Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DetroitBoy Guest

Default The Death of Bill Bonds

RIP
    A "colorful" character in Detroit's history.

I can see him now, after one too many, at some bar in the afterlife bellowing out for Coleman Young to meet him out in the alley. Such memorable color he possessed. A Detroit popular culture icon has passed.

----------------------------
    Added a couple of days later... I spotted this great Free Press archive picture out on Facebook today.

May God rest his soul.

I was never sure about his style. He didn't report the news at times. He WAS the news… and as a journalist, I'm not sure if that's the best way to deliver the news. I get that it was a simpler news day back then. One wasn't supposed to have opinions when delivering the news but if memory serves me correctly, WXYZ also gave their reporters a chance to have a personal commentary and he took to that pulpit often.

I'm sure Coleman Young busted out the boxing gloves awaiting Bill.

Bill's scene in Escape from the Planet of the Apes:

http://youtu.be/fFDh9-v7wiw

DetroitBoy Guest

My favorite Bill Bonds teaser for the 5pm news. He finally gets it right[[his way) the third time:

http://youtu.be/dWzyHkEPU0s

Bill was an excellent writer and a graduate of the University of Detroit with a degree in Journalism.

Interesting that the headlines in those days weren't too different than what they are today in Detroit!

I always thought he was super. Saddened at his loss, but hey, he made it well into his 80's.

He was a bit of an ass and a lush, but you know what? He wasn't afraid to report and speak out when all the other bobble-heads just nodded.

I remember being a new college grad working as a rookie revenue agent for the IRS. Our manager always like to tell the stories of Bill Bonds getting audited every year. [[Not that he or his accountants were doing anything wrong, it's just that some folks at certain income levels often get hit for an audit.) Most often his accountants and him could agree on all adjustments made by the IRS in his audits except the cost of his toupees. Bonds, of course, argued they were deductible as he needed them in his work. The IRS viewed them as a personal expense as they were not work clothes like a police or nurse uniform. This was an annual battle between the two parties. He never won, but argued it every year anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I remember being a new college grad working as a rookie revenue agent for the IRS. Our manager always like to tell the stories of Bill Bonds getting audited every year. [[Not that he or his accountants were doing anything wrong, it's just that some folks at certain income levels often get hit for an audit.) Most often his accountants and him could agree on all adjustments made by the IRS in his audits except the cost of his toupees. Bonds, of course, argued they were deductible as he needed them in his work. The IRS viewed them as a personal expense as they were not work clothes like a police or nurse uniform. This was an annual battle between the two parties. He never won, but argued it every year anyway.
    I worked with Ken Thomas for awhile. He told me this story about Bonds chatting up some much younger girls when a gust flipped his toupee and the girls started laughing. He said he had never seen him more flustered [[ok, that's a nice word for it).

DetroitBoy Guest

Here's a pic from the Motor City archives.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3146
Size:  22.7 KB

Default Bill Bonds Passed Away!

This is truly a sad day for Detroit television. Former WXYZ Channel 7 Action News Anchorman Bill Bonds Passed away from a heart attack in his home in Southfield, MI. This would bring tears to my eyes. I grew up watching Bill Bonds doing his reporting in the evening news. Sadly Detroit will miss him so.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/bill-bonds-...orman-has-died

He was unique. Perennial winner of the "Best Blow Dried Hair On A Newscaster" award. No disrespect intended. RIP

Grew up with my family watching him, as well. Bill Bonds was always saddled with the delivery of the more gravitous news reports. When I see Youtube clips of him making comments on John Lennon's death [["Bossguitars" posted that one) or how he defended Detroit when hideous shows like Primetime Live made Detroit an easy target [[which was an abominous trend I found in much of the media from the late '80s on) to smear on a segment called "Detroit is Burning" [["My American Nostalgia" posted this 50 minute piece a year ago-I higher recommend watching it! The back-and-forth of points and ideologies from the various speakers reflects a lot of what I still see on the forum sites here.), I find myself with more respect for the man. I hope a few folks tip back a salutary Crown Royal & Butterscotch Schnapps cocktail in his honor. R.I.P. Bill.

Here's a copy & paste of my own from a similar thread:
    Grew up with my family watching him, as well. Bill Bonds was always saddled with the delivery of the more gravitous news reports. When I see Youtube clips of him making comments on John Lennon's death [["Bossguitars" posted that one) or how he defended Detroit when hideous shows like Primetime Live made Detroit an easy target [[which was an abominous trend I found in much of the media from the late '80s on) to smear on a segment called "Detroit is Burning" [["My American Nostalgia" posted this 50 minute piece a year ago-I higher recommend watching it! The back-and-forth of points and ideologies from the various speakers reflects a lot of what I still see on the forum sites here.), I find myself with more respect for the man. I hope a few folks tip back a salutary Crown Royal & Butterscotch Schnapps cocktail in his honor. R.I.P. Bill.

I just saw the Diana Lewis snippet where she paid tribute to Bill Bonds. For all the sh!t that he gave her, she genuinely seemed to adore the guy too. Touching commentary.

R.I.P. Billy. A lot of cliches can be thrown around but are true. They broke the mold and you will not see another one like him. Strange thing tonight though. A lot of news people on the air this evening discussing Bill Bonds. Nothing from John Kelly and Marilyn Turner. Wait and see I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by fanniemae View Post
    R.I.P. Billy. A lot of cliches can be thrown around but are true. They broke the mold and you will not see another one like him. Strange thing tonight though. A lot of news people on the air this evening discussing Bill Bonds. Nothing from John Kelly and Marilyn Turner. Wait and see I guess.
    I know they worked together but were they ever that cozy with him?

And just out of idle curiosity- whatever happened to Al Ackerman? He was borne of the same crusty hard nosed mold as Bill Bonds but for the sports crowd. Is he still with us?

Many years ago, Channel 9 hired a young journalist from the Maritimes to anchor the 6-to7 PM newscast. Her name was Carol McNeil and after leaving Windsor she moved to Toronto where she became an anchor for the CBC national network. Shortly after arriving in Windsor, the Star sat down with her and asked her why she chose Windsor. Her reply: she had grown up watching Bill Bonds, on Channel 7 Action News, which was carried on the local cable network. God knows how many aspiring newscasters across the United States and Canada were inspired to do the same after watching Detroit television newscasts carried on local cable tv.

yesterday, they showed a clip of an interview of bill and he said he grew up on 12th street. where was/is that street?

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    yesterday, they showed a clip of an interview of bill and he said he grew up on 12th street. where was/is that street?
    12th Street is now Rosa Parks Blvd

DetroitBoy Guest

I wish I could find out more about Bill's background and his childhood. I know he had a brother who was in a terrible accident and had to be removed from life support when he was a young man. I saw the clip where they said he grew up on 12th street also. Bill came to prominence reporting the 1967 riots. That must have been very bizarre for him if that was near where he grew up. I know he went to U of D but not much else.

From the Free Press: [[has some info. on his background)

http://www.freep.com/story/news/obit...ster/20375881/

The 1940 US Census indicates that in 1940 as well as 1935, William D. Bonds lived with his parents Richard and Catherine Bonds at 1545 Burlingame Street, just east of 12th St. [[Rosa Parks).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast