Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Best book on Detroit music?

Is there a definitive book on the history of music in Detroit? I know Motown has been documented to death, but what about all the other, smaller labels?

Well, I'm reading autobios. I'm reading Respect, the biog of Aretha Franklin, and can't put the book down. It's not about Detroit music, but about her life. Great read.
    The Women of Motown is another concise book.
    Berry Gordy's "To Be loved" is the one the musical is based on, and it's very good.
    Divided Soul - Marvin Gaye.
    There are tons of books about musicians and music history. Take your pick.

I'll offer a few I've read. Rockin' Down the Dial by David Carson. It's a history of Detroit Radio from the 1950s to the 1970s. The Road Through Motown by Ralph Terrana. He was a member of the Sunliners and left the group before they morphed into Rare Earth. He later ran a record label in Detroit. Before Motown by Lars Bjorn. It's a history of jazz in Detroit from 1920-1960. And one I have but haven't yet read - Grit, Noise and Revolution, the Birth of Detroit Rock 'n' Roll, also by David Carson.

+The OP already said that "Motown has been documented to death".
    A good place to start, IMO, is somewhere in between, something so easy to connect the dots, yet as easy to find. Good references also as kids were asking about where to find their "roots" as early as 1959 [[in my pre-birth time) in Detroit. Much more so in 1968 to 1970.

http://www.amazon.com/MC5-Social-Cha...der_0786440376

"Detroit Rock City" by Steve Miller is worth checking out.

Still looking for a good book on Detroit's '60's folk music scene.....

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Still looking for a good book on Detroit's '60's folk music scene.....
    Yeah, I have an old record of Ron Coden playing the Raven. He and Josh White used to do shows at North Rosedale Park.

I really enjoyed Before Motown: A History of Jazz in Detroit. Gives great context to the social environment that brought the Motown scene into existance.
    http://www.amazon.com/Before-Motown-.../dp/0472067656

Ralph Terrana's book "The Road Through Motown" is a very interesting book that, although it spends some time covering Motown from the inside, also covers Ralph's career as owner/operator of Tera Shirma Studios, and there's a of pre-Motown musical history in there. BTW, Ralph is the moderator of www.soulfldetroit.com , this place's companion site.

As to folk music, either Joni Mitchell's or Tom Rush's website [[I don't remember which one) has a nice rundown of the Detroit folk scene in the mid 60's. Alas, it's not much more than an overview, but to read it makes you only want for more info.....