Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hudson's at Christmas

Revived Thread > Scroll down or jump to great vintage pictures added by CassTechGrad >>>

=====================
    If you were privileged enough to experience Hudson's Dept Store in the heyday of Christmas, share your stories.

LOVED those little crankin' elves in the outside window displays. Lines of people used to wrap around the building @ night just to see the Christmas decorations.

I was way too young to have remembered the heyday, but I do remember the crowds at the Hudson's at Southland Center in the 80's and 90's.

Here is an early 1960s Hudson's Christmas window display for LEGO...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oh yes mtburb, Hudson's in the 80s & 90s. I usually shopped at the Fairlane or Oakland Mall locations. Black Friday was always the best! Scads of awesome sales storewide, and as soon as the doors opened all the ladies scrambling to get from the entrances to the farthest reaching spot in the store to snag a Santa Bear!

Name:  Santa bear.jpg
Views: 3310
Size:  8.3 KB

This is the original and first from 1985.
    Last edited by jackie5275; December-13-14 at 08:45 PM.

My mom worked at the downtown location when she was younger. I was brought to see Santa there. You had to wait a longtime in a winding corridor that went into darker caves with odd, creepy statues, and I could hear the cries of children waiting for excruciatingly long times. The suspense was building, and folks [[like my dad with his hideous judgmental-"Santa won't find you worthy" crud) made it up to be like I was on the threshold of meeting God, and all I wanted to ask for was a Star Wars Imperial troop transport. When we finally entered the room to see Santa, I busted out screaming in terror for the next two hours....
    Seems the Santa who appeared at the North Rosedale Park Christmas Pancake Breakfasts was a lot more approachable.
    The Northland Hudson's was always lavish, as soon as you entered the outside doors. You passed fine bedding displays and obelisk clocks and such. They had a fine electronics department [[with Atari 2600 games) and music department playing Talking Heads or Midnight Oil or Dio or something. A great tract-lit bookstore with Garfield and such. Even a goofy novelty section with banana pens and Spitting Image Reagan puppetheads. I just remember it all with a black marble and dark, rich decor. Even the cookware display area was lit-up and homey. The dining area above was always worth checking out. Christmas displays were a winding section of amazement.

Growing up in Detroit in the 50’s & 60’s was wonderful. Hudson’s during the 50's & 60's especially at Christmas was magical. It all started at the Thanksgiving Day parade when Santa Claus pulled up in front of Hudson’s in his sled and waved to the crowd you knew you would soon be sitting on his lap and having your picture taken. We knew nothing about Eastland or Northland. All you knew was the downtown Hudson’s and the Hudson’s Santa Claus. As far as we were concerned that was the only one.

i only remember coming down to detroit to Hudsons once or twice ever...

once was before Christmas and i got to go shopping with the girls who worked in the "kids only" area. i got my dad a shoe shining kit [[brush, rag, polish in a leather case) that i begged him to let me use saturday nights before church in the morning. he still has it. i dont remember what i got my mom...

the other time i dont remember ANYTHING about going there. except we went sometime in the mid-70s...

On Thanksgiving Day the season would begin when you saw Santa get off the sleigh at the top of his float, open the magic door on the second floor of Hudsons and go inside. You knew that from now until Christmas Eve he would be holding court and talking to children inside the store.

Then, a week or so later, would come the great day. Down to Hudsons you'd go. After a cold walk around the outside to look at the window displays, and a stroll through the lavishly decorated first floor [[with a quick visit to my grandma, who worked in the Aisles of Beauty), it was off to the 12th floor and Santa!

You'd be standing in this big long line, uncomfortable in your hard shoes, but excited at what was to come. The line would snake past the oh-so-irresistible toy department, and through Santa's village and the display of all the activity there. Eventually you'd get there, sitting on Santa's lap, while pictures were snapped of you. And although kind of frightened you'd try to mumble out to Santa that you wanted a bike and those slot cars.

Then it was over. The excitement slowly dissipated. And it was time to meet grandma for lunch in the restaurant, where you'd have the kid's hot dog plate [[while mom and grandma had Maurice salads). And, if you hadn't been too fussy or mouthy, maybe a clown sundae!

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    On Thanksgiving Day the season would begin when you saw Santa get off the sleigh at the top of his float, open the magic door on the second floor of Hudsons and go inside. You knew that from now until Christmas Eve he would be holding court and talking to children inside the store.

Then, a week or so later, would come the great day. Down to Hudsons you'd go. After a cold walk around the outside to look at the window displays, and a stroll through the lavishly decorated first floor [[with a quick visit to my grandma, who worked in the Aisles of Beauty), it was off to the 12th floor and Santa!

You'd be standing in this big long line, uncomfortable in your hard shoes, but excited at what was to come. The line would snake past the oh-so-irresistible toy department, and through Santa's village and the display of all the activity there. Eventually you'd get there, sitting on Santa's lap, while pictures were snapped of you. And although kind of frightened you'd try to mumble out to Santa that you wanted a bike and those slot cars.

Then it was over. The excitement slowly dissipated. And it was time to meet grandma for lunch in the restaurant, where you'd have the kid's hot dog plate [[while mom and grandma had Maurice salads). And, if you hadn't been too fussy or mouthy, maybe a clown sundae!
    Nice work.

I had a relative who worked in the executive offices on the upper floors, who took me there when I was young. I remember a floor with green tile, possibly an infirmary of some sort? I was young so I could be mistaken.

The History of Hudson's.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op-KKEzh-0w

My folks were also secretly amused that the Santa in the Thanksgiving parade was usually played by their old friend Rube Weiss [[who played Shoutin' Shorty Hogan on Soupy Sales' show, in addition to many other local radio and TV roles over the years).

Around age 12 the Christmas toy display in the 12th-floor auditorium was a major event, for the toy trains and slot cars. I remember the 12th floor wasn't finished as well as the lower floors, with bare wood floors. I can still smell the 12th-floor hot-dog stand.

I have few memories of Hudson's Santa, except for the automated displays that entertained those in line. But I was awed by the inventiveness when my dad told me [[he was a Hudson's supervisor) that there were usually three Santas, in separate identical rooms, to speed the traffic.

I worked in the lingerie and toiletries department at different times for Christmas between '62-'63. We had a strict dress code female employees [[only dark, solid colors-dressy shoes and sore feet). Customer purchase tender had to go through a vacuum tube. It's a good thing that I'm not claustrophobic, because the elevators were always packed with people.
    Every floor was like a fantasy land during Christmas for a young gal in her early '20s. I seem to remember carolers around the dining area [[but the real treat was slipping off to Lafayette Coney Island for lunch). I especially miss the hot waffle ice cream sandwiches in the Kresge's basement cafeteria. Yum!

Captain Jolly at downtown Hudsons.
    http://www.detroitkidshow.com/captai..._christmas.htm

These stories remind me of Lazarus in downtown Columbus Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfd View Post
    These stories remind me of Lazarus in downtown Columbus Ohio.
    Is that where he went to after he fled the garden leaving his simple burial linen?

I thought I would revive this thread. Lots of enjoyable pictures and stories.

I, too, remember Santa At Hudson's. I didn't sit on his lap because I had ceased believing by then.
    It was the glory of the store decorations that impressed me most.
    When the Hudson's site is developed, and if that includes apartments, I would love to see each floor named after what is used to contain: for example First floor " Cosmetics and Accessories" and 12th Floor "Toys".

Quote Originally Posted by smallferret View Post
    I, too, remember Santa At Hudson's. I didn't sit on his lap because I had ceased believing by then.
    It was the glory of the store decorations that impressed me most.
    When the Hudson's site is developed, and if that includes apartments, I would love to see each floor named after what is used to contain: for example First floor " Cosmetics and Accessories" and 12th Floor "Toys".
    Cool idea bud..

P.S. Video Gistok posted is pretty sweet, I'm amazed every time I hear the 700+ fitting rooms figure.
    Last edited by Dbest; December-09-15 at 10:07 AM.

What about Crowley's or Kern's at Christmas? I always feel they get the short end of the stick because they weren't as large as Hudson's. Kern's though didn't even see the 1960s.

Anyone have memories about those places at Christmas?

Default Better than Disney Land

Going to Hudson’s during Christmas as a child during the 1950’s and 60’s was more fun than going to Disney Land, and it was FREE. And after enough of that, our family would go to the Ford Rotunda to enjoy their Christmas display. Fantastic!

Name:  hudsons.jpg
Views: 4726
Size:  70.9 KB

Name:  hudsons-2.jpg
Views: 4471
Size:  151.2 KB

Name:  hudsons-3.jpg
Views: 3824
Size:  93.7 KB

Name:  hudsons ford retunda.jpg
Views: 2735
Size:  93.4 KB
    Last edited by CassTechGrad; December-09-15 at 12:09 PM.

The 12th floor was not "Toys" in the eyes of this pre-teen. It was Lionel trains. The adjacent "toys" were just fluff in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Going to Hudson’s during Christmas as a child during the 1950’s and 60’s was more fun than going to Disney Land, and it was FREE. And after enough of that, our family would go to the Ford Rotunda to enjoy their Christmas display. Fantastic!

Name:  hudsons.jpg
Views: 4726
Size:  70.9 KB

Name:  hudsons-2.jpg
Views: 4471
Size:  151.2 KB

Name:  hudsons-3.jpg
Views: 3824
Size:  93.7 KB

Name:  hudsons ford retunda.jpg
Views: 2735
Size:  93.4 KB
    My parents took me to sit on Santa's lap at the Rotunda when I was [[guessing) 4 or 5. The next year it burnt down.I wondered how God could let a place like that burn down.Reality started setting in after that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast