Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Hey I love downtown Detroit, and kind of disappointed that restoration is not going to reside here, but frankly, an outlet in Birmingham will do just fine, that’s an extremely wealthy area within 10 miles, many of the Somerset crowd of course is there needless to say and there is a ton of disposable income there. Actually , I was in the West Elm store in downtown Birmingham last week, pretty good selection of furnishings, price is kind of what you would expect, and good business, I don’t think market is an issue there at all. I do know for myself however , that one trip to downtown Birmingham every couple months is enough, just not my cup of tea for residence by any means, but to each their own, hopefully everybody just can live where they enjoy to . I think they will do just fine in Birmingham, but I would like to see more furniture retail or availability downtown, the market here is growing exponentially also, you would think someone would think to locate here soon, Everything takes time .

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Hey I love downtown Detroit, and kind of disappointed that restoration is not going to reside here, but frankly, an outlet in Birmingham will do just fine, that’s an extremely wealthy area within 10 miles, many of the Somerset crowd of course is there needless to say and there is a ton of disposable income there. Actually , I was in the West Elm store in downtown Birmingham last week, pretty good selection of furnishings, price is kind of what you would expect, and good business, I don’t think market is an issue there at all. I do know for myself however , that one trip to downtown Birmingham every couple months is enough, just not my cup of tea for residence by any means, but to each their own, hopefully everybody just can live where they enjoy to . I think they will do just fine in Birmingham, but I would like to see more furniture retail or availability downtown, the market here is growing exponentially also, you would think someone would think to locate here soon, Everything takes time .
    At least Detroit's getting a West Elm Hotel. Maybe Detroit will also get a Restoration Hardware Hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    At least Detroit's getting a West Elm Hotel. Maybe Detroit will also get a Restoration Hardware Hotel.
    "Restoration Hardware - The Hardware Store for people who have never set foot in a hardware store"

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I won't get into a "Deep State" government theory about why retailers may not be welcome downtown [[I personally do believe they are welcome).

But I remember what my late good friend Tony Pieroni [[former owner of the Michigan Theatre Building) told me about the rules and regulations about how city government virtually scams building and business owners. The example he told me about was building dumpsters. At the Michigan Building there were 3 dumpsters. Once a year the city would send an inspector out to his alley and do a 5 minute check of his dumpsters... and then proceed to charge $350 fee per dumpster for a quick inspection of each one [[a total of $1050). That's the equivalent of charging $12,000 per hour for this city employee to do his work.

Now start adding up other city regulations, and it really starts adding up to big money.

So when you sometimes wonder why some companies don't want to be bothered doing business in Detroit... don't forget to add the extra fees for just being here.
    I think that the city scam businesses that are not really welcomed by those who are in city government but others get a pass free from harrasment. I remember what a long time Ave of Fashion business owner had told me years ago. He could not get a break from the city and was thinking about closing. The new businesses that had been opened for a few years at that time were getting all sorts of tax breaks and such from the city but he was being pushed out eventhough his business really serviced the area unlike the weave, barber, funky clothing stores and african braids shops. Eventhough I didn't like the city council headed by Pugh but many retail had opened under their regime and Restoration Hardware would had been able to probably open a outlet store had that council was in office today. This Council by District gives one council person too much power to control the coming and goings of businesses in his/her's particular district especially if that council person's campaign was funded by a business in the council's district that doesnt want competition.
    's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3