Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default NYTimes Sunday Review: Detroit by Air

Nice photos from the air, shows the contrast from the rich to the struggling city environs.

A lot of the areas that look good are not "rich", just kept up. But what the hell, I expect the NYT to spin it rich vs poor.

I'm pretty center-left, but I kinda agree with GPwrangler. Where's Royal Oak? Warren? Dearborn? Hell even Rosedale Park or Bagley! I only see the extremes, albeit the one photo of Alter Road. But even that neighborhood of GPP seems to be more middle class than the typical upper class of the Grosse Pointes.

It would have been one thing to just do Detroit, which actually would be more interesting, but this just leads to decisiveness. I'm afraid that's what will happen to this thread.

Oh come on, this is how all cities get treated by the national press. You need the equivalent of doctorate to understand the ridiculous nuances and intricate segregation of Metro Detroit. "Why didn't he fly over that tiny neighborhood near Grand River? Doesn't he know that counterbalances all the decay? JESUS!"

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I'm pretty center-left, but I kinda agree with GPwrangler. Where's Royal Oak? Warren? Dearborn? Hell even Rosedale Park or Bagley! I only see the extremes, albeit the one photo of Alter Road. But even that neighborhood of GPP seems to be more middle class than the typical upper class of the Grosse Pointes.

It would have been one thing to just do Detroit, which actually would be more interesting, but this just leads to decisiveness. I'm afraid that's what will happen to this thread.
    It's a photo story. The extremes you see at Alter make for a compelling visual.

As an aside, that house in GPF on the water featured in the article is one of the Cottons. It's a new build that went on I think two old lots. I don't recall what the houses looked like that were there, but they were torn down at least 10 years ago. Subject of a bunch of different failed proposals to put a boutique hotel, condos or a library. Glad it became a significant house. Lakeshore has lost too many to the wrecking ball only to be replaced with 10 bland McMansions crammed on the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I'm pretty center-left, but I kinda agree with GPwrangler. Where's Royal Oak? Warren? Dearborn? Hell even Rosedale Park or Bagley!
    Why would they show boring, "normal" neighborhoods that could be anywhere in the U.S.? That wouldn't make for a very compelling photo essay.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Why would they show boring, "normal" neighborhoods that could be anywhere in the U.S.? That wouldn't make for a very compelling photo essay.
    I suppose so, but that could make outsiders know that the vastness of the metro area isn't much different than other parts of the USA. Even though we're "from Detroit", doesn't mean we all live in squalid houses and get into fire fights with our 9 mm.