Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    http://www.restorationhardware.com

to avoid any further confusion
    WOW these guys mean business!!! If the Detroit store is anything like Boston or LA Detroit has bragging rights and is really on it's way up.
    They aren't spending this kind of money for a pop up ! ;-)

Not a flagship store, but an outlet, update from Crains:

Editor's note: Two details were clarified after this blog was published. The Restoration Hardware that is planned for downtown Detroit will be an outlet, not a flagship, and the Somerset Collection location will remain open.

Quote Originally Posted by bassab View Post
    Not a flagship store, but an outlet, update from Crains:

Editor's note: Two details were clarified after this blog was published. The Restoration Hardware that is planned for downtown Detroit will be an outlet, not a flagship, and the Somerset Collection location will remain open.
    Still nothing to sneer at.

I think an RH outlet is a better fit for downtown at this time. Its not a shlocky type of "outlet".

This is phenomenal. In short order downtown is going to have a Moosejaw next to a Restoration Hardware across the street from a John Varvatos... who would've imagined that 5 years ago?? We have definitely reached the tipping point. I have a feeling the dominoes are only beginning to fall - look how much more residential and foot traffic there is going to be when all of the current projects around upper Woodward and Capital Park, M-1, etc. come online. Just damn good to finally see.

Personally, I like the fact that the RH will be an outlet. Most of their stuff is out of my tax bracket but I do like their wares. I'll check out the outlet for sure. I think it's obvious that they will take the old Kresge space at the corner of Woodward and State. The work being done there fits for the RH MO and RH is going to take a high profile spot like that rather than down in the middle of the block.

Outlet is even better. I'll be able to stalk the offerings daily and scoop up the best deals.

An update-ish:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...ward/31042851/

Still not a confirmation but a "sources familiar"...

RH Detroit officially dead...but then Somerset store going too. I presume Art Van store on Woodward also dead.

RH eyes Birmingham store in $140M project

The two-phase project — part of a four-headed joint venture that's a veritable who's-who of commercial real estate executives in Birmingham — in the end would include a series of components, including 25 rental residential units, 27,000 square feet of office and a total of 65,000 square feet of retail space across multiple buildings as well as about 1,150 parking spaces.
    The company had been in discussions to open a store in downtown Detroit a few years ago but those negotiations ultimately dissolved, Crain's reported in December 2015.

God Birmingham is such a joke compared to the city. This decision is going to bite them in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    God Birmingham is such a joke compared to the city. This decision is going to bite them in the ass.
    You're delusional, kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You're delusional, kid.
    Delusional on what? Have you been to Birmingham? It's nothing special, especially considering what the city has to offer.

All those people buying trendy furniture for their new condos are in Detroit. Not Birmingham.

Birmingham is exactly Restoration Hardware's target demographic. I can't think of a single place in Michigan where it makes more sense for them to open a store.

But wealth is steering away from Birmingham and there are considerably more high end homes going up in the city. They would get more business overtime in Detroit and much more tourist activity since no Detroit tourist is going out to Birmingham.

But wealth is steering away from Birmingham and there are considerably more high end homes going up in the city. They would get more business overtime in Detroit and much more tourist activity since no Detroit tourist is going out to Birmingham.
    It's a furniture retail chain. Tourists wouldn't be shopping there.

Yes I know lots of people who plan their vacations around cities with a good furniture store.

Uh no. I'm a big Detroit booster but also a realist. Wealth is not moving away from Birmingham. Not sure how you could possibly think that. Detroit's "high-end" housing is new builds for well-off 20/30/40 somethings with no kids or retiring baby boomers. And tourists don't shop at places like Restoration Hardware and don't need to because there's probably already one near them or a store similar to it.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Birmingham is exactly Restoration Hardware's target demographic. I can't think of a single place in Michigan where it makes more sense for them to open a store.
    Yes and no. This spot serves them well, but so would a massive store in Midtown that drew from the City, Bham, Royal Oak, Livonia, etc. Would get a ton of positive press too.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitGuy423 View Post
    Yes and no. This spot serves them well, but so would a massive store in Midtown that drew from the City, Bham, Royal Oak, Livonia, etc. Would get a ton of positive press too.
    The store that was planned for Detroit was an outlet, so it wasn't even a full-service store.

On one hand, it would have been nice to see a new brand in Detroit, but on the other hand, it never seemed like a good fit. Detroit's cachet right now is in being a trendsetter, and that's not what a brand like Restoration Hardware evokes. RH is a post-gentrification type of place that comes in after all the cool-factor has been stomped out.

It's a furniture retail chain. Tourists wouldn't be shopping there.
    Not true. RH usually targets trophy spaces in touristy areas like their location in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Uh no. I'm a big Detroit booster but also a realist. Wealth is not moving away from Birmingham.
    The only people who still put Birmingham on a pedestal are rich boomers. Young people of wealth are not interested in Birmingham. The pendulum is indeed swinging.

Everything about RH is large, flashy, artificial, and overpriced. Bham seems like a perfect fit.

On one hand, it would have been nice to see a new brand in Detroit, but on the other hand, it never seemed like a good fit. Detroit's cachet right now is in being a trendsetter, and that's not what a brand like Restoration Hardware evokes. RH is a post-gentrification type of place that comes in after all the cool-factor has been stomped out.
    Completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by gpp1004 View Post
    Everything about RH is large, flashy, artificial, and overpriced. Bham seems like a perfect fit.
    And don't forget Bloomfield Hills a short drive to the north, who will love it too

Ok. Let's take a look at this. A person is paying over $100,000 for a condo or over $1,000 for an apartment in downtown Detroit but don't have a furniture store to shop for good quality furniture. The only two in the nearby areas are Robinson's Furniture and Gardellas. The first is too "ghetto" selling car rims and the latter is too gaudy. I will have to put on my tin foiled hat and say that the same element that kept Planet Fitness out of downtown Detroit is the same element that is keeping RH and Art Van out of downtown Detroit. RH would had been a good fit for downtown or midtown Detroit. The money is there to support RH and/or Art Van. I think that under a different mayor and council RH would had opened in downtown Detroit. Why would anyone pay high rent and dont have a good grocery store and furniture store to shop?

I won't get into a "Deep State" government theory about why retailers may not be welcome downtown [[I personally do believe they are welcome).

But I remember what my late good friend Tony Pieroni [[former owner of the Michigan Theatre Building) told me about the rules and regulations about how city government virtually scams building and business owners. The example he told me about was building dumpsters. At the Michigan Building there were 3 dumpsters. Once a year the city would send an inspector out to his alley and do a 5 minute check of his dumpsters... and then proceed to charge $350 fee per dumpster for a quick inspection of each one [[a total of $1050). That's the equivalent of charging $12,000 per hour for this city employee to do his work.

Now start adding up other city regulations, and it really starts adding up to big money.

So when you sometimes wonder why some companies don't want to be bothered doing business in Detroit... don't forget to add the extra fees for just being here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast