Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default New Years Revelation!: What do other forum posters think of you.

In the spirit of those who-I guess-become self-absorbed/self-conscious right before making New Year's resolutions, I propose an odd and creative exercise [[and it'll be interesting to see who participates and who doesn't). Here are the rules: each forum member can post only one paragraph post that embodies and epitomizes the full gamut critique of how they may feel other members see them in an ugly light. No one is allowed to follow up to other's posts with "Yeah I can see that" or "don't forget this".
    Here I'll start it off: "What's with that G-DDT homeless dirtbag jag-off always pining for the Clinton days of techno and Melvins rock? He writes hideously huge highly digressive posts that are peppered with bean-counting shopping lists. He's negatively seditious one minute and pontificating like a Dominican priest the next. He always sites books [[Bor-ring as fossilized sh*t!), but won't easy-link anyone to an outside site. When did this guy join? He hasn't even been on that long, and he already leaves a sour taste in everyone's mouth."
    See. An exercise in humble self-deprication. That easy.
    One paragraph. One post. Only you.
    Anyone brave? Anyone game?

No good can come from this...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Uh UH Uhhh. Nope. Only about you. No one can reply to another's post [[except what I am clarifying here). And for those who fail to see the relevant validity of this, keep in mind this is about the forum posters as they appear [[noone is asking for personal divulgement here) on DetroitYES who actively participate and prove their interest in Detroit regularly. Consider it a tension-breaker for the holidays or treat it like the other exercises [[like "Name that Street"). Be brave.
    Last edited by G-DDT; December-18-14 at 09:24 PM.

Agreed on that!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

sometimes arrogant prick, sometimes devil's advocate, although I haven't done that lately, a leftist - mostly, occasionally mean [[sorry 'bout that chief!)

Default The Backwater Gospel

Oh dear, I spit enough vitrol on line toward ignorant arrogant posters. Much rather say nice things about enlightened posters. My list is long and I am scared I may leave too many out. Here is my short list. Apologies to many not listed. Kathleen and David, Lowell, Gannon, Cub, Plymouth res, Gaz, Blueione, Corner Office, Ray 1936, Tpone, Django, Ronaldj, Gistok, Detroitgirl, Canuck and the list could go for ever. Listing ones I don't like would be too easy. A few creeps post under multiple screen names and are beneath contempt.
    Last edited by sumas; December-27-14 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Oh dear, I spit enough vitrol on line toward ignorant arrogant posters. Much rather say nice things about enlightened posters. My list is long and I am scared I may leave too many out. Here is my short list. Apologies to many not listed. Kathleen and David, Lowell, Gannon, Cub, Plymouth res, Gaz, Blueione, Corner Office, Ray 1936, Tpone, Django, Ronaldj, Gistok, Detroitgirl, Canuck and the list could go for ever. Listing ones I don't like would be too easy. A few creeps post under multiple screen names and are beneath contempt.
    You don't have to always agree with her but you havta love her because she is real, human, doing the best she can.

A far cry from a bonefide tea bagger that comes with a agenda that every dollar spent in the D is government waste and starts a new thread pushing that agenda five times a day with 3 different, aliases.

It has been a pleasure to meet you sumas you don't deserve to be picked on for just being who you actually are. You are a credit to this board.

I bring with me, very few profound remarks. As my years accrue and my aphasia expands, I can only offer second-hand material. Brother Brenden [[as some of you may remember) was my mentor in High School. Most of his efforts were mental but there was an occasional physical enjoinment to keep the flow going. Now, more to the question, “Who doesn’t like me?” According to Bro B, if you are speaking to an audience of 1,000 people and only one of them applauds with little enthusiasm, you can be sure that the other 999 are mesmerized and stunned with your verbal abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    You don't have to always agree with her but you havta love her because she is real, human, doing the best she can.

A far cry from a bonefide tea bagger that comes with a agenda that every dollar spent in the D is government waste and starts a new thread pushing that agenda five times a day with 3 different, aliases.

It has been a pleasure to meet you sumas you don't deserve to be picked on for just being who you actually are. You are a credit to this board.
    First I must say I love your screen name. I truly appreciate varied opinions that are presented logically. There is opportunity to grow at every stage of life. I understand that many of my political stances don't sit well with all.

I try to chronicle life in Detroit and frankly to live here takes some fortitude and humor. Told a story today that got people laughing [[many will not approve) a house down the street sells weed. In the summer, they set up a BBQ grill, sell ribs and chicken. Thursdays Fridays and Saturdays. Its a cover for weed sales and they do get some buyers for the grilled food too. Great cover.

To me its funny, to others pure horror. I get that too. As a community we suspected he up graded to the more hard stuff, kind of confirmed by undercover cops watching down the street. Frankly they are a little obvious. I walked down, told him he was being staked out. He wasn't happy with me, but did dump the scary stuff sales.

New Years Revelation!: What do other forum posters think of you.
    Probably not all that much.....mais qui se en soucie. I don't.
    Last edited by old guy; January-01-15 at 03:29 AM.

In an ideal world a forum is a place where events and ideas are discussed, not other members and their personal behavior. "It's about the ideas, not me."

If one disagrees with another's point of view, one discusses and critiques the point of view - never the person.

Members only address the forum as a whole and never each other directly.

Moderating such a forum would be bliss. In fact it would be unnecessary.

Well this is not a perfect world. And moderating can be a tiresome and thankless task. No matter what you decide you will be the bad guy to somebody and your time has been wasted.

But it has been worth every annoying minute, well almost. :) So consider the larger picture.

Two million+ posts packed with Detroit history, politics, developments, arts, humor, controversy, sports, and on and on and on are floating in the cloud for all the world to see. Personally, 95% of what I know about our international metropolis, I have learned through this forum. It is a fabulous collection and has been visited by tens of millions of visitors. Search anything Detroit-related and append site:DetroitYES.com [site:atdetroit.net for old forum archives] to narrow your search to this site. You will find it here, sometimes several pages of links. Countless people have met each other through the forum and gone on to do positive things for Detroit. Newcomers have found advice and Detroit has been defended and celebrated through thick and thin. That's why it is worth it.

And take up this challenge. Randomly sample 100 posts. You will discover that the percentage of personal spat posts are a very low percentage, less the 2% if that. Other than a handful of occasionally squabbling regulars, it is very a informative, warm-spirited and good-willed read.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    In an ideal world a forum is a place where events and ideas are discussed, not other members and their personal behavior. "It's about the ideas, not me."

If one disagrees with another's point of view, one discusses and critiques the point of view - never the person.

Members only address the forum as a whole and never each other directly.

Moderating such a forum would be bliss. In fact it would be unnecessary.

Well this is not a perfect world. And moderating can be a tiresome and thankless task. No matter what you decide you will be the bad guy to somebody and your time has been wasted.

But it has been worth every annoying minute, well almost. So consider the larger picture.

Two million+ posts packed with Detroit history, politics, developments, arts, humor, controversy, sports, and on and on and on are floating in the cloud for all the world to see. Personally, 95% of what I know about our international metropolis, I have learned through this forum. It is a fabulous collection and has been visited by tens of millions of visitors. Search anything Detroit-related and append siteetroitYES.com [site:atdetroit.net for old forum archives] to narrow your search to this site. You will find it here, sometimes several pages of links. Countless people have met each other through the forum and gone on to do positive things for Detroit. Newcomers have found advice and Detroit has been defended and celebrated through thick and thin. That's why it is worth it.

And take up this challenge. Randomly sample 100 posts. You will discover that the percentage of personal spat posts are a very low percentage, less the 2% if that. Other than a handful of occasionally squabbling regulars, it is very a informative, warm-spirited and good-willed read.
    Let me say a New Year greeting and best wishes to you. This forum has been a lifeline to me for many reasons. The intelligence, the sharing of info, just amazing. I have met on line and in person so many gifted people from this country and around the world.

I honor you with allowing free speech. I imagine I am one of those "petty" squabblers but I hope you note that it is always in defense of Detroit. Via PM and email lots of things get worked out at least with those who have an IQ. Its a big world and there is room for disagreement or interpretation of events.

Hoping to host an out of country guest this summer, said, stay two weeks to really view all the sweet cultural things about Detroit. Actually you know the person.

Happy New Year and wishing you all the best. A big Thank You too.