Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Today's Action In Campus Martius [Ferguson/Eric Garner Protest]

Protest today in Detroit,MI: Campus Martius Park at 12:03pm
    http://fergusonresponse.tumblr.com/p...2-03-pm-campus

What are people actually protesting at this point? It isn't clear to me.

Assuming the protests are actually focused on police procedures, then why aren't the protestors going to police stations instead of trying to bother people going about their daily lives?

At Noel Night there were people blocking the street demanding free water for Detroiters, but using the "hands up, don't shoot" meme. This kind of unfocused nonsense leads to regular people being turned off, because it just becomes a gathering space for kooks.

I don't get the point of having all the protests downtown. If you want maximum visibility and reach, the protests should be in the 'burbs. Royal Oak or Birmingham on a Friday night. Big Beaver in Troy during rush hour. Woodward in the 'burbs during peak hours. THOSE are areas that would get the majority of the metro area's attention.

Besides some Quicken Loans workers, who's going to care that you're protesting downtown? Most of the people down there are already sympathetic to the protests or don't care. Visibility is poor UNLESS there is a big sports game. Otherwise, you're wasting your time.

NBA & NFL players know but you don't? The President of the United States know but you don't? Seems everyone knows excepts those watching Fox News nonstop, there's the hint.
    Last edited by RapBrown; December-09-14 at 11:35 AM.

Actually those are all good ideas nain, I'm not putting them together, just telling you where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    IMost of the people down there are already sympathetic to the protests or don't care.
    Not at Noel Night. People were laughing that the protestors were trying to connect the Detroit water shutoffs with the police incident in Missouri. It becomes a joke if you don't actually have a purpose, and just turn a protest into a laundry list of left-leaning causes.

They should go to police stations if they have a problem with the police. I don't see what Campus Martius, or Woodward in Royal Oak, or Big Beaver in Troy, has to do with supposed concern over police procedures.

Quote Originally Posted by RapBrown View Post
    Protest today in Detroit,MI: Campus Martius Park at 12:03pm http://fergusonresponse.tumblr.com
    Let this 'War on Cops' play out, and hope for black America will again fade. Without justice, there is no peace. Without policing, there is no justice in our city. It may be that these couple of cops are valid examples. Maybe they are racist and should be convicted. I don't see the evidence, but maybe. But what i do know is that we very much need cops who don't just sit in the patrol cars, watch crime, and eat donuts. We want cops who do engage in their communities. Call out bad behavior. Challenge troublemakers. Protect the innocent and the good against the common criminals who assault and steal.

I'm all in favor of holding police to very high standards, and holding those guilty accountable. I'm not in favor of lynch mobs in reverse, demanding the head of a cop because he might be racist and was put at risk for his life and now his career because of the reckless actions of a common criminal.

NBA & NFL players know but you don't? The President of the United States know but you don't? Seems everyone knows excepts those watching Fox News nonstop, there's the hint.
    Love this ignorant response. Obviously anyone who has an opinion differing from a few unemployed anarchists is a Fox news watcher, right? I'm a registered Democrat, and middle-of-the road on most issues [[not that it matters).

The President of the U.S. has been very dignified and clear in his responses. He certainly is not "with the protesters", neither in words nor actions.

The legal process worked, and you don't like the result. Then, if you want change, you need to change the process. You need reforms to police procedures. Tell us what the police officer[[s) should do differently. Tell us what needs to change in the grand jury process. Otherwise you're just wasting everyone's time.

Chanting "free water" and "black lives matter" while blocking kids from going to the Detroit Science Center isn't going to endear one person to this amorphous "cause", which seems to be "Occupy Wall Street", but in new clothes.
    Last edited by Bham1982; December-09-14 at 11:42 AM.

Sorry forgot one; The United Nations understands, but you don't?

Sorry forgot one; The United Nations understands, but you don't?
    RapBrown, think for yourself. You have no clue what you're talking about.

No, the UN has no clue on this issue, as they made quite clear. It was nice of them to take a few minutes off from their anti-Israel agenda to host a few felons from the U.S., apparently to offer their deep insights on the U.S. justice system.

here ya go: Don't give up & never give in. "You just have to besteady." -President Obamahttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuQYQCEd5X4 …

The racists will never understand, they'll just complain that your messin with their Hallmark Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Tell us what the police officer[[s) should do differently. Tell us what needs to change in the grand jury process.
    That's my big rub with the Ferguson protests. I understand the choke-hold death outrage. From the details there, it shouldn't have happened.

But in Ferguson, what should have happened differently? I can tell you, Mike Brown shouldn't have robbed that store. Mike Brown shouldn't have assaulted a police officer. Mike Brown shouldn't have grabbed for the cops gun. Mike Brown is responsible for his own death.

I don't understand how anyone can sympathize with Mike Brown. He's what's wrong with society.

LISTEN: If you ever wondered what you would do if you were alive in the CivilRights Movement, NOW IS THE TIME to find out. NOW. RIGHT NOW

March on protestors, take your words of justice to the streets. Block all main roads. Michael Brown and Eric Garner will not die in vain. This civil war will go on until our governments will listen and the police force follow their prime directive protocols. Keep your eyes on the prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982
    Not at Noel Night. People were laughing that the protestors were trying to connect the Detroit water shutoffs with the police incident in Missouri. It becomes a joke if you don't actually have a purpose, and just turn a protest into a laundry list of left-leaning causes.

Exactly. They didn't care. Protesting in a half-abandoned/empty city just isn't an effective approach. I remember during Occupy Detroit, people going to an event at the Fox or what have you would take bemused strolls through Grand Circus Park. Just like it was amusing for people walking around the protesters on their way to the DIA on Noel Night.

Block Main Street in RO on Friday night, and you'll make a statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Love this ignorant response. Obviously anyone who has an opinion differing from a few unemployed anarchists is a Fox news watcher, right? I'm a registered Democrat, and middle-of-the road on most issues [[not that it matters).

The President of the U.S. has been very dignified and clear in his responses. He certainly is not "with the protesters", neither in words nor actions.

The legal process worked, and you don't like the result. Then, if you want change, you need to change the process. You need reforms to police procedures. Tell us what the police officer[[s) should do differently. Tell us what needs to change in the grand jury process. Otherwise you're just wasting everyone's time.

Chanting "free water" and "black lives matter" while blocking kids from going to the Detroit Science Center isn't going to endear one person to this amorphous "cause", which seems to be "Occupy Wall Street", but in new clothes.

To other white folks if they see black folks [[escpecially black males) getting into prison culture, they will become racists and be chased away into defense.

Willi Guest

How about NOT acting like a criminal, gangbanger, theif, hoodlum, sketchyasf#¢¥, pain-in-the-ass for law enforcement......maybe then you won't be "hassled" !!!!!!!! !!!! !!!!

Actully he said it best almost 50 years ago now; Love Me, I'm a Liberal - Phil Ochs

http://youtu.be/GD5wa7duofo

If you ever wondered what you would do if you were alive in the CivilRights Movement, NOW IS THE TIME to find out. NOW. RIGHT NOW
    Last edited by RapBrown; December-09-14 at 12:40 PM.

Default e B

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    That's my big rub with the Ferguson protests. I understand the choke-hold death outrage. From the details there, it shouldn't have happened.

But in Ferguson, what should have happened differently? I can tell you, Mike Brown shouldn't have robbed that store. Mike Brown shouldn't have assaulted a police officer. Mike Brown shouldn't have grabbed for the cops gun. Mike Brown is responsible for his own death.

I don't understand how anyone can sympathize with Mike Brown. He's what's wrong with society.
    The protesters have some valid and critical issues, but their failure to understand the appropriate role of force in policing work harms their cause.

If the protesters want to get any real racial reconciliation, they need to show that they are taking responsibility for the Mike Brown's of the world, while expecting the police to be open to about discussing how they defend all of us.

Perhaps Wilson was 100% wrong -- but that doesn't mean every cop nationwide needs to stop engaging with common criminals of both races.

Its hard to be against stopping the shooting of the unarmed. So most blacks say, yeah, we want more from our police, so we're behind you. But what I don't believe black America really wants to wimpy cops who try to avoid conflict with criminals either. That may be what they get.

These are "the good old days" for Activists & America, be effective, budget your time. You can't be everywhere all the time. You Matter!

If you ever wondered what you would do if you were alive in the CivilRights Movement, NOW IS THE TIME to find out. NOW. RIGHT NOW

Willi Guest

Incite a riot, check IP addresses

Detroit is in a healing process. I want it to succeed. Did my fair share of civil rights protest/marches etc in the past. Those causes meant something.

Supporting a sleeze bag death by cop does nothing for me,

There are certainly issues worth fighting for but that aint one on my list

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    How about NOT acting like a criminal, gangbanger, theif, hoodlum, sketchyasf#¢¥, pain-in-the-ass for law enforcement......maybe then you won't be "hassled" !!!!!!!! !!!! !!!!
    So Eric Garner deserved to die for selling single cigarettes??

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    So Eric Garner deserved to die for selling single cigarettes??
    This is why these protests gain so little traction amongst the masses. You take something people might agree is wrong, or at least worth looking into more deeply, namely the physical interactions between citizens and the police, especially between police and minorities, and you say something outlandish that no one is arguing, that Garner certainly deserved death for selling single cigarettes.

Do you think people actually think this? Do you think this is what "the other side" is arguing? That people want the punishment for selling single cigarettes to be summary execution on the street by the police? That Brown deserved to die for simply walking in the street, and that grabbing the cop's gun played no part in it and should be ignored? You strike me as the type of person who is totally incapable of seeing any part of an issue except that which they themselves agree with.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast