Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    neo-historcism or the like is typically cost prohibitive as limestone, granite facades are high decorated and detailed. the only architect arguably doing them and doing them well today is Robert A.M. Stern, and those design are pretty stripped down. If I am Chris Illitch and I am building a global resource center as a showpiece for a corporation to attract and retain innovative + creative employees. a new historic facade covering an open amenity-filled office space would simply convey the wrong idea...
    Did you know that only about 10% of the original design was going to have a "neo-historcism" look? The other 90% of the building skin would be modern. That original design would have shown that the LC building was part of the Fox Building complex, and was a clever approach to tie them together.

But the LC building design added a few floors, so it no longer made sense to use that partial old design, since the building heights were going to be different from the original schematic.

Also... the original Fox building is covered in white terra cotta, and not stone. So no stone work detailing would have been required. They could just have created a mold of the existing Fox Building ornate terra cotta, and cast it to create identical detailing on the new building. But that is all a moot point now.

Ironically, if they had stuck with the original design [[no pizza glass), the damn thing likely would have been done by now...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; October-21-18 at 01:34 PM.

Walking by last night I noticed the plastic wrap has disappeared from the top floors of the building. I wonder if this means installation of the remaining windows is imminent, or if it is just aesthetics for the parade. Also I noticed what appear to be revolving doors on Columbia Street and exterior lights on the second floor balcony. This development is moving painfully slow.

They seem to have taken down the live web cam on the District Detroit site.

Quote Originally Posted by mkd View Post
    They seem to have taken down the live web cam on the District Detroit site.
    http://www.earthcam.net/projects/ili...ittlecaesar_tl

I walked by this afternoon and noticed a crane on site and more of the glass windows ready to go. It appears this window work will be starting up again soon. From my vantage point it looked like a large amount of the building interior was complete. Does anyone have any updates on this slow moving project?

Speaking of window mess-ups, the Vista Tower - which will be the third tallest building in Chicago when completed - also had a major problem with glass that was only fixed relatively recently. Apparently, the general contractor chosen for the project was a big concrete company, and they poured all of the money into that material instead of getting the best trades for every part of the tower. So they got the windows, but the windows didn't fit right. lol So they finally had to adjust their budget and rebid and it finally got fixed. Glass construction was delayed for months.

The Columbia Street pedestrian area is now open. I'm not sure when the construction fences came down, but I walked through the strip this morning. It is very nice looking and construction is still on-going with lots of workers on site, but still no shops or restaurants open.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    The Columbia Street pedestrian area is now open. I'm not sure when the construction fences came down, but I walked through the strip this morning. It is very nice looking and construction is still on-going with lots of workers on site, but still no shops or restaurants open.
    Cool, thanks for the update. Will have to check it out.

Still windows missing on LC HQ though. Winter is coming. Might get drafty in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Cool, thanks for the update. Will have to check it out.

Still windows missing on LC HQ though. Winter is coming. Might get drafty in there.
    They will fix it. Whatever they get ready!

Final windows are [[supposedly) going up a year later....
    https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...hq/1921865001/

It's about time those Ill-Leetches!!!

Now that the tough work is done they can finally get on with District Detroit.

someone is getting sued...that's for sure

took too long. But good for them, I guess.

I do agree with the lawsuit part. The vibrations and sound of the mechanical on the roof was causing glass cracking vibrations [[as well as distracting noises). Also, there is a 3 story rotunda in the upper floors of that building... so the rooftop noise even filtered down a few more floors than would otherwise be the case.

Also, this couldn't have happened to them at a worse time... reputation wise, which really is a shame... NOT!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9