Freckles, Ive lived in that area for almost 14 years [[Farnsworh x Moran) and whatyou said about developers rings true. I believe someone is setting fires to cheapen the land. There has been talks and plans to widen 94 there for years. Somethings going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Ron and Sumas, Id like to go to that meting with you, maybe I can catch a ride with you.
    Freckles, Ive lived in that area for almost 14 years [[Farnsworh x Moran) and whatyou said about developers rings true. I believe someone is setting fires to cheapen the land. There has been talks and plans to widen 94 there for years. Somethings going on.
    Of course we would be happy to pick you up. Maybe if we start earlier we could catch some lunch at On the rise bakery run by Caputians. Great sandwiches. Our treat. Will give you a call to firm plans. Small warning though, our phone is serious retarded now. In coming calls don't seem to come through with any consistancy. If any of your friends want to go I think we can seat seven in the van. Aaron is trying to buy a nearby vacant block for his rugby team but running into obstacles. No clue why. Will call you later.

Big Pete is going to court over 9 tickets, all bogus. Needs money to retain his attorney. We can contribute in a small way and plan to attend the court session. In twenty years never a problem sometimes as many as 300 people show.

I just shake my head sometimes in sadness. A cultural icon is being assaulted.

Ste Sumas

Update from the John's CarpetHouse Facebook page: "The city counsel has approved our free Sunday jam for the summer, the only counsel member who expressed reservation was counselman Tate so now we know where we stand with him..."

This is good news. Let the blues play on.

Just saw that too. Good news indeed!

Awesome venue. Hope all come out this summer. It's fun, safe and free will donations.

Just might get my husband to dig out his old Rickenbacker [[sp) to play a riff or two.

I will leave it in someone else's good and talented hands. I am but a, not the words I want, neophyte with a thing of glory.

I think we're going to see more bogus blight enforcement used as a stand-in for eminent domain, since the government is, ostensibly, not allowed to transfer seized properties for private use.

It's pretty common in LA. It's how the now-disbanded CRA/LA got most of it's property.

Pete will be talking about the outdoor jam today at 11 am on 1440 am. Sorry for the short notice.

The only tickets that have been received are by mail, and court dates have been postponed routinely. Then Pete received notice that he "didn't show up" for a date. The new date is April 1. Now he needs to have an event license with parking, etc. Councilman Tate was the only one who opposed because of the number of people who may show up and that police may not be able to contain issues should they arise.

Pete says this land is wanted for urban farming and water reclamation [[?) / reprocessing center and the council is trying to kick him out. He's been offered purchase agreements several times but he won't sell because the land "is sacred ground" as John's ashes are spread there.

Again, the new court date is April 1, room 332, 8:30 am 36th district court. They want as many people there for support as possible.

Dang I thought that got resolved. Been on for years with no problems. Police not needed unless they are directed there to hassle. Will try hard to be there. Sigh!!!!!!

Be careful what you ask for. There have been lots of calls for code enforcement. This is the result.
    Remember this when you ask for yet another law controlling something.

Great piece today in Deadline Detroit by Danny Fenster. As many supporters as possible should be at tomorrow's court hearing.
    http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...e#.VRqvF5V_nIU

Quote Originally Posted by 65memories View Post
    Great piece today in Deadline Detroit by Danny Fenster. As many supporters as possible should be at tomorrow's court hearing.
    http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...e#.VRqvF5V_nIU
    Thank you for sharing that article. Alarm is set, we don't much like early AM starts. This is something worth showing support for. A court room isn't like council and we will have no voice. Still seems worthy of attending.

Did make it. $10 for parking. The lines to be processed, unbelievable. Security screaming. Apparently the system has zero respect for citizens. I can appreciate a certain level of security but that was like, way, way over the top. Met Big Pete in the hall on the third floor, threw money at him and said outta here. The court attorney, an amazing dolt.

No clue what transpired, the experience provided was too revolting.

So what happened at the hearing?

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    So what happened at the hearing?
    I'll ask Ron to give an undate. He talked to Pete afterwards.

I don't know the outcome of the hearing. I didn't take down the exact room
    number - asked a clerk about John's Carpet House, she didn't know; wandered into
    traffic court down the hall, talked to the staffer in there, he didn't know. I would
    guess that at least a hundred cases are heard every day in the third floor courtrooms.
    There is a monitor overhead showing names and cases. The case was heard.
    Chatted with the lawyer afterwards, it seems that the concerts will continue through
    next summer, but I have the feeling there may be more code enforcement actions
    as well, am sure donations will be very helpful.
    I have never been to any of the Carpet House shows - I can say that Mr. Fenster
    wrote a good article in Deadline Detroit; I can say that having a wide variety of
    cultural venues is good for the city; I can say I have met true blues lovers in Detroit.

Thought Ron would do an update but guess not. Big Pete copped a plea. Several tickets dropped paid 2. $575 . The judge was a bitch. Guess music isn't her thing.

He still has no clue what his standing is for the new season start up. The venue is great. Thought my protest days were over but guess we can do this last one. Do jails allow walkers, scooters, canes? The harassment is just nuts. This has been going on for years with zero issues.

Dumpling you will love the Jams. The city worked hard to shut down what made the venue really sweet. The Harleys, classic cars, BBQ's awesome.

Pretty sure donations welcome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast