Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MAcc Guest

Default Home invasions in Oakland County vs. Detroit proper

This home invasion call would have been ignored by DPD. In Oakland County, "police departments in Birmingham, Troy, Bloomfield Hills, Franklin, Royal Oak and Berkley were involved in tracking down the suspects." Doesn't this story embody everything right with the suburbs and what Detroit needs to fix before most people are willing to give it a chance?

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...sted/20320023/

Willi Guest

A tax base that pays its taxes and utility bills ?

Pony up the payments and Detroit can have some icing on its cake as well. A majority of what is "collected" goes towards safety in the suburbs in the form of police, fire, ems, ambulance.

http://www.munetrix.com/sections/cha...on&FundCode=-1

http://archive.detroitnews.com/artic...RO01/302210375
    Last edited by Willi; December-13-14 at 12:52 PM.

If the guy hadn't walked in on the robbery, it would've been missed until the thieves were long gone. And depending on workload DPD may have responded. I don't recall hearing a policy of not responding to home invasions in progress.

With as many vacant homes as there are in Detroit, cuts in police staffing, lack of available money and government corruption wasting what little there is, it's not an apples to apples comparison. Crime and insufficient policing are the ONLY things that kept me from buying in the city when I was looking. But not everything is right about the suburbs especially to the north.

Detroit has the tools to build a good police department now. Orr & Snyder have built a foundation for progress. Now, Detroit's voters and elected officials have to show that they want good policing.

Or they can spend their time pouring over statistics that prove that the cops are racist and that a disproportionate number of blacks are being stopped on the freeways or some other distraction.

If you want a safe city, this is our chance. We just have to want it more than we want to spend time sweating how many jobs are reserved for Detroiters on the new arena instead.

Yeah Wesley. Everyone is still bailing out of Detroit yet Snyder built a foundation. The only thing he did was slash everyone's retirement and cut everyone's benefits. You think magically he gave them all this new money to hire thousands of police. My god you just open your mouth and swallow everything that you read.

Willi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Yeah Wesley. Everyone is still bailing out of Detroit yet Snyder built a foundation. The only thing he did was slash everyone's retirement and cut everyone's benefits. You think magically he gave them all this new money to hire thousands of police. My god you just open your mouth and swallow everything that you read.
    Cliffy, the bankruptcy was a reorganization of Detroit's finances, not just a cut/slash -- although it was that too where it had to be.

The result of Snyder's efforts in Detroit is a city that has balanced books, and has enough capacity TODAY to run like a real city. Money is no longer the problem. Now its political.

So we can argue about whether cuts were necessary or whether the problem was created by Wall Street fat cats as President Warren believes, but while we debate, the truth on the ground is that Detroit's reorganization is done and we have a working city.

So we can fight yesterday's battles, or we can spend energy building a new city. I prefer the latter.

[[And exactly who is still 'bailing out' Detroit today?)
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; December-13-14 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAcc View Post
    This home invasion call would have been ignored by DPD. In Oakland County, "police departments in Birmingham, Troy, Bloomfield Hills, Franklin, Royal Oak and Berkley were involved in tracking down the suspects." Doesn't this story embody everything right with the suburbs and what Detroit needs to fix before most people are willing to give it a chance?

Not really. Now people are going to be upset that a home invasion occurred in Beverly Hills.

Willi Guest

Who bailed out Detroit - some bank investors and
    - The Tax Payers of Michigan

Snyder did not have a golden goose.....

The Taxpayers of Michigan have had to pony up over $515 Million in subsidies for Ford Field, Comerica Park and the New Red Wings Arena not to mention the Pontiac Silverdome which was built and maintained with a taxpayer subsidy buried in an Agriculture Bill.

A couple million here, a couple million there, hey after a while the taxpayer money becomes REAL and substantial to those paying attention

The state has financial oversight
    - 10 million taxpayers represented by Snyder
    Last edited by Willi; December-13-14 at 02:46 PM.

Does anyone else find the use of home invasion in this story annoying? Home invasion is such a loose term and consequently gets over-dramatized to create a sensational headline in this case. It sounds like the Marines have landed. It is unfortunately used in Michigan Law. This was second degree home invasion. In other words a routine burglary in progress that the home owner discovered upon returning home. And it was not robbery.

Robbery is defined by the law as taking or trying to take something from someone that has value by utilizing intimidation, force or threat. In order for robbery to take place, a victim must be present at the scene and can occur with a single victim or, in cases like bank hold ups, multiple victims.
    Burglary is defined by the law as the unlawful entry to a structure to commit theft or a felony. In order for burglary to take place, a victim does not have to be present.
    I think most peoples' perception of home invasion is closer to this definition - like Alex and his droogies in Clockwork Orange.
    IHome invasion is an illegal and usually forceful entry to an occupied, private dwelling with violent intent to commit a crime against the occupants, such as robbery, assault, rape, murder, or kidnapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Does anyone else find the use of home invasion in this story annoying? Home invasion is such a loose term and consequently gets over-dramatized to create a sensational headline in this case. It sounds like the Marines have landed. It is unfortunately used in Michigan Law. This was second degree home invasion. In other words a routine burglary in progress that the home owner discovered upon returning home. And it was not robbery.

I think most peoples' perception of home invasion is closer to this definition - like Alex and his droogies in Clockwork Orange.
    http://www.kctv5.com/story/22725433/...r-over-3-hours

like this one.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wichita_Massacre

or this one.
    Last edited by Gpwrangler; December-13-14 at 11:29 PM.

T Doesn't this story embody everything right with the suburbs and what Detroit needs to fix before most people are willing to give it a chance
    This isn't DPD's fault, though. It likely has almost nothing to do with police procedures and is entirely a numbers game.

In most suburban neighborhoods there are no home invasions, or the last one was many years or decades ago. In Detroit, it's rare to find a longtime homeowner who hasn't been the victim of a home invasion.

So if you're dealing with [[say) 15x the per capita incidents, with a cash strapped, staff-limited force, you just aren't going to be able to respond in the same manner. It's triage in effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    What sick --cks....

Totally disagree, and I'm getting a little tired of the underpaid, understaffed, overworked tales. More police have been put on the streets, they've been given a pay increase and some new equipment. My recent experience with the new regime tells me they're either incompetent, or plain don't care.

MAcc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Totally disagree, and I'm getting a little tired of the underpaid, understaffed, overworked tales. More police have been put on the streets, they've been given a pay increase and some new equipment. My recent experience with the new regime tells me they're either incompetent, or plain don't care.
    This echoes my experience as well.

Probably a little bit of both...

Could possibly be both?

Willi Guest

Question of a proactive army
    or a reactionary operation of a few ?

Can't intervene if not on the scene

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    Question of a proactive army
    or a reactionary operation of a few ?

Can't intervene if not on the scene
    Listen. Billy Pilgrim has become unstuck in time.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Listen. Billy Pilgrim has become unstuck in time.
    10 characters

MAcc Guest

Ann Arbor-area detectives helped nab armed home invasion suspects in Texas

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2014/12/ann_arbor_area_police_departme.html

When's the last time DPD made a home invasion arrest ... let alone an out of state arrest?

Does anyone else find the use of home invasion in this story annoying? ...
    Absolutely. The media and advocates love dramatic Headlines. I hope over time the public realizes they are being played, and adjust. Kinda like how the voters realize Matty Maroun's ads are best ignored.

But Lowell, its an epidemic. For example, 'killings' is the usual tagline for the lawful police use of force resulting in death in the cases. Maybe you don't agree, but I think you see the point on the language used. The LA Times could use 'death'... which would be at least neutral. Obama lies. Bush lied. Simple lines that drive reader to a conclusion that fits with their pre-determine image. And in Detroit, there are those who expect to find that Alex and his droogies are on the prowl.

He who controls the media controls the message.

This thread is funny. It's all like, "I WOULD move into Detroit if the police were better, but, like, too bad your police suck, because I'll be paying my taxes to the city where the police work. Like, get your act together, Detroit, if you ever hope to be a success like us."

Why so funny?

First, I'm willing to bet my modest fortunes that you are never, ever going to move to Detroit anyway. Dangling provisos like that before Detroit is silly. You are in the suburbs because you like them and belong there and that's fine. Knock it off and be realistic.

Second: Detroit doesn't need to attract you as a resident. It needs to attract people who value cities in the first place, and they come from all over the world and may set down here, but they notice that it's such a divided region where the city is beset by redlining, a concentration of social ills, lots of low-income people, crime, and more, and that pretty much everybody who's not in Detroit is comfortable to keep those problems away from them, in the city. So they look at the region and say, "Why would I choose a big city where the whole region uses it as their toilet? Why not go to Berlin or New York or San Francisco or San Jose where the region understands that a city is an economic driver?" So, yeah, that's pretty funny.

Finally: Speaking nationally and globally, nobody chooses to move to a place anymore based on police or fire coverage. They might choose NOT to move there based on LACK of those things, but nobody says, "Gosh, Emily, the police and fire coverage in Sterling Heights is AMAZING! We should pack up the fam and move the 560 miles THERE!" The truth is, a lot of suburbanites enjoy Detroit's shortcomings because it makes them feel better about the, frankly, totally uncosmopolitan place they live in. Bigger houses, wider roads, more powerful trucks! But no new museums. No exciting performance spaces. No edgy artists. No world-class opera. A real lack of history. A paucity of historic architecture. Whatever Detroit's shortcomings, most of suburban Detroit is regarded as lacking culture, a sort of checkerboard of malls, factories and aging subdivisions strung together with gas stations and power centers. And that's OK if you want to be a bedroom community for a city, but it's not going to draw any significant cohort of people to live there. So, yeah, that's kinda funny too.

Anyway, in Hamtramck, my police response time is about five minutes. Fire too. We ought to have such excellent response times. It eats up more than half the city's budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Second: Detroit doesn't need to attract you as a resident. It needs to attract people who value cities in the first place,
    Detroit will never succeed doing this. Detroit is about the least urban big city on the planet, and will never be a draw for those seeking a big city or urban-intense feel. It was always a city of some degree of homeowners, yards, and sprawl, and will never remotely be in the same urban universe as the Barcelonas of the world.

People will move to Detroit when the services are of acceptable quality. Until then, no.

People generally don't move to places for the arts and the like; even somewhere like Berlin is an economic basketcase compared to anywhere else in Germany despite being a raging success in terms of arts and youth culture. Berlin's household incomes are more like Mississippi than Connecticut. Boring towns like Stuttgart and Duesseldorf are the economic stalwarts in Germany.
    Last edited by Bham1982; December-16-14 at 11:43 AM.

Lowell, home invasion is a subset of all burglaries. Entering a store with intent to steal can be a burglary, not a home invasion. All home invasions are burglaries.

The enhanced sentence is applied because the crime impacted someone's home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast