Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: taiil gating

Default taiil gating

could someone please explain to me its facination. freeze asses off get dead drunk before the game... eat some weenies.

Our church is near the stadium and allow tailgating in the parking lot but have to fight our way in and out to attend church. My husband always makes a joke to some drunk as we leave, Only In football is it better to receive than give. Glazed stare, no comprhension of the joke.

Please explain the situation. Does not look fun to me

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    could someone please explain to me its facination. freeze asses off get dead drunk before the game... eat some weenies.

Our church is near the stadium and allow tailgating in the parking lot but have to fight our way in and out to attend church. My husband always makes a joke to some drunk as we leave, Only In football is it better to receive than give. Glazed stare, no comprhension of the joke.

Please explain the situation. Does not look fun to me
    Perhaps I could give this situation an explanation. Sumas, you seem like a good person, but I think you're just looking at a group of people that enjoy different things than you do. Tailgating goes back a long ways. If you look it up there are people that claim the first tailgate party was at Bull Run during the civil war. People rode out to the battle site and sat in wagons with picnic lunches and booze before the battle. I don't tailgate much, but the few times I have, it was always just a social event. Yes, there are people that get drunk, but there are also a larger number of people that drink moderately and enjoy socializing. People spend a lot of time preparing good meals. I don't understand the statement that only in football is it better to receive than give. Actually I don't understand what that means, but a large number of people that tailgate share food with other people there and actually trade recipes. There are good people and bad people just like anywhere else. I happen to think it's a good social event and adds to the excitement of the game. Everybody's dead drunk seems a bit over the top. Also, if you wait to do all your eating and drinking until you get into the stadium, you better have deep pockets. As far as fighting your way to church and back, are these knife fights, thugs with baseball bats or people just pushing you down on the sidewalk? When you say your husband always makes a joke to some drunk, and the drunk doesn't respond, that's probably a good thing. What does he want them to do, confront him. In that situation, I'd have to give points to the drunk for being docile and letting it slide. I guess there are several thousand bible verses I could look up that you might be thinking as you're leaving church. Go easy on these people. Everyone has there own perception of how to live and you're no exception. Good luck.

Thank you for a history lesson. People watching a war and and watching people killed is so not on my list of fun.

Yes I am a nice person, mind my business involved in my community, maintain my property, do area clean ups, know and care about neighbors.

The joke is obvious.

No problems with people getting their fun in different ways. Just don't understand the fun in that. You moralized to me but no explaination on just why that is fun?

And just for taunting, all fun intended, we have many guests coming today for a great dinner. I am no chef but a really good cook. Great music, great food, great company and good conversation, decorating a tree and will enjoy a dessert in front of the fireplace. Its warm. No interest in football

Please send those thousnds of bible verses. I can send some back. Don't need those weinies on the back of those suvs type cars. But each to their own.

I'm so removed from sports at first I thought this thread was about people driving too close to you on the freeway [[that other version of tailgating......)

As you point out, Sumas, getting together with friends over a shared interest is fun.

For you and I am sure for most of the tailgators out there, feasting in front of a warm fire and sharing Christmas cheer is high on the list. They just share football as their common interest and for some reason, they love freezing outside while they enjoy themselves. Libations to warm the spirits are never remiss, up to that point where reason falters.

I prefer your way, others prefer other ways.

At my brother's place, they will be out in the back yard, sitting around a bonfire, all bundled up and sharing beer, hot dogs and marshmallows while trading tall tales into the night. Someone will have their ear glued to a broadcast of the Red Wings and report goals throughout the game. No football.

It's called the sumas way or the Highway!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    It's called the sumas way or the Highway!
    Get off my back. All I said is I do not understand the fun in it. If I recall correctly I said each to their own. My cookies are made, salad made. dressing made to stuff in the turkey later, potatos peeled. Christmas cds ready to play, Trees ready to be decorated. Fireplace loaded and ready to start. I like to be warm and could care less about football.

Gaz said football is the common denominator, that is the only senseable explanation on this thread I got. Get drunk freeze your butt, could care less. Get trashed. hit the highway, smart move

It's just a party Sumas, that's all... some don't mind the cold. Please re-read Old Guy's post -- it's filled with warmth and kindness and his unique brand of wit.

Old Guy, I think the joke about better to receive relates to the receivers catching the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    It's just a party Sumas, that's all... some don't mind the cold. Please re-read Old Guy's post -- it's filled with warmth and kindness and his unique brand of wit.

Old Guy, I think the joke about better to receive relates to the receivers catching the ball.
    Everyone to their own fun, I still don't get it We have a young man getting on his feetl iving with us temp. He is huge into sports. So I asked him. He has zero interest in tailgating but gave me my best answer so far, he said it is just tradition.

Only ever went to one tailgate for a nephew playing in a state chamionship. Relatives who did that religiously set it up. My husband who is a bit frail spent most the time in the car staying warm, It was frigid out and winds were horrid' I spent most of my time manning one of the posts for the makeshift tent. One gust took me a foot off the ground. So not fun. But each to their own.

Was a little annoyed this past Sunday when some idiot tried to charge admission. All I wanted was to attend services, Its my church and vivios party bus and their tailgating partiers pay virtually zero. The church is nice and open to assist area busnisses but to almost being blocked from my church was a little too much. The sermon and service was great. But we had to fight our way in and through. But at least we were warm in church after driving through that zoo

I'm not trying to give you a hard time sumas. I'm simply trying to convey the message that there are people out there that enjoy doing things other than what you do, and are good people. Thank you Downtown lady for the kind words. Also, thanks for the explanation of the joke. Good one Sumas, it went right over my head, Which is ironic, since I'm an avid football fan and you aren't.I spend my Thanksgiving day at a cabin on the Wisconsin River about several hundred yards downriver from Aldo Leopolds shack. There's no TV there. I enjoy the company of friends, we cook good food, hang around the fire and tell lies, mostly. I do that more frequently than attend tail gating parties, but......Also, and I might catch some flack for this, but I detest basketball, at any level.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I'm not trying to give you a hard time sumas. I'm simply trying to convey the message that there are people out there that enjoy doing things other than what you do, and are good people. Thank you Downtown lady for the kind words. Also, thanks for the explanation of the joke. Good one Sumas, it went right over my head, Which is ironic, since I'm an avid football fan and you aren't.I spend my Thanksgiving day at a cabin on the Wisconsin River about several hundred yards downriver from Aldo Leopolds shack. There's no TV there. I enjoy the company of friends, we cook good food, hang around the fire and tell lies, mostly. I do that more frequently than attend tail gating parties, but......Also, and I might catch some flack for this, but I detest basketball, at any level.
    We are not particularly disaprroving. Have several relatives who live up north and an occaisional bonfire is fun. One relative has extensive hunting property and 3 cabins. I don't hunt either. Haven't done that since my Dad died He liked to pheasanr hunt. He made sure I was a fine marksperson. Just don't like killing things. I don't tell them don't hunt. To each their own

I just am not a sport fan much but did catch the lions game on TV and occaisionally get into the sport spirit thing. I figure I jinx local teams if I watch,... but hey they won.

I have been to the lot you are speaking many times...The people there are great!!!...Vivio's contracts that lot from the Church!!!!...Everyone is well behaved, Sure they are loud Cooking ,Laughing,Telling Stories,Music..Throwing the Ball around ...Yes there is Drinking ,Smoking...I met lots of folks I never would of seen...To each their own...To me that's Fellowship in the best sense!!!... Whaler

Sumas some folks like to get caught up in the pre-game atmosphere too. By going there a few hours before gametime, they can party a little and get pumped for the game. Some just like be there to say they were there. I have an acquaintance, who with some friends, went downtown on the Tigers Opening Day. I asked her how she got tickets. She said she didn't have tickets. They were "just going down to join in the spirit of the day". Based on her Facebook posted pictures, I'd say it was more like "spirits" of the day. Personally, I'm not going down there unless I have tickets to the game. I think it's pointless to go there only to hang around outside the gates. I guess it boils down to what you like as others have said. To each their own.