Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DDOT Bike Racks

Default DDOT Bike Racks

I am wondering what DDOT routes have bike racks currently installed. As far as I know, route 40 Russell is the only route to have them installed.

Are there any others? I want to take 21 Grand River tonight to my friend in Old Redford, and bring my bike. I was considering taking the SMART, but if DDOT has bike racks, I will definatly take it first, because it comes way more often and I won't have to wait... and it is 24/7, so I won't have to worry about how late I stay out. I like taking my bike, because I don't have to walk from my destination to the bus stop, and it is nice at night, because I'm not as paranoid of getting jumped.

DDOT is suppose to have all busses on all routes installed with bike racks. I'm assuming this hasn't happened yet, because I take the bus around once a week and haven't noticed them. But maybe i'm just oblivious. Does anyone know when all the busses will actually have the bike racks installed?

I read on a previous thread that there is complications with two different types of bike racks that aren't compatible. But thats the only thing I've heard. The DDOT website says nothing about the installation progress, but does have a pamphlet on how to put your bike on the bike rack [[if only there was one!!!!!!).

stinkbug Guest

A few days ago I saw a Russell bus without bike racks. I haven't seen any other routes with bike racks. So you can't even really depend on the one route that's supposed to have them.
    Somebody fucked that good idea up I bet; surprise.

MIRepublic Guest

There are two or three existing threads on this very subject. Do a search. Mods should merge this with one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    There are two or three existing threads on this very subject. Do a search. Mods should merge this with one of them.
    i did a seach but there was nothing recently, and no thread specificly on this topic that I could find. but i didn't look long. i just wanted a quick answer from friendly ppl on the forum.

but i've already decided what i'm going to do. walk and take the DDOT. considering there is no SMART service on grand river at this time on sunday.

I've spoken with a project manager at DDOT and also a planner who is working on the BOB project. They chose Russell as the example or "test" bus route to use the bike racks because it connects with the Dequindre cut greenway. DDOT has now changed it so that the buses containing the bike racks can be used on other routes other than Russell. It may seem like DDOT doesn't have any bike racks anymore because they're are only a few of the buses out there using them. They have recieved a grant to otufit the entire fleet of buses with bike racks, but as the planner told me, they are waiting to have the funds released to DDOT. They are currently putting together a plan to purchase and outfit the DDOT fleet with the bike racks.

I was unable to make it to the last DDOT customer meeting. It is very important that DDOT is held to the fire to make sure that the equipping of bike racks on buses is done in a timely manner. It seems that nothing gets done in Detroit, otherwise.

I post and plea that any who are willing to go, to please show up at the next DDOT customer information meeting and obtain monthly updates on the status of those bike racks.

Thank you

Seems like it'd be a low priority when Bing's cutting routes.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    Seems like it'd be a low priority when Bing's cutting routes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the funding for the bike racks was either a state or federal grant.

80 percent of the funds come from the federal Transportation Enhancement Program. To cut this back would be like giving away four dollars of federal money for every one dollar of City money. That is terrible policy.

Then apparently, there is a delay somewhere.

During the past couple of months that I've been commuting by bike, there hasn't been an increase in the availability of bike racks. It is as if DDOT isn't working on equipping them at all.

According to the final chart from SEMCOG, p. 92, that includes the equipping of bike racks on DDOT buses, the city has to contribute $151,000 to match whatever the feds contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    80 percent of the funds come from the federal Transportation Enhancement Program. To cut this back would be like giving away four dollars of federal money for every one dollar of City money. That is terrible policy.
    Well, I'll be. I had no idea. Then it's just stupid that they don't have them yet.
    I have yet to see a rack on a DDOT bus, and have been considering going out of my way to take a SMART bus instead because of it.

Today on my way to Jack's Bikes, I stopped at the Rosa Parks Transit Center. There's a rumor in DDOT that the bike racks will be equipped on every bus by Transportation Week in May.

I will go to the DDOT Customer Meeting this month to confirm.

I went to the customer meeting on Thursday.

DDOT hasn't purchased the bike racks yet, despite the fact that government money had already been allocated a long time ago.

I don't know if there are any League of Michigan Bicyclists members here, or Transportation Riders United members, but I think that it would be a good time to bring this to the city council and demand an explanation of why these racks aren't equipped.

Call the News! This has been literally promised for years. They claim they still have the money which may prove not to be true.

MichMatters Guest

Tiger,

Since this is of such importance to you, obviously, why don't you trying contacting the League of Michigan Bicyclists. Seriously. I'm sure they'd be very helpful in bringing this to the attention of the proper parties. They do a lot of good work.

Detroit consists of the LMB's Region 1, who contact is board member Steven Roach [[sroach@LMB.org). Is Steven a forumer, here? You could also try contact them at their central office in Lansing [[office@LMB.org). There are phone numbers, too, but I'll let you go to them as needed on their website.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MichMatters View Post
    Tiger,

Since this is of such importance to you, obviously, why don't you trying contacting the League of Michigan Bicyclists. Seriously. I'm sure they'd be very helpful in bringing this to the attention of the proper parties. They do a lot of good work.

Detroit consists of the LMB's Region 1, who contact is board member Steven Roach [[sroach@LMB.org). Is Steven a forumer, here? You could also try contact them at their central office in Lansing [[office@LMB.org). There are phone numbers, too, but I'll let you go to them as needed on their website.

Good luck!
    Thanks! I'll be sure to drop him a line.

Default New Buses!!

Here's a lil' good news for those who have been inquiring about bicycle racks on DDOT buses. The first four of about fifty new coaches were delivered to DDOT this past week with total delivery expected by the end of April. And yes, the new buses do come already equipped with bike racks. Stay tuned.

Default Response from the city [[unofficial)

Although the news I got was unofficial, here's the news that I received via e-mail:

I did receive your message this meek after the furlough day on the 15th. I should inform you that Rick Bowers is no longer on the staff of Councilman Cockrel. He has successfully transitioned to a new position in the private sector where he will involved in a major sustainable, green rehabilitation of one of Detroit's Landmarks structures, the Historic Book Tower. We will miss him and wish him luck in all of his endeavors.

In absence of Mr. Bowers, Emery Northington will be taking over the administrative responsibilities with respect to the Green Task Force. I will be handling certain ordinance related issues. I have checked to see if a response has been garnered to Mr. Cockrel's memo, and too my knowledge, there has not been one as of yet. I have requested an updated from the department. Until that time, please allow me to inform you of what I know unofficially.

The Detroit Department of Transportation intends to complete the installation of bike racks on all D-DOT buses by the end of the year. Your assertion that it is Federal money is indeed correct, and I can confirm that it has been received. I do not know if a route specific work schedule of installing racks has been compiled, but I will investigate that possibility. As I receive information, I will forward it to you.

I do recognize that the progress of installing the Bike Racks on D-DOT buses does not match either your or Councilman's sense of urgency. Nevertheless, we intend to continue pressuring and monitoring progress in this area until such time as all is complete. I thank you for your continued interest, and look forward to working with you in the future.

Coit Cook Ford III, Sr. Policy Advisor
    Office of City Councilman
    Kenneth V. Cockrel Jr.
    2 Woodward Avenue,
    Suite 1340 CAYMC
    Detroit, Michigan 48226
    [[313) 224-1249 [[direct)
    [[313) 605-7005 [[mobile)
    [[313) 224-0367 [[facsimile)

A copy of the memo sent by Kenneth Cockrel is under attachments.
    Last edited by Tig3rzhark; March-19-10 at 06:10 AM. Reason: extra info

I wonder how the DDOT bus drivers feel about bike racks on the buses.

If they don't want them, this could contribute to the dragging of feet.

Here's a view of one of the factory installed bike racks found on the new buses currently being delivered to DDOT. A fleet of 50 are due by the end of April. The buses are currently being fitted with fare boxes and radios. After an instruction period to familiarize drivers with some of the new features [[such as the bike racks) they will begin to hit the road!

Attachment 5617
    New DDOT coach #1002 w/ bike rack is parked along-side one of the older 2004 models [[w/o bike rack).

Bearinabox Guest

Nice, thanks for posting. Do you know why they reset the numbers to 10xx?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Nice, thanks for posting. Do you know why they reset the numbers to 10xx?
    Very good question! Many DDOT operators have been wondering the very same thing. I plan to head over to the adm. office sometime next week and I'll ask around.

Here's speculation ONLY!!!! I'm wondering if DDOT is beginning to pick up the practice which SEMTA/SMART has been using since 1979, i.e., numbering their bus fleet to correspond to the year purchased. This is the year 2010, and oddly, instead of continuing with the numbering sequence began in 1975, which would have made this fleet a #4300-series, the department started over at #1000. The only problem with this would be if over 100 coaches are purchased in a given year, which does happen from time to time. As a matter of fact, it could happen this year.

But remember, this is only speculation on my part until I find out the real deal.

The first two number of the new DDOT coaches indicate the year delivered, thus this years 1001-1050 D40LF New Flyer coaches indicate they were delivered in 2010. All will be fitted with bike racks and are arriving at this time for service.

http://detroittransithistory.info/DD0T-1012_011-tg.jpg

Why are they buying new coaches? I'm not trying to pick on Detroit and pick at it, but one would have thought they might be able to make due with older stock, at least temporarily.

In any event, it's good that there will be more bike racks on DDOT buses.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    Why are they buying new coaches? I'm not trying to pick on Detroit and pick at it, but one would have thought they might be able to make due with older stock, at least temporarily.

In any event, it's good that there will be more bike racks on DDOT buses.
    Capital improvements such as new buses come out of dedicated pots of federal money explicitly set aside for that purpose. If DDOT chose to forgo buying new buses, they'd leave that money on the table, and would have to use extremely scarce operations dollars [[which are raised locally from a combination of farebox revenue and the CoD general fund) to keep patching up the old ones. There's no logical reason for them to try to "make do with older stock."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast