Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Tiger Stadium site gets a developer, field to be kept

"The City of Detroit is to announce Tuesday that it has selected Larson Realty Group to redevelop the Tiger Stadium site, choosing a proposal that will not only preserve the historic playing field, but add residential and commercial space.

Two local developers, Roxbury Group of Detroit, and the Larson Realty Group of Bloomfield Hills, responded to the city's March request for proposals with plans for a mixed-use development including retail and residential space, but multiple sources told the Free Press that Larson had been selected.

Larson's plan calls for smaller retail along Michigan Avenue, as well as a mix of for-rent and for-sale housing."

http://www.freep.com/story/money/business/michigan/2014/12/15/tiger-stadium-development-deal/20466685/

I like it, it might be the best looking infill project proposed in the city to date.

Hey Nolan Finley – did you catch this?

“Community meetings will be held regularly as the project progresses, and updates on the project”

“Detroit PAL is thrilled at the opportunity to redevelop the original Tiger Stadium field to achieve our mission of building character in the more than 12,000 young people that we currently serve and the thousands more we will be able to serve through this project," Tim Richey, CEO of Detroit PAL”

“The DEGC is stressing a community involvement aspect to the project, so much so that the developers are apparently even going to use a crowd-funding program for city residents, allowing them to become investors in the development.”

LOL. Suuuure, that'll get built. Right after they finish building this:

Last edited by artds; December-16-14 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by innercitydoc View Post
    "The City of Detroit is to announce Tuesday that it has selected Larson Realty Group to redevelop the Tiger Stadium site, choosing a proposal that will not only preserve the historic playing field, but add residential and commercial space.

Two local developers, Roxbury Group of Detroit, and the Larson Realty Group of Bloomfield Hills, responded to the city's March request for proposals with plans for a mixed-use development including retail and residential space, but multiple sources told the Free Press that Larson had been selected.

Larson's plan calls for smaller retail along Michigan Avenue, as well as a mix of for-rent and for-sale housing."

http://www.freep.com/story/money/business/michigan/2014/12/15/tiger-stadium-development-deal/20466685/
    Great news for two reasons:
    1. If this comes to fruition it will save the field and make that area much nicer
    2. If this comes to fruition, the people that fled the city years ago but still bitch about saving TS as their birth right will finally STFU.

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post

Right – the same was said about the Broderick Tower, David Whitney Building, Cobo renovation, M1, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    Yeah because that project didn't happen mean this one won't. Brilliant logic

Does anyone know the time frame for this project? When will PAL break ground, or do they still have a great deal of fundraising to do?

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    Does anyone know the time frame for this project? When will PAL break ground, or do they still have a great deal of fundraising to do?
    Financing and fundraising has to be completed by the end of 2015. Construction will start in 2016 [[or earlier if financing is secured more quickly). By 2017, everything should be complete and ready for residents and businesses, which by the way 20% and 60% respectively will be subsidized.

I don't care what they put up, if they finally fix the pavement and bricks at the intersection and adjacent area. Rough roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    I don't care what they put up, if they finally fix the pavement and bricks at the intersection and adjacent area. Rough roads.
    I agree, as some will suggest it be paved over with asphalt. I suggested they just level the ground underneath the bricks, replace and repaved with new bricks. Keep it historic, I kind of like it.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    I agree, as some will suggest it be paved over with asphalt. I suggested they just level the ground underneath the bricks, replace and repaved with new bricks. Keep it historic, I kind of like it.
    I wish they did that with Woodward after installing the M-1 rail south of Grand Circus.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    !!! How expensive would it be to repave with bricks?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I'm not sure?

More cool pics here:

http://detroitpal.org/news-article/t...e-green-light/

Always a great charity to think of around Christmas that does exellant work with Detroit youth.

this project needs to get fast-tracked, with contractual commitments to hire urban Detroit residents.

Really, really expensive. The only way this is going to happen is if some "Road in front of Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy" emerges.

HB

this project needs to get fast-tracked, with contractual commitments to hire urban Detroit residents.
    You can't have both right now. Either you have the commitment to hire Detroit residents or you get a fast tracked construction. Detroit simply lacks the qualified workers for the jobs and training takes a while.

Nonetheless, this project does have a commitment to have 51% of the workers and 30% of the subcontractors from Detroit.

Honestly I could care less if Michigan ave is bricks or pavement. It just needs to be redone one way or another.

I like the design; filling up Corktown's Business District will mega lofts and supercondos and exotic retail filled with Starbucks and vintage stores with a bit of Gilberttownesque pop up stores while preserving the old Tiger Stadium field.

Detroit needs a real Little League Baseball Team like the one in Chicago and Philadelphia.