Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Advertisement atop Freep front page

Today's paper. Have never seen an ad in such a prominent place in FP.

In case you wanted to see it:

Click here for higher resolution
    Name:  Freep12182014.jpg
Views: 2774
Size:  59.3 KB

Willi Guest

No advertising revenue, no publishing

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    No advertising revenue, no publishing
    You're quite right. Advertising bugs me too, but it's a necessary evil, not only with the news media but with the internet. Just learn to mentally turn it off. Like hanging up on a sales call.

It doesn't bother me. I get it, the business can't be supported by subscriptions alone. It's a bummer that they're hitting their premium subscribers with more prominent ads, but the alternative is higher prices.

Ad positioning has always been crucial in newsprint but this is pretty wild. Having worked as what was once known as a 'paste up' page design and layout artist, it's still incredible to see a newspaper masthead that secondary to advertising, dead top like that. Wow!

Willi Guest

I would rather see that on a masthead, then the endless load of weekend crap thrown in my driveway, skirting the mailbox issue of permits for junk mail

I loathe the newspapers for that alone

Well, Gordo apparently had the right amount of bucks the Free Press wanted...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Well, Gordo apparently had the right amount of bucks the Free Press wanted...
    I remember these from my childhood:

DetroitYES Members
    Make a donation to support DetroitYES
    and have ads removed from your DetroitYES account.