Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Help needed: Searching for names of Detroit-based potato-chip companies

Hello! I am starting research for a book that will focus on Detroit-based potato-chip companies. I've got a pretty good list started...but it's not complete. What companies am I missing? Can you help me? Thank you in advance!

Here's what I have so far:

1. Paradise Potato Chip Co.
    2. Superior Potato Chips
    3. Everkrisp Potato Chip Co.
    4. New Era Potato Chips
    5. Wolverine Potato Chips.
    6. Vita-Boy
    7. Heintz
    8. Charles Chips
    9. Paramount
    10. Krun-chee
    11. Mello Krisp
    12. Keuhmanns
    13. Twin Pines
    14. Famous Foods Inc.
    15. Mack’s
    16. Yankee Potato Chip
    17. Jane Parker
    18. Everlast
    19. Better Made

Ray's Potato Chips

Thinking more 1930s-1960s. Ray's definitely will be in the story, but more in the modern era.

I think there's a brand called Downey's that my aunt used to like.

Big Boy chips were the best. I think they were Detroit made but I'm not 100% sure, they came in a white bag with big red lettering. All the corner stores in my neighborhood sold them. Early to late 60s.

I don't think Charles Chips was Detroit based.

http://www.charleschips.com/best-chips-story.php

Quote Originally Posted by 48202 View Post
    I don't think Charles Chips was Detroit based.

http://www.charleschips.com/best-chips-story.php
    Neither was Keuhmann's.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=4051,5607854

There was a small potato chip company on Conant just south of Davison in the late fifties. I believe the name was "GOLD CHIPS". We used to go there after playing ball at Jane Field and get warm chips.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I think there's a brand called Downey's that my aunt used to like.
    You can still purchase them - hands down the very best!

Cabana Chips

Interesting topic! Mark Winkelman, the president of Better Made, estimates that, during the height of the potato chip in Detroit, when the city was regarded as the potato chip capital of the world, there were 22 chip companies in the city.

I'd sure like to see a finished list if you manage to research it out!

Downey's from Waterford, site says since 1984. Are you looking for companies in Detroit proper, or the metro area?

I found Nicks Chips from Warren recently, pretty good, $4.00 a pound. I remember when potatoes were a hundred pounds for a dollar.

Are you looking for Detroit based or Michigan based potato chip companies? If it's Detroit based then there's also Vitners Potato Chips and Grandpapas Potato Chips. Uncle Ray's actually bought the Cabana Foods Potato Chip Company. Downeys, Nicks and Paramount aren't Detroit based but are based in Michigan. Great Lakes Potato Chips also is Michigan based [[not in Detroit). Someone mentioned Golds. I don't think they were based in Michigan. But I also remember them at the local stores [[I also played at Jane Field and grew up off of McNichols between Davison and Conant). Went to St. Augustines. By the way, I worked at the Krun Chee Potato Chip Company from 1968 until they closed in December, 1974.
    Last edited by Midwest Man; March-01-15 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Man View Post
    Are you looking for Detroit based or Michigan based potato chip companies? If it's Detroit based then there's also Vitners Potato Chips and Grandpapas Potato Chips.
    Vitner's is actually based in Chicago [[unless there was another Vitner's Potato Chips).

I think you're right. The Vitners I was thinking about was Vitners Chips and Snacks in Dearborn. It might be a distribution center for Vitners [[Chicago). I'm not sure.

Such a treat it was to find out from this thread that Charles Chips is still around, I thought they went under years ago. They are a fond memory from my childhood. The potato chip man would come once a week and deliver a tin of them right to our home from his truck just like the fruit and vegetable man and the milkman did.

I just ordered 3 tins of them. I can't wait for them to arrive. My children have never tasted them. They are in for a treat!

If any of you out in Detroityesland want to try a superb potato chip you can order here: http://www.charleschips.com/shop-chips.php