Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bye Bye Compuware.

The corporate raiders have done their job. The growing parts of Compuware have been stripped out and are going to Boston. the Crappy dying part of the business is left in Detroit.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...nies/20479511/

My impression of Compuware was tarnished ever since I interviewed there and had the interviewer walk me out, shake my hand and tell me that I was the right person for the job and that he'd definitely be back with me within 24 hours...and I never heard from him again. I get that they have to be positive and that HR can't call every candidate back, but that was a total dick move and I've been indifferent at best to Compuware since.

Even so, it's too bad that they couldn't keep the 'growing' portions of the company here, as well, but it seems that was probably never an option considered to those who are now in charge.

This isn't really anything new. Pretty much all of Compuware has already been spun off into new companies: Lochbridge, Covisint, Dynatrace, and current Compuware. Most of the work and employees are still in Detroit or the Detroit area. Dynatrace is HQ'ed in Boston, but I haven't heard anything about pulling the employees out there yet. Has anyone heard otherwise?

I case you all have noticed, Compuware is DEAD! Dan Gilbert stump it out, Lochbridge and Covisint kick it out and Dynatrace took it some place else. Well it least Peter Karmanos took his company to Downtown now Gilberttown Detroit back in the mid 1990s while other companies are still hanging loose in the suburbs.

If I ran the new Compuware, I think I'd be redirecting my business towards "application performance management."

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I case you all have noticed, Compuware is DEAD! Dan Gilbert stump it out, Lochbridge and Covisint kick it out and Dynatrace took it some place else. Well it least Peter Karmanos took his company to Downtown now Gilberttown Detroit back in the mid 1990s while other companies are still hanging loose in the suburbs.
    I'm not quite sure what Gilbert has to do with any of it... Karmanos helped to influence, and enable Gilbert's move downtown. But I don't think Gilbert did much other than pay a large lease, and eventually bought the building.

However, I certainly agree that Compuware is nearing death, and is certainly on life support.

MAcc Guest

A thousand[[?) high paying tech jobs fleeing the region, and this is more or less hidden by the Detroit media. Yet they'll give a bar opening where 50 people make minimum wage front page hype for two weeks.
    Last edited by MAcc; December-17-14 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAcc View Post
    A thousand[[?) high paying tech jobs fleeing the region, and this is more or less hidden by the Detroit media. Yet they'll give a bar opening where 50 people make minimum wage front page hype for two weeks.
    What suggests to you that a thousand jobs are leaving the region? The biggest loss that I know of has been downsizing [[a few hundred from Covisint and a couple hundred at Compuware), but very few jobs are moving to another area, from what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by MAcc View Post
    Obviously a new frat boy bar in Midtown is far more important than thousands of highly paid tech jobs. Priorities, people!

Our impartial and highly respected local media could never be accused of even slightly exaggerating the development scene in Detroit. I can't even imagine why someone would think such a thing!
    Last edited by Bham1982; December-17-14 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Obviously a new frat boy bar in Midtown is far more important than thousands of highly paid tech jobs. Priorities, people!

Our impartial and highly respected local media could never be accused of even slightly exaggerating the development scene in Detroit. I can't even imagine why someone would think such a thing!
    Compuware's demise has been reported on for at least 3 years. How many articles need to be written about it?

Why do you care? If anything positive is published here, you call it a "rah-rah piece". You only seem interested in negativity that seems to fit your modus operandi for posting here....

In fact, I can't remember you ever publishing anything remotely positive... why is that?

Fleeing the region? The sky is falling? Do some damned research, guys.

The company/division dynaTrace has always been headquartered in suburban Boston [[Waltham, MA). It was acquired by Compuware in July of 2011:

http://investor.compuware.com/releas...leaseID=589264

The article may have been misleading when it stated:

Dynatrace will be headquartered in Boston but keep about 300 employees in Detroit.
    In fact, I think the article was a bit sensational [[trying to pair winning and losing fortunes with Boston and Detroit, respectively). To me, this indicates no substantial and/or immediate change. Detroit will remain a branch office with 300 employees.

Yes, the "dying" mainframe business remains headquartered in Detroit. Of course it'd be great if they relocated the "growing" business to Detroit, but only if it makes business sense.

I have no inside knowledge, but this is just what I gather as an outsider that did a few minutes of actual research...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Why do you care? If anything positive is published here, you call it a "rah-rah piece". You only seem interested in negativity that seems to fit your modus operandi for posting here....

In fact, I can't remember you ever publishing anything remotely positive... why is that?
    I post lots of positive stuff, but you don't want to hear it. You think anything positive not in Detroit city limits = negative news, and you buy the Freep/Detnews "boomtown" propaganda.

If you don't want to hear reality, you're free to ignore reality.

I post lots of positive stuff, but you don't want to hear it. You think anything positive not in Detroit city limits = negative news, and you buy the Freep/Detnews "boomtown" propaganda.

If you don't want to hear reality, you're free to ignore reality.

I too live in the burbs... and yes there are a lot of problems in the city. But others on this forum have noticed that the only positive stuff you generally post is about Oakland County... you tend to overlook the positive stuff in Detroit... and when there is positive stuff... like the state takeover of Belle Isle... you go negative on it... such as you saying you would never spend the $11 for a pass to visit.

When it comes to Detroit... for you the glass always seems to be half empty... and with an almost "I told you so" sort of smugness, you go to great pains on this forum to say that.

Once again a city that's favored by the top one percent of income earners takes home the prize while a middle-American city loses its' shirt.