Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Were there any criminal acts in Metro Detroit during the 1992 LA Rodney King Riots?

Do any of you know if there were any criminal acts that were executed anywhere in Metro Detroit during [[or just before or just after) the 1992 Rodney King riots in Los Angeles-including anything violent?

I seem to recall that there was a protest at the McNamara Building, that police cars were vandalized in Toledo and that students walked out in protest out of a high school in Muskegon. Was that it around here or was there anything worse?

That I can't recall. However, when the Malice Green hearings were underway, I saw a lot of hostile graffiti in my neighborhood popping up mentioning "Race War '94, if the murderers of Malice Green weren't brought to justice." After having been attacked on my own front porch and violently driven out of a park the year before, I admit I no longer felt safe in my little Northwest "hood". I actually felt safer living in the burned-out quasi-ghetto that was the Cass Corridor with all of the freaks at that time.

Just the normal level of criminal acts in the city which occur day in and day out, year in and year out..

Just found out a while ago that there was also an incident in which someone firebombed a mini-police station on the west side and spray-painted "Rodney" on one of the windows.

Do any of you remember that?

I remember someone spray painted the dairy queen on 6 mile across from UDM with something like "this is 4 you Rodney", never understood what they were trying to do 4 him. Other than that I can think of anything.

There were peaceful demonstrations in Ann Arbor on the U-M campus.

I also remember the front page of the News the day after the riots started-the headline was a giant "WAR," which caused some of us to think we were brought back to 1967.

What I remember most is that every time I wanted to know a historical fact I had to look it up, with different sources, and then to try and figure out what happened with an analytical mind. It sure must be easier to ask it on a public internet forum and educate yourself that way, but it's probably not that accurate.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; June-12-15 at 06:48 AM.