Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Yes, because thinking an early rendering from months ago was going to be the final plan is such a terrible bait and switch...
    an early rendering is one thing , this is totally different .
    It's like someone sending you their high school picture from 15 years ago then you see them in person and you're like WTF !? LOL ... yeah I've put on a few pounds lol

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Now that we have a design for the new building, I wonder what design the Ilitches will come up with for the housing across the street?

Will it blend with the new LC building?
    It will look like parking lots because it will remain parking lots. We are on the fourth iteration of 'we're going to build on those lots on Woodward.'

If people believed him the other 4 times there's no surprise they'll believe him again

Now that we have a design for the new building, I wonder what design the Ilitches will come up with for the housing across the street?

Will it blend with the new LC building?
    Even Ilitch's biggest booster on this board is only hoping for another rendition of a proposed design. How about when will the construction start on that housing? Or is that to high of a expectation? One only has to look at the mess of the Fine Arts Building across the park from the David Whitney and Broderick Tower to understand our frustration Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    It will look like parking lots because it will remain parking lots. We are on the fourth iteration of 'we're going to build on those lots on Woodward.'

If people believed him the other 4 times there's no surprise they'll believe him again
    Where is Mitt Romney when we need him [["Want to bet ten thousand dollars?").

Our last word was that the Ilitches were in negotiations with the church for the land.

The land is critical for the building[[s). [[Plural).

My guess is that another parking garage will go up first after the Tigers' season is over.

Then the residential units can be built after the garage is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by mkd View Post
    Maybe we'll see a less historicist new design for the Mike Ilitch School of Business as well.
    Like this?

Where is Mitt Romney when we need him [["Want to bet ten thousand dollars?").

Our last word was that the Ilitches were in negotiations with the church for the land.

The land is critical for the building[[s). [[Plural).

My guess is that another parking garage will go up first after the Tigers' season is over.

Then the residential units can be built after the garage is finished.
    I find it comical that you are so willing to ignore their past and are so insistent that this time is different than all the others. To date, they have worked on the stadium and rolled out some architectural plans. As of 6/23/2016, history is repeating itself but you're the only one that misses it.

Full disclosure: I still think you are on an Ilitch/Olympia payroll

Quote Originally Posted by Rock N Rye View Post
    Like this?
    lol...this one is extremely schematic

I have to say this crossed my mind too.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Full disclosure:

I live in the Washington, D.C. area and not a hockey fan [[I haven't been a hockey fan in a few decades - the last team I rooted for was the Washington Capitals).

I haven't had any salary income in a few years [[I'm retired now. I'm a fmr. federal government employee).

I'll be glad to get together with Donald Trump. We both can show our tax returns for the last four years...

And, I know, the 'conspiracy' folks probably think I'm getting paid under [[on?) the table with Little Caesar's pizzas... and maybe a few ball park franks when I'm in Detroit and at a Tigers' game.

Like this?
    So much better than the other design.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Figures - the second comment on this thread lauded the proposed design, so that's what they changed. The new design isn't terrible, but the original was better.

I agree. Unfortunately they decided that the building was too small and they have had to add floors which made it taller than the Fox which threw off carrying over the Fox look.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit View Post
    I agree. Unfortunately they decided that the building was too small and they have had to add floors which made it taller than the Fox which threw off carrying over the Fox look.
    Yeah... that is too bad. And also too bad is that these same genius's couldn't figure out a way to just expand into the Detroit Life Building.... right behind the Fox, instead of making this building larger. But that would involve rehab.... something that the Ilitch's seem to have a very difficult time with.

http://historicdetroit.org/galleries...ng-old-photos/

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    I think he's an Ilitch nephew.

Again this piece:

Like this?
    Now that's going to win tons of design awards, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    I think he's an Ilitch nephew.
    Wish I were. I like their deep dish pizza and watching the Tigers.

"Free pizza, pizza..."

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Yeah... that is too bad. And also too bad is that these same genius's couldn't figure out a way to just expand into the Detroit Life Building.... right behind the Fox, instead of making this building larger. But that would involve rehab.... something that the Ilitch's seem to have a very difficult time with.

http://historicdetroit.org/galleries...ng-old-photos/
    Fox Building = +/- 100,000 s.f.
    Detroit Life = +/- 35,000 s.f.
    New Building [[in one article) +/- 250,000 s.f.

Detroit Life is 1/2 short city block wide, and less than 50' deep at best. DL these days would be best as condos who don't mind rock and roll trucks in their back yard. Nowhere near big enough for Ilitch's needs.

But the argument that more floors doomed the fake-historic facade design.... absurd. My guess is that it was destroyed by the SmithGroup architects who likely hated the idea of Cranes old designs on their masterpiece. Architects [[and I've worked with many) have huge egos and strong opinions on design. They want to create new, not recycle old. They are the likely suspects for torpedo launching here. One could easily have stepped the upper floors back 20' with little loss of efficiency. Somebody wanted their triangle glitz.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; June-24-16 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Now that's going to win tons of design awards, isn't it?
    Now that's funny !

So according to the articles, LC-HQs will start construction soon [[this summer), and be ready for occupancy by 2018. That translates to 2 years +/- for construction.

Meanwhile to the north, the Eddystone hotel is also due for renovation by Olympia. I thought it was supposed to open at the same time as the arena, but I haven't heard anything about that property recently. Is anything actually being done there? Or does the Eddystone just further solidify our skepticism?

Full disclosure:

I live in the Washington, D.C. area and not a hockey fan [[I haven't been a hockey fan in a few decades - the last team I rooted for was the Washington Capitals).

I haven't had any salary income in a few years [[I'm retired now. I'm a fmr. federal government employee).

I'll be glad to get together with Donald Trump. We both can show our tax returns for the last four years...

And, I know, the 'conspiracy' folks probably think I'm getting paid under [[on?) the table with Little Caesar's pizzas... and maybe a few ball park franks when I'm in Detroit and at a Tigers' game.
    In the interest of your "Full Disclosure" approximately how many pieces of Detroit Tiger paraphernalia do you own? [[Not that there is anything wrong with that) Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    In the interest of your "Full Disclosure" approximately how many pieces of Detroit Tiger paraphernalia do you own? [[Not that there is anything wrong with that) Just curious.
    Not too much but a few.

Mostly things like a cap, a book, etc.

Also have a few baseballs. Got Granderson and J.D. Martinez autographed balls but I got them like everyone else does. Went down by the field and asked.

Nothing at all unusual. Pretty typical fan. As I don't live in the Midwest it isn't like I can get autographed baseballs or go to Tiger Fests or whatever whenever I want...
    Last edited by emu steve; June-25-16 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DansTheMan View Post
    Did you see this part in those links??

"This property owner hasn't provided contact details for this property."

That and "No availability"... kinda says "Still pending"....
    Last edited by Gistok; June-25-16 at 02:01 PM.

As I stated previously, the historicist facade was eliminated by the owner, who originally requested it. Replicating historic details to their true integrity is very costly and I guarantee when said option was priced illitch balked. For a contemporary workplace...the faux facade isn't really authentic to the buildings nature. These among a myriad of others likely result in current state of the design.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    As I stated previously, the historicist facade was eliminated by the owner, who originally requested it. Replicating historic details to their true integrity is very costly and I guarantee when said option was priced illitch balked. For a contemporary workplace...the faux facade isn't really authentic to the buildings nature. These among a myriad of others likely result in current state of the design.
    The Fox Building/Theatre restoration of 1988 [[and since) has required a lot of repair/replacement of the ornate "Cambodian Gothic" terra cotta exterior skin, even since the initial restoration. One would think that the cost of any new terra cotta work [[same as replacement)... would be of little surprise to the Ilitch's, especially since the existing building will likely require repair/replacement on into the future.

On the otherhand, perhaps the total cost of a double bay of window surrounds in ornate terra cotta was more than they anticipated, since historic type of work is otherwise rather foreign to them.

I do know that terra cotta damage replacement for the Detroit Opera House Broadway facade came to about $2 million.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast