Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Punchbowl Social downtown, Hopcat in midtown; both set to open this week

Very exciting for the younger crowds looking to live and play in Detroit.

Now maybe they'll be able to be open till 4 am and these 'lowlives' as some people on this board [[aka miserable grandpas going nowhere in life) like to call them, can stay out later

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/12/...ampaign=buffer

Has anyone been there yet?

Please refrain from using the words "work", "live", and "play" when discussing urban cities whenever possible. The buzz is too strong with these words.

Quote Originally Posted by xrockerboy View Post
    Has anyone been there yet?
    I went there tonight. It was crowded but there was no wait. Quicken had the whole gaming side reserved so we could only sit on the bar side to eat and drink. I feel like this will happen often. If someone reserves the gaming side for a private party you can't enter it.

I bet Punch Bowl is giving Drive Ping Pong in the Penobscot a run for their money...

I went to Punch Bowl for the Wedneseday night opening and HopCat for their soft opening last night from 7-9pm. Both will draw different crowds.

Hopcat has a neat second floor outdoor patio with heat lamps for escaping and a more hipster vibe. Punch Bowl is more for the pretty people crowd [[think Black Finn Royal Oak) with adult games [[shuffleboard, ping pong, karaoke rooms, billiards, darts, arcade).

Both really welcome entrants into the downtown/midtown scene. Went to Punch Bowl for lunch yesterday and the service was terrible, probably due to the cavernous size - so I wouldn't recommend getting food there - but for drinks/going out - both top notch places!

I was walking up Woodward this morning – a few minutes before 9:00 am – and noticed a few people waiting out in front of Hopcat. As I looked down Canfield I noticed the line actually stretched half way down the block. Selling tickets I assume – Hopcat starting out with a bang…

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    I was walking up Woodward this morning – a few minutes before 9:00 am – and noticed a few people waiting out in front of Hopcat. As I looked down Canfield I noticed the line actually stretched half way down the block. Selling tickets I assume – Hopcat starting out with a bang…

no tickets. free entry but all day today they're offering free crack fries to everybody. Plus the first 200 people who got in get free crack fries for a year.

just drove by it about an hour ago [[3 PM) and the line was still halfway down the block of Canfield.. it's bumping!

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    To think, someone walking up Woodward years ago would've been an anomaly. It's good to hear of places like this opening up and causing a bit of a nice buzz [[no pun intended).

MAcc Guest

Can someone explain the location. Are they catering to WSU students? I thought it was more-so commuter school. I've never been out drinking in midtown, but I assume undergrad and grad students that do live on campus drink at certain bars around there already? Is this place going to steal all of their business or was there a lack of bars around there?

Even after M1, it seems too far from Comerica, Ford Field and the new hockey arena crowds.

My daily constitutional up Woodward again – dodging the “sidewalk closed” signs. Walked right in front of Hopcat, beautiful inside, chandlers upstairs, nicely appointed main floor, also noticed for the first time all the TV’s on the main floor. Lots of love and investment in this property…

does either place have good nachos?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    they only serve cauliflower nachos-I hate cauliflower, so to me there nasty

Quote Originally Posted by MAcc View Post
    Can someone explain the location. Are they catering to WSU students? I thought it was more-so commuter school. I've never been out drinking in midtown, but I assume undergrad and grad students that do live on campus drink at certain bars around there already? Is this place going to steal all of their business or was there a lack of bars around there?

Even after M1, it seems too far from Comerica, Ford Field and the new hockey arena crowds.
    Explain the location? It's Woodward & Canfield. About as Midtown central as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I tried HopCat's sloppy fries that had cheese and sloppy joe meat all over them. Nothing my cardiologist would suggest but they were pretty damn tasty.