Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Restoration Hardware to open store in downtown Detroit, sources say

Flagship too, wow. I guess Downtown Detroit is the place to be now.

Wonder what will happen to the somerset location. wonder if LBP is starting to get worried. First varvatos chooses downtown over somerset, and now more tenants are moving downtown from somerset. This is a flagship store anyway, not sure if they'll completely shut down somerset store [[doubt they will)

Anybody want to give the low down on Restoration Hardware? Can't say I'm familiar...but seems like a nice place.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    Wonder what will happen to the somerset location. wonder if LBP is starting to get worried. First varvatos chooses downtown over somerset, and now more tenants are moving downtown from somerset. This is a flagship store anyway, not sure if they'll completely shut down somerset store [[doubt they will)
    I doubt this means anything for the Somerset store in the immediate.

But I think we now start the clock on an Apple Store in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I doubt this means anything for the Somerset store in the immediate.

But I think we now start the clock on an Apple Store in Detroit.

oh my don't tease. I know gilbert has repeatedly stated that an Apple store downtown would be the holy grail of retail, because so many other retail stores like to be around Apple stores from the traffic they generate. I do believe though the next Apple store to open in Michigan will absolutely be in downtown.

and Tofu: it's basically high-end furniture. pretty classy stuff in my opinion... if you ever have a chance to check out their stuff at somerset i would suggest it. lot of great pieces they have there.. think along the lines of Pottery Barn-ish... but i would say better quality and probably a little higher prices as well.

Love it. I won't have to drive to Somerset to pick the one piece of furniture I can afford for my house.

Default Restoration Hardware

Restoration hardware to open in Detroit ... another big thing ...discuss ...
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...it-sources-say

This week has been amazing for development in Detroit! I'll bet this is the first in a string of announcements [[if/when they officially announce it) for retail in Gilbert owned buildings along Woodward. This is VERY exciting! 2015 and 2016 will be VERY good years for downtown Detroit!!

Restoration Hardware is a great place for mid to upper-end hardware with style, at a price. With the new apartments and condos coming online in the Downtown area, it should do well. even if you aren't buying big items, they are interesting to walk thru. They also offer some more affordable smaller items that may add a little panache to your décor. [[Got a great lamp from their Somerset store on sale).

It will be a great addition to the emerging downtown shopping district. Now, how about a Crate & Barrel!

Now that light rail construction is progressing I wonder if it won't be long before we get that wave of announcements for retail that Dan Gilbert promised us would open along with m1.

We need a CB2 downtown now!

Darn! I'm was waiting for a Dollar Tree dollar store to come in Gilberttown Detroit, but a hardware store will do.

Now here's a big problem! retail shops in Gilberttown Detroit are hard to come by after Hudson's left. What's makes a hardware store in Gilberttown Detroit will appeal to customers? Will customers buy some tools there or can it be a hardware store just there for show displays. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Darn! I'm was waiting for a Dollar Tree dollar store to come in Gilberttown Detroit, but a hardware store will do.

Now here's a big problem! retail shops in Gilberttown Detroit are hard to come by after Hudson's left. What's makes a hardware store in Gilberttown Detroit will appeal to customers? Will customers buy some tools there or can it be a hardware store just there for show displays. We shall see.
    LOL. Restoration Hardware is hardly a hardware store...

I'm glad to see any decent retail opening on Woodward. But I stopped patronizing RH several years ago after they decided to go even more "upscale" and have their "gallery" stores with nothing useful in them. I liked the original concept when they first opened much better. I wonder what a store in downtown Detroit might be like.

more diverse retail options in downtown and the neighborhoods are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ParisianLesion View Post
    LOL. Restoration Hardware is hardly a hardware store...
    I have to admit I've never heard of Restoration Hardware, but the first thing that popped into my head was a hardware store that sold tools etc. I guess I'm a bit out of the loop. Nice to hear yet another business is opening though.

http://www.restorationhardware.com

to avoid any further confusion

I think I saw one in an upscale mall. Biggest impression they ever gave on me was last year about this time I got a six inch high plastic wrapped bundle. In it were all eight of their catalogs. I guess they sent it out based on zip code or something. I didn't buy anything, so i haven't seen it yet this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    http://www.restorationhardware.com

to avoid any further confusion
    Thanks for the website link. I've got to admit that their project in Boston at the former Historic Museum of Natural History is pretty commendable. That is a large building for adaptive re-use..

I'm happy to see Woodward getting this store but almost wonder if they would have been a nice fit for the former State Savings Bank building. I found a picture of the buildings interior and think it could have been a match made in heaven.. Just a thought...

Here's a few links:

Their Boston Project; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fCNrpF-XiE

Interior Photo of State Savings [[freep archive);
    http://archive.freep.com/article/201...ing-vs-history

While I am extremely excited about the prospect of a Restoration Hardware opening downtown to fill another space and continue the revitalization of Woodward and downtown, I do think that a West Elm would have been a better fit for the downtown population. www.westelm.com
    I wonder if they could both survive?

Quote Originally Posted by WPitonya View Post
    While I am extremely excited about the prospect of a Restoration Hardware opening downtown to fill another space and continue the revitalization of Woodward and downtown, I do think that a West Elm would have been a better fit for the downtown population. www.westelm.com
    I wonder if they could both survive?
    I doubt West Elm would build another store in the area-- they just opened in Birmingham. I wish they would though. It would be nice not to have to drive out to BFE to oogle their wares.

Very exciting! Is this the old S.S. Kresge's place?

Quote Originally Posted by aoife View Post
    I doubt West Elm would build another store in the area-- they just opened in Birmingham. I wish they would though. It would be nice not to have to drive out to BFE to oogle their wares.
    That's right I totally forgot about that [[I don't live in the area anymore). Well maybe a CB2 then, since CB2 and Restoration Hardware have different styles.

i second cb2...prices are accessible for more folks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast