Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Is it really any worse than the F O X spire that dwarfs it by comparison? It's the corporate logo of the company that owns the building.
    It is funny how if something tacky has been around for a long time, that it becomes historic!

But I agree with the others, they need to leave the logos off the fox.

I think the plan is to have the Little Caesars guy dance back and forth across the buildings while shouting Pizza! Pizza! to onlookers below. Should be pretty cool.

The thing I think is more shocking is the lack of Little Caesars signage currently. There is little indication that they occupy the Fox now.

I'll be positive. I like the fact that a hole in the Woodward streetscape will be filled, and I like the design. And that there is more room for more employees.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I'll be positive. I like the fact that a hole in the Woodward streetscape will be filled, and I like the design. And that there is more room for more employees.
    I like it also. This is a very important Woodward streetscape block.

There is probably nothing which makes posters upset is surface parking on Woodward.

When I've posted [[frequently) on the arena plans I believe I suggested that "Phase I" [[that a phase I concocted with an artificial deadline of summer 2017, when the arena is completed) would be say the arena, a hotel on the corner of Woodward/Fisher, THIS IN-FILL building, two buildings [[residential) on Woodward where Comerica Park parking is now, and a few more buildings such as an office building on Woodward at Temple

The big thing being that the Woodward streetscape from Grand Circus to Temple [[or Charlotte) be complete.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Are they really going to put a giant Little Caesars logo on top of the Fox? That would be awful.
    Do you think Times Square is awful? I personally am not so fond of the design, but the idea of making one visual building by re-creating a Fox Building column on the left to match the column on the right -- both with a relatively little logo does make sense and looks ok.

Is it really any worse than the F O X spire that dwarfs it by comparison? It's the corporate logo of the company that owns the building.
    the fox spire, although much gaudier now, is a throwback to what used to be on top of the building. the caesars hockey pucks have no historical roots and shouldnt be on top of the fox at all.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    the fox spire, although much gaudier now, is a throwback to what used to be on top of the building. the caesars hockey pucks have no historical roots and shouldnt be on top of the fox at all.
    Without the Little Caesar, there very likely wouldn't be a Fox theater.

so thats a license for tacky awful signage? ive suffered the consequences of mr. illitch's pizza, the least he can do is keep the fox theater looking classy.

Isn't Ilitch Holdings the entity that actually owns the Fox? Maybe Olympia Entertainment? I don't think it's technically Little Caesars.

For some reason I thought the spire was a restoration of an original architectural detail of the theater. Is that not true?

Probably not the case... the building was owned by Chuck Forbes before the city arm twisted him to selling it to the Ilitch's. Not a single Forbes owned building has come down under his ownership... and there are plenty of his buildings downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    For some reason I thought the spire was a restoration of an original architectural detail of the theater. Is that not true?
    It sort of is... there was a tall rooftop sign on the Fox Building when it was built in 1928. Other downtown theatre's had even larger rooftop signage... the Madison and Michigan Theatre's were two....

Are they really going to put a giant Little Caesars logo on top of the Fox? That would be awful.

Where did you find that picture? The article showed only a truncated version of it. I searched but could only find a photo of the picture you posted.

Edit: Ah! Crain's
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-10-14 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I think the plan is to have the Little Caesars guy dance back and forth across the buildings while shouting Pizza! Pizza! to onlookers below. Should be pretty cool.
    LMAO but seriously this is great news.

Viewing SpartanDawg's image....

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/attachm...5&d=1418229590

... a couple of things to notice... there is a median in the middle of Woodward showing here.... not seen or heard of anything about such a change... and with the parades on Woodward, I doubt it would be implemented.

Also I notice that this building is set back a bit from Woodward... somewhat back from the streetwall that the Francis Palms Building [[Fillmore Theatre) and Fox Theatre Building have.

I do like the "historic touch" to this building, and that skybridge is a satisfying touch with a bit of historic flair.

As Rjlj mentioned... this will likely mean the demise of the small 3 story Blenheim Apartments Building [[still boarded up) on Park Ave. But I do like how the Columbia St. pedestrian zone will likely tie Woodward to Park Ave. The side streets [[Elizabeth, Columbia, Montcalm) have always been pedestrian unfriendly, due in great part to the long footprints cast by the [[razed) Adams, Fillmore and Fox Theatres. By opening up a connection between Woodward and Park Ave., this should be a win-win for Park Ave. establishments.

This streetscape along Columbia is the 2nd time the Ilitch's have proposed developing this long block stretch of roadway. Back in 1999 the Ilitch's proposed an "Agora" or marketplace along that road... with a Hard Rock Cafe on Woodward where the facade of the new building will be. But that never came to fruition, and Hard Rock went elsewhere downtown. But perhaps now is a more opportune time for developing this stretch of Columbia.

But the Ilitch's also need to dedicate some resources to the Fine Arts Building facade and United Artists complex [[as well as the Life Building on Park Ave). With Grand Circus Park getting its' second restore tower... more needs to be done to fix up the Ilitch properties there....
    Last edited by Gistok; December-10-14 at 07:07 PM.

I recall a few months ago the Ilitches saying they wanted to rebuild the I75 bridge to allow more stores and have the arena really mesh with Foxtown. However, it appears the new I75 bridge they are building isn't taking into account? Was this just an empty promise or is this still feasible? Seems like they should have rebuilt the bridge for M1 with the Ilitch plan for retail in mind.

I recall a few months ago the Ilitches saying they wanted to rebuild the I75 bridge to allow more stores and have the arena really mesh with Foxtown. However, it appears the new I75 bridge they are building isn't taking into account? Was this just an empty promise or is this still feasible? Seems like they should have rebuilt the bridge for M1 with the Ilitch plan for retail in mind.

I've been very curious as well... from all of their renderings it seems they're only going to put retail on the West side of Woodward... which is still better than nothing. I'm sure they're still going to do it though because Illitch did make a point to mention it specifically in all of his interviews.

as you can see below there is retail over I75 on the west side of woodward only
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-12-10 at 8.22.17 PM.jpg
Views: 1744
Size:  36.0 KB

They did.

https://www.facebook.com/M1RAIL/phot...5947508530858/

There's 6 pillars there. The original bridge had only 5 supporting it.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    They did.

https://www.facebook.com/M1RAIL/phot...5947508530858/

There's 6 pillars there. The original bridge had only 5 supporting it.
    There was 8 actually-3 for the northbound lanes, then 2 for the left-turn lane and finally 3 for the southbound lanes. These are from a Google Street View image taken two months ago, right when the southbound side was about to be demolished.

I hear they plan to call it the Ron Illich building

Detroit needs its own Times Square. More companies need to move downtown and elsewhere in the city, east and west.
    Last edited by Hypestyles; December-10-14 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    There was 8 actually-3 for the northbound lanes, then 2 for the left-turn lane and finally 3 for the southbound lanes. These are from a Google Street View image taken two months ago, right when the southbound side was about to be demolished.

so wait if there's 6 being added currently, and half the bridge is still up. wouldn't that bring the total up to around 10? up from 8?

not sure how many are still currently up i'm just guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    It sort of is... there was a tall rooftop sign on the Fox Building when it was built in 1928. Other downtown theatre's had even larger rooftop signage... the Madison and Michigan Theatre's were two....
    No. The Fox had a huge 'blade' sign on the Woodward Facade [[and a smaller blade on Montcalm). The roof tower was added around WWII. It is in none of the original Manning Bros. photos at opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Where did you find that picture? The article showed only a truncated version of it. I searched but could only find a photo of the picture you posted.

Edit: Ah! Crain's
    Note the Caesar logo on the SW corner of the new office building. Suggests that there may be an effort to address Columbia & the west.

Is there any indication about the dear Blenheim Apts? Wouldn't be a great loss, but it does make the block 'mixed use'.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast