Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default We land on MSN's 15 Hottest Cities for 2015 list

...maybe my wish to say "I told you so" is not such a pipe dream.

/gg

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/reale...d=iehp#image=1

The image the show for Detroit is amusing - about 6 images into the slide show. It must be photoshopped. It you look at the top of the full-house looking Cadillac Hotel, you can see the weathered copper cupolas now brownish and clean after renovation. Compuware and the Kennedy Square Building built after the BC closed are visible.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-12-10 at 10.24.14 AM.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  41.3 KB

^^^Found the source of that image. It's pretty much a photo from 2006-2007.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Detr...w=1280&bih=923 [[competitor forum?)
    Last edited by animatedmartian; December-10-14 at 10:48 AM.

I don't think the image is photoshopped; I believe this is from when the Book-Cadillac was undergoing restoration. It is lit up on all floors with interior construction lights and you can see the scaffolding. You can also tell it's before they cleaned the facade because the brick and stone looks very dingy.

Looking through the other cities mentioned, they almost all had one thing in common: young people coming into the core. All of those Baby Boomer's kids are graduating/have graduated college and are starting to make some bucks. I hope everyone gets used to a much younger demographic downtown for the foreseeable future [[or as some may say "hipsters") as well.

The whole moving to the core thing we see around the country is awesome. I think we'll know we've turned the corner on Detroit when we see big URBAN infill projects [[Orleans Landing is a step in the right direction) and the kids of hipsters going to Detroit area schools. That'll make the difference between great entertainment districts and a great city.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    The whole moving to the core thing we see around the country is awesome. I think we'll know we've turned the corner on Detroit when we see big URBAN infill projects [[Orleans Landing is a step in the right direction) and the kids of hipsters going to Detroit area schools. That'll make the difference between great entertainment districts and a great city.
    But how do you turn the schools around? The only way I see it happening is once the blight is gone and neighborhhods are stabilized. And to me, that's a HELL of a long way off.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    But how do you turn the schools around? The only way I see it happening is once the blight is gone and neighborhhods are stabilized. And to me, that's a HELL of a long way off.
    Chicago schools are terrible too. When the kids have kids they generally move to the burbs.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Chicago schools are terrible too. When the kids have kids they generally move to the burbs.
    No matter how terrible any other school district is in any other city in America it doesn’t make DPS any better.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19
    But how do you turn the schools around?

With the way our country is structured right now, it's almost impossible. Like most things, we won't fix the schools until we have to. As long as we can afford sprawl, urban schools will continue to struggle.

Schools are largely a reflection of the families that send their kids there. The notion of "fixing" the school absent a concurrent "fixing" of the families in the area is wishful thinking. When you have neighborhoods where the kids see their first book in Preschool or Kindergarten, where the parent[[s) aren't laser-focused on education and where parents don't attend school functions or parent-teacher conferences, you have a problem unfixable by mere increases in funding.

Detroit does have some very excellent schools unfortunately too few. Seems like perhaps more volunteers would help. We do after school tutoring but from our home. Maybe we should be more hands on in the local schools. We help 5 to 7 kids and that is so limited.

We do have a big influx of young people moving in which is great. Our area is quite stable but truth is when they have kids they encounter a dilemma.

Funny, the link doesn't say anything about the schools. Is it possible to stay on-topic and be excited that the D is getting national recognition for the recent turnaround we've been enjoying?

There seems to be a trend for Detroit getting put on lists for good lately...

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    There seems to be a trend for Detroit getting put on lists for good lately...

It's only the beginning.

We land on MSN's 15 Hottest Cities for 2015 list

Motor City's burning Baby...

As someone else inferred, it reads like a Hot List for the 18-25 crowd. Others, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
    As someone else inferred, it reads like a Hot List for the 18-25 crowd. Others, not so much.
    There couldn't be a better age bracket to start with. Old people who still believe that the suburbs vs. city battle must rage on will never learn. Only young people are smart enough to figure out failed thought processes and change something for the future. This city has been living proof of that if nothing else.