Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Google posts new Street View images of Detroit taken this year

That's right. Just went to load up a Google Street View image of Woodward and I-94 and the image date was October 2014. I'm not making this up. It even looks very similar to the scenes I saw when I was driving along this stretch of Woodward today-and that was just two months ago.

Google has already posted images taken this year for other areas of Michigan, including Ann Arbor and parts of the Ambassador Bridge, but I did not see this coming, considering when I went to check the list of counties the Google car was currently driving through earlier this year Wayne County wasn't even listed.

Has anyone else came across these new Street View images taken this year of Detroit?

I noticed it earlier today. Seems like most major routes are updated so far. My biggest wish is that they'd update the satellite view. Capitol Park wasn't even repaved the last time they updated it!

Why isn't the satellite view updated more often? I can understand the street views would be difficult, but a satellite view has to be easy enough to update every 6 or 12 months.

Probably due to licensing. Could be with certain satellite image providers, Google has to use their images for a certain amount of time. Not really sure.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian
    Probably due to licensing. Could be with certain satellite image providers, Google has to use their images for a certain amount of time. Not really sure.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's because Google has moved on to "earth view". You can't even use satellite view unless you're using Classic Google Maps. On earth view, Capitol Park is paved. It's also paved on satellite view if you zoom in close.

Personally, I think replacing satellite view with earth view was a big mistake. Earth view feels like a beta product years from completion. The tech isn't quite there and it's a major bandwidth hog.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    That's right. Just went to load up a Google Street View image of Woodward and I-94 and the image date was October 2014. I'm not making this up. It even looks very similar to the scenes I saw when I was driving along this stretch of Woodward today-and that was just two months ago.

Google has already posted images taken this year for other areas of Michigan, including Ann Arbor and parts of the Ambassador Bridge, but I did not see this coming, considering when I went to check the list of counties the Google car was currently driving through earlier this year Wayne County wasn't even listed.

Has anyone else came across these new Street View images taken this year of Detroit?
    Yeah i noticed this a few days ago, grand river was the first one i noticed it on. I was looking at GR and rosa parks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Why isn't the satellite view updated more often? I can understand the street views would be difficult, but a satellite view has to be easy enough to update every 6 or 12 months.
    Actually, if you check the far east side, the satellite images there are from October of last year.