Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Center "The Next Retail District"?

The intersection of Woodward & Grand Blvd is a hot spot for many reasons.

1. The infrastructure is still pretty solid, despite closed buildings and empty storefronts. A complete rehab and concept plans is needed.

2. M-1 Rail will have a station at this intersection, which should be very attractive to retailers and restaurants.

3. Rehab the buildings on Woodward as lofts above and ground floor retail. We need more residents in the middle of it all, maybe adding new construction to the Milwaukee loft district and North End district.

4. Hopefully they build a Intermodal Transit Center for M-1 Rail & Amtrak/ Commuter Rail. This can be a great attraction traveling from Chicago and/or Ann Arbor and see a vibrant shopping district and activities soon as you step off the train.

This could be the next major thing, how can this district become that without major investment like....um Gilbert. This area has amazing potential, the street wall is still intact. Some great mid size infill residential buildings will change this area dramatically.

What type of retail will make this area a prime shopping district?

Can this work?

Can we get the first retail district going before we worry about the next? Sorry for the downer attitude but lets face it retail is still iffy downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Can we get the first retail district going before we worry about the next? Sorry for the downer attitude but lets face it retail is still iffy downtown.
    Agreed!!!!

I don't know how big a retail district New Center would become. I'm working from memory here, but for all practical purposes, it was 2 districts, one being the shops in the Fisher and GM Buildings [[plus Saks) and the other being that little commercial strip on Woodward between Lothrop and Baltimore, with almost no connection between the 2.

development will come to this area once downtown and midtown are built out a bit more along woodward. you cant spread this kind of development too thin at this time, you need to build up the areas that are strong and then it will naturally spread to new center. i do think new center 10-20 years from now will be a very different place. it is a great spot that could easily become more of a residential hub.

Lots of potential on Woodward in New Center. It's looking pretty drab right now, but I'm willing to bet most of the vacant stores will soon be activated and the existing ones pushed out soon after and replaced by more upscale ones. When? The M1 Rail is less than two years from opening, so probably around then.

I spent the weekend at The St Regis a few weeks ago and unfortunately there was no evidence to suggest this area is ripe to become anything at all. My guess is that if you were to pull the demographics they would suggest the same.
    Last edited by TTime; December-21-14 at 07:18 PM.

There is a lot of great housing stock between Grand Blvd and Virginia Park.

I've always thought that New Center would be a fantastic gayborhood.

The parking lot CCS has between Baltimore and Milwaukee would be ideal for a grocery store. I think that would attract more foot traffic and that would attract more retail and residential.
    If the M1 rail went west along the boulevard pass Henry Ford hospital to the Motown museum, then that would increase the foot traffic for retail as well. Too bad that wasnt a consideration. If M1 wasnt going to 8Mile, then it might as well have ended at a destination spot for hospital employees and tourists. My two cents.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    There is a lot of great housing stock between Grand Blvd and Virginia Park.

I've always thought that New Center would be a fantastic gayborhood.
    There are already some A-lister[[Detroit variety anyway) 'mos in the neighborhood.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/gayfriendly611.aspx

Would be cool to see that area give a strong impression as soon as you step out of the Amtrak Station. Hopefully in the next decade that will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    There are already some A-lister[[Detroit variety anyway) 'mos in the neighborhood.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/gayfriendly611.aspx
    The REAL A-Listers won't be there unless I move back.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    The parking lot CCS has between Baltimore and Milwaukee would be ideal for a grocery store. I think that would attract more foot traffic and that would attract more retail and residential.
    If the M1 rail went west along the boulevard pass Henry Ford hospital to the Motown museum, then that would increase the foot traffic for retail as well. Too bad that wasnt a consideration. If M1 wasnt going to 8Mile, then it might as well have ended at a destination spot for hospital employees and tourists. My two cents.
    I believe there's plans to have a connector rail along West grand Blvd, looping from Brush st. to Rosa Park ave. Connecting Motown museum and Henry Ford Hospital main campus. The M-1 rail station at W. Grand blvd is name "Henry Ford Health System".

I say loop a street car along the whole blvd, from Mexicantown to Belle Isle. It only make sense.

You'll see huge new residential projects happening along the Blvd, connecting directly to M-1 rail.

"Grand Blvd" Rail Line sounds good to me.

I love the complete East and West Blvd loop idea. We live near Belle Isle and but are frequently in Mexicantown.

When I was young Woodward @ the Blvd was a viable commercial district. I still miss Lellis restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    I spent the weekend at The St Regis a few weeks ago and unfortunately there was no evidence to suggest this area is ripe to become anything at all. My guess is that if you were to pull the demographics they would suggest the same.
    Agreed, spent a couple of days there a month ago. Absolutely nothing within walking distance at night except for one overpriced cafe and Church's Chicken. I did get to cross off walking down Woodward with a bag of Church's Chicken off my bucket list.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I still miss Lellis restaurant.
    Yep, shame the place burned down [[although many would say it's a shame the owners torched it them immediately opened a place in Aurburn Hills)

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Agreed, spent a couple of days there a month ago. Absolutely nothing within walking distance at night except for one overpriced cafe and Church's Chicken. I did get to cross off walking down Woodward with a bag of Church's Chicken off my bucket list.
    There is the Northern Lights Lounge at 660 West Baltimore Street, Detroit, MI 48202
    A very unique nightlife spot, live music a couple of nights a week, cool patio

Yelp.com reviews 4 out 5 stars

There is also the Zenith restaurant - very unique Southern/Mexican fusion restaurant/bar that is open to 11 pm on Wednesdays, and midnights from Thursday through Saturday

Yelp.com review 4 out of 5 stars

There is also the Fire Water Bar and Grill on John R between Grand Blvd and Milwaukee Street [[still technically in New Center), open till 2 am everyday

Google Reviews 4.5 out of 5 stars

There is also a gay bar on Woodward on that dead retail strip, but there is no signage in front. Its entrance is in the back of the building, on the same street as that post office.

All of these are a 1-2 minute walk from Hotel St. Regis. I am disappointed you didn't know about these places and experience them. Maybe next time.
    Last edited by masterblaster; December-22-14 at 10:31 AM.

I think that Woodward and Grand Blvd area will come back as a major retail district in the future. I had spoken to an ex council person a few months ago. That ex council person had informed me that the Midtown/New Center area will be the next shopping destination. It was a second shopping destination from the early 1900s thru the 1980. Crowley, Saks, Dietrich Furs, Baker Shoes. When the New Center One building was built it housed Crowley until 1999 and other stores. I still feel that a City Target or JCPenney would do good in the area whether inside the New Center One building, that if some businesses inside the center would move out, or along the strip of Woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    II had spoken to an ex council person a few months ago. That ex council person had informed me that the Midtown/New Center area will be the next shopping destination.
    Ah, well that settles it, then...

The New Center doesn't really have the bones for retail. New Center One didn't work as retail, and the Woodward corridor basically died. Of course Saks was there back in the day, and the GM Bldg used to have luxury retail. There are, of course, a few businesses, but there isn't really a functional street-level retail corridor existing anywhere in Michigan that would provide a template for traditional pedestrian-oriented retail within an urban context.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Ah, well that settles it, then...

The New Center doesn't really have the bones for retail. New Center One didn't work as retail, and the Woodward corridor basically died. Of course Saks was there back in the day, and the GM Bldg used to have luxury retail. There are, of course, a few businesses, but there isn't really a functional street-level retail corridor existing anywhere in Michigan that would provide a template for traditional pedestrian-oriented retail within an urban context.
    Disagree. New Center One was built when the area was on a drastic downturn. Midtown is already getting boutiques in the area. New Center has the bones and the skin to rival Birmingham and Royal Oak

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Yep, shame the place burned down [[although many would say it's a shame the owners torched it them immediately opened a place in Aurburn Hills)
    Kind of thought the same myself, convienent. My husband's aunt would get free tickets to the theater and share them with us. When my husband or I had cause to celebrate [[raise, new job etc) we went to Lellis. Loved the crazy old style ambiance. Best minestone soup and wish I had their recipe. The lasagna was uunique too. Not driving that far for faded memories. Hope the food is still good as ever though for suburban patrons.

Do you remeber Cardellis just off Gratiot? It served illegal homemade wine during prohibition and they continued on serving wine until the day they closed in heavy coffee cup crockery. Great food.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    There is the Northern Lights Lounge at 660 West Baltimore Street, Detroit, MI 48202
    A very unique nightlife spot, live music a couple of nights a week, cool patio

Yelp.com reviews 4 out 5 stars

There is also the Zenith restaurant - very unique Southern/Mexican fusion restaurant/bar that is open to 11 pm on Wednesdays, and midnights from Thursday through Saturday

Yelp.com review 4 out of 5 stars

There is also the Fire Water Bar and Grill on John R between Grand Blvd and Milwaukee Street [[still technically in New Center), open till 2 am everyday

Google Reviews 4.5 out of 5 stars

There is also a gay bar on Woodward on that dead retail strip, but there is no signage in front. Its entrance is in the back of the building, on the same street as that post office.

All of these are a 1-2 minute walk from Hotel St. Regis. I am disappointed you didn't know about these places and experience them. Maybe next time.
    Thanks for this list. I'll check out Firewater next time I stay there.

I used to be a regular at Northern Lights, so I knew about that one.

Is Zenith the place on the southwest corner of Woodward and the Blvd.? That place seemed way overpriced for the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Thanks for this list. I'll check out Firewater next time I stay there.

I used to be a regular at Northern Lights, so I knew about that one.

Is Zenith the place on the southwest corner of Woodward and the Blvd.? That place seemed way overpriced for the menu.
    Zenith is the relatively new restaurant in the Fisher Building, at the southeast corner of the Building [[2nd Ave and the Blvd). The restaurant's decor and menu is one-of-a-kind. Please read the reviews I linked to.

The cafe you are referencing is the New Center Eatery. I don't know if it is overpriced, but the place is regarded to have the best chicken and waffles in the metro area.
    Last edited by masterblaster; December-22-14 at 03:53 PM.

Lack of dense residential development and scattered neighborhoods in the area is the issue. The area still has a "9-5" atmosphere.

We need more residents right in the middle of it all. It doesn't feel like a 24-hour district. This problem might be due to the area downfall.

If up to 2,000 new residential units comes aboard in the New Center area then we talking business. I guarantee retail will follow. Density is key.

New Center has great bones for more development to come in, we just need the meat..$$$. If a developer plan that many units I guarantee it will get a great return on investment. That area is destine to become a hot spot, just a matter of time.

Just a little tidbit in the morning fish wrapper. The did a poll of millennials [[1980-2000 birthdates).. 16 per cent said they wanted to live in an urban core. 55 per cent wanted an inner suburb. 38 per cent wanted an outer suburb. 5 per cent wanted to live in a bedroom community "way out". Yeah, I know it adds up to more than 100 per cent, but I am just quoting the article. Oh, these millennials also expect their house to have 2,000 to 3,000 square feet up from 1,500-2,000 sq ft for the boomers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast