Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Academic question

I've always been curious.......the graduate is wearing a mortarboard on his head, but what do you call that thing that the Grand Fezzwick [[or whatever) on the left has on his head????

Ph.D and related level and above headgear I am certain. But I'm not recalling the specific name.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-16-14 at 01:09 AM.

It's a tam.

Good question. I've heard that referred to as a "tam" as in "Tam O'Shanter."

Found this: Origins of Academic Regalia.

But the big question is why on earth would anyone want to know? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

But the big question is why on earth would anyone want to know? LOL!
    Well, my wife asked me when viewing the photo. I didn't know. I HATE it when she asks me a question I don't know the answer to. So I had to find out. LOL is right!

Ha! Funny how that search careened me toward Clowns of the World where I learned that Uncle Sam actually started as a clown!

I've also read that Uncle Sam was actually associated with Samuel Wilson, a meat packer. I looked it up again and found in wikipedia and other sources, " Samuel Wilson, a meat packer from Troy, New York, who supplied rations for the soldiers. There was a requirement at the time for contractors to stamp onto the food they were sending, their name and where the rations came from. Wilson's packages were labeled “E.A – US.” When someone asked what that stood for, a coworker joked and said “Elbert Anderson [[the contractor) and Uncle Sam,” referring to Sam Wilson, though it actually stood for United States. True or not, and a bit off topic, not sure if this is true.