Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Willi Guest

Default Detroit UAW 2 Tier Wage System

UAW wages continue to decline via 2 Tier wage system and 2015 negotiations with Big 3 probably won't change the profit margins.
    Car companies prefer to pay the bonuses,
    since they are directly linked to sales performance

Unions are on their way out, pendulum has swung the other way, people just want to work without the politics of union presence

Automotive manufacturing in Mexico skirts the entire issue and the Big 3 laugh at the UAW
    --- as do the other auto manufacturing corps.

Last edited by Willi; December-17-14 at 04:21 PM.

It always impressed me that the UAW workers were willing to sell their junior brothers for a few bucks. If the UAW wants success, it could start by having the senior members helping our new members. As it is, its more like a club run by the old members who keep you out, but if you'll stay in your place, they'll let you sit at a corner table.

I must say it's quite funny how a picture of the UAW building on Jefferson appeared at the top of the page when I entered this thread, lol.

This always seemed somehow discordant with the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th amendment to me — at least in the spirit if not the letter of the law.

Willi Guest

Mexico is a serious force, no longer a joke
    http://www.automotivemeetings.com/me...stry-in-mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    This always seemed somehow discordant with the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th amendment to me — at least in the spirit if not the letter of the law.
    Too bad the UAW isn't the government.

A city of Detroit high school needs to be revamped to send graduates to careers in the automotive industry, both blue collar and white collar jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I must say it's quite funny how a picture of the UAW building on Jefferson appeared at the top of the page when I entered this thread, lol.
    i had a picture of the neon sign from Fishbones...

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    UAW wages continue to decline via 2 Tier wage system and 2015 negotiations with Big 3 probably won't change the profit margins.

Unions are on their way out, pendulum has swung the other way, people just want to work without the politics of union presence

Automotive manufacturing in Mexico skirts the entire issue and the Big 3 laugh at the UAW

Is this guy a troll?

Mexico is a serious force, no longer a joke
    http://www.automotivemeetings.com/me...stry-in-mexico
    Let those flag waving patriots who move jobs to Mexico be called what they are "Benedict Arnolds in suits".

Give them little Mexican flag lapel pins. Pls. don't wear American flag lapel pins.

As far as Detroit and other MI cities, they have virtually destroyed a number of medium to big size cities.

I see no reason to celebrate...

I would love to see a bar graph, same years, for membership in Local 600 [[UAW-Ford Rouge Plant in Dearborn).

Then come up with a bar graph of say Detroit's population or some other social indicator of well being [[e.g., unemployment rate for Detroit).

I believe that the conclusion would be obvious: As automobile manufacturing jobs declined the well being of Detroit declined [[sharply).

I see nothing to cheer here.

The UAW is going about it the wrong way. The only reason the non-union manufacturers pay anything close to the Big 3 wages is that they are terrified of the UAW. If I was the UAW, I'd take out full page ads that say they have no intention of organizing Toyota, Kia, & etc. After a couple of years of the workers getting screwed by their management since there is no longer a UAW organizing threat, the workers will be beating down the UAW's doors.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Let those flag waving patriots who move jobs to Mezxico be called what they are "Benedict Arnolds in suits"...snip...
    "Citizens of the World", why is it a bad thing to provide jobs to Mexican workers. Do they not deserve dignified work? Are we not being egocentric and/or perhaps even racist by keeping our wealth to ourselves and not helping others? Surely the Mexicans see us all as the 1% here. This populist nationalism doesn't sit well with me.

Willi Guest

Name:  Screenshot_2014-12-18-13-11-07~2.jpg
Views: 1327
Size:  16.3 KB

Every UAW member should know this word.
    The CEO's of the Big 3 know it very well
    as it spells profits for the shareholders.
    It is purely business and nothing else matters.

See post # 5 , click on the link, gain perspective

Last edited by Willi; December-18-14 at 01:26 PM.

Nothing surprising. Here is what Firestone did to keep the profits coming in. While not a car company, tires are essential.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...d-the-warlord/

Willi Guest

New UAW president attempting propaganda initiative in a loosing battle on labor costs. They priced themselves out of existence

Name:  Screenshot_2014-12-18-13-11-07~2.jpg
Views: 1327
Size:  16.3 KB

Every UAW member should know this word.
    The CEO's of the Big 3 know it very well
    as it spells profits for the shareholders.
    It is purely business and nothing else matters.

See post # 5 , click on the link, gain perspective
    Not to repeat myself, but don't Mexican workers deserve jobs too? The Mexican economy has been doing very well, lifting hundreds of thousands out of poverty. Let's not stop this progress in improving the lives of millions because we want to protect our wages. Are progressives really ready to sell out their souls to unions just for votes? Or does helping the world not matter -- its only all about us?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Not to repeat myself, but don't Mexican workers deserve jobs too? The Mexican economy has been doing very well, lifting hundreds of thousands out of poverty. Let's not stop this progress in improving the lives of millions because we want to protect our wages. Are progressives really ready to sell out their souls to unions just for votes? Or does helping the world not matter -- its only all about us?
    I'm all about humanitarian causes, but why should we bring ourselves down to help the rest of the world? Aside from the top 1% of Americans, most of us are only one paycheck away from abject poverty ourselves...

Willi Guest

Taxpayers bailed out Auto Corporations willingly and they have no one to blame but themselves.
    There were ZERO protests in the streets

I'm all about humanitarian causes, but why should we bring ourselves down to help the rest of the world? Aside from the top 1% of Americans, most of us are only one paycheck away from abject poverty ourselves...
    Exactly. Did I miss the memo where the U.S. had a surplus of unwanted manufacturing jobs?!?

Willi Guest

The jobs are only "wanted" if they pay the $20/hr of yesteryear, with a 60 hour work week, guaranteed by the union for the next 5 years.

Pendulum returned to reality with pay equal to an imbicile putting a brake drum on a hook for 8 hours a day. No skills = no pay today
    Last edited by Willi; December-18-14 at 04:59 PM.

So you only want to help when it doesn't hurt?

I don't understand the mentality that our pay and benefits are more important than helping those in need. I thought I was the tea-party representative here, and instead I'm to the left of Move On?

Always amazed me that liberals cease to be liberal when it actually involves taking a dime out of their pockets. We are OK with granting illegal immigrants drivers licenses and medical benefits, but not OK with them getting jobs with extraordinary pay? Woe be to us. Merry Chrismas Mexicans -- Scrooge McUAW.

It always impressed me that the UAW workers were willing to sell their junior brothers for a few bucks. If the UAW wants success, it could start by having the senior members helping our new members. As it is, its more like a club run by the old members who keep you out, but if you'll stay in your place, they'll let you sit at a corner table.
    Sorry, I don't agree. We, [[the senior members), gave up many concessions so that plants would stay open here and the small cars we produce would be made in the U.S.A. We also lost a good attendance program, COLA benefits for around nine years, combined skilled trades, and the alterative work schedule.

The last contact in 2011, we were profitable and the second tier workers had job when many did not, thanks to the concessions we made. They received a bump to around $19/hr. and we received nothing.

So yes, we are definitely looking for payback or a least some financial recognition for our effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrenite84 View Post
    Sorry, I don't agree. We, [[the senior members), gave up many concessions so that plants would stay open here and the small cars we produce would be made in the U.S.A. We also lost a good attendance program, COLA benefits for around nine years, combined skilled trades, and the alterative work schedule.

The last contact in 2011, we were profitable and the second tier workers had job when many did not, thanks to the concessions we made. They received a bump to around $19/hr. and we received nothing.

So yes, we are definitely looking for payback or a least some financial recognition for our effort.
    You received nothing? You have a job made possible by the sacrifice of others doing similar work. You got a lot.

So you only want to help when it doesn't hurt?

I don't understand the mentality that our pay and benefits are more important than helping those in need. I thought I was the tea-party representative here, and instead I'm to the left of Move On?

Always amazed me that liberals cease to be liberal when it actually involves taking a dime out of their pockets. We are OK with granting illegal immigrants drivers licenses and medical benefits, but not OK with them getting jobs with extraordinary pay? Woe be to us. Merry Chrismas Mexicans -- Scrooge McUAW.
    You're a troll. Just face facts. Only your dumb ass can't see how US companies take advantage of Mexicans and give them $1 hour. Now shut up and get on your knees and open your mouth to the old white guys. You're good at doing that.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast