Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Old Style Uniforms

Yesterday's game between Cleveland and Detroit saw a return to vintage baseball uniforms for both teams. The occasion was for Cleveland's "Hall of Fame" ceremonies, so they apparently felt it was appropriate.

Every time teams go on this kick, it bugs me. Whether it's baseball, football, hockey, or water polo [[water polo?), the old uniforms just look baggy and plain dumb.

The uniforms yesterday were especially baggy. Poor Inge, not the biggest guy among the skinnys, looked like he was drowning in fabric. A big guy, such as Rodney at the end, looked like he had someone's tent on. I also had the thought that if management insisted on these jokes, the umpires should be wearing white shirts and ties and a rumpled blazer like they used to have. Fat chance.

All those in favor of getting rid of this nostalgia nonsense when it comes to uniforms raise your hand and say "aye".

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yesterday's game between Cleveland and Detroit saw a return to vintage baseball uniforms for both teams.
    Not quite. They were the uniforms of the negro league teams from Cleveland and Detroit, not the vintage uniforms of the Indians and Tigers. That said, I like to see them wear old style uniforms to a point. And that point is a couple of times a year, not a couple of times per month. The idea of throw backs, much like interleague play, is getting to be a bit too much in my book.

I'm pretty sure those were NOT Detroit Stars uniforms. I went to a game here in Detroit where they wore those in July. The cap in particular looked like an old Tigers logo, in contrast to the Stars who wore...stars on the front of their caps.

I don't mind the occasional throwback. They probably sell a bit of extra merchandise and attract attention from neophyte fans. At least we can be glad that our team doesn't have a regular alternate home or away jersey. The Indians and Royals, respectively, have cream and powder blue uniforms that they wear on home Sundays.

We're lucky to have the best home unis in the game and a front office that is smart enough to realize not to mess with them. At least not often.

One thing about throwbacks, One time I loved the Houston Astros unis as a kid in the 70's then I finally looked at them and said WTF.
    Tigers, Red Sox and Yankees should never mess with their home unis.

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_wall View Post
    I'm pretty sure those were NOT Detroit Stars uniforms. I went to a game here in Detroit where they wore those in July. The cap in particular looked like an old Tigers logo, in contrast to the Stars who wore...stars on the front of their caps.
    Did you ever think that maybe the Detroit Stars had more than one uniform? Your first clue could have been that the star above the "i" on their uniforms on August 1. Secondly, the game was in Cleveland so why would the Tigers be playing in the same Stars home uniforms that you saw them wear in July [[the "I went to a game here in Detroit could have been the second clue)?

Well, you don't have to take me word for it, how about the Cleveland Indians themselves...
    Saturday, August 1 @7:05PM - HALL OF FAME INDUCTION NIGHT with NEGRO LEAGUE TURN BACK THE CLOCK UNIFORMS, courtesy of Continental Airlines
    http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/content/printer_friendly/cle/y2009/m07/d29/c6125698.jsp

Or maybe the Cleveland Leader?
    The game, which begins at 7:05pm, will also feature "Turn Back the Clock" night. Both teams will be sporting Negro League uniforms instead of their regular attire.
    http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/10828

NY Times?
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009...s-Indians.html

You win. The star above the i was a clue that I considered and dismissed. I wouldn't have expected Stars home and away jerseys to be identical, but I did expect them to bear more resemblance to one another than they did. The D on the hat also looked nearly identical to one on a Tigers hat I own.

See 1918:
    http://www.logoserver.com/MLBHats.html

However, there are only so many ways to style a D and it isn't surprising that the 1930s stars had a road logo similar to the Tigers logo of the teens.

Excellent leg work on proving me wrong. As you say, the whole premise of my conclusion was seriously flawed in that more than one team might choose to do negro league throwbacks and would necessarily involve both the home and away team participating.

The Dude Guest

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    One thing about throwbacks, One time I loved the Houston Astros unis as a kid in the 70's then I finally looked at them and said WTF.
    Tigers, Red Sox and Yankees should never mess with their home unis.
    Check the Tigers' home uni of 50 years agohttp://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/drressed_to_the_nines/database.htm
    Last edited by The Dude; March-23-10 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Looking at those pics makes me pine for the days when ALL of the ball players wore stirrups. It was truly something I thought was unique to baseball and I loved wearing them when I played little league. Nowadays we've got so many pant length, high socks, and varied looks- it's almost tough to call them team uniform beyond their logos any more. I've always been one to like team unity and the uniform was always the first place to start.

I can't stand the Pajama Pants that pass for today's uniforms. Real baseball players wear stirrups....

I like seeing the Throwback uni's.... If they don't fit, blame the team manager for not having the correct sizes - Don Wert or Dick McAuliffe [[both smaller than Inge) never look like they were wearing their Dad's clothing.

I always thought we had this home uniform.

The Dude Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    Looking at those pics makes me pine for the days when ALL of the ball players wore stirrups. It was truly something I thought was unique to baseball and I loved wearing them when I played little league. Nowadays we've got so many pant length, high socks, and varied looks- it's almost tough to call them team uniform beyond their logos any more. I've always been one to like team unity and the uniform was always the first place to start.
    Are you talking about how some players wear their pants over their shoes, and some players wear their stirups up to their knees almost?

The Dude Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    I always thought we had this home uniform.
    Kemp, go to the link that I posted. You can check out every major league teams unis from 1901 to 2009. I think when the season starts, the 2010 unis will show. The unis that I posted were the Tigers unis from 1960. I read those unis drew a big thumbs down from the fans the next year in 1961, the old english D went back on the home unis and have been there ever since.

The Dude Guest

Would you believe the old english D first appeared on the ROAD unis of 1904?

The Dude Guest

The 1927 Tiger unis.

The Dude Guest

The Dude Guest

The Dude Guest

For four seasons, the old english D went on vacation.1930-1, 2, and 3

The Dude Guest

1936 first year of the iconic Yankees home unis.

I tried the link earlier but had trouble, now that I figured it out the info is great. In 1960 our home uniforms looked like the Dodgers. I'm curious if there was an outcry from the fans because after 1960 they went back to the old English D. I'm going to dig a litte deeper into 1960.

The Dude Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    I tried the link earlier but had trouble, now that I figured it out the info is great. In 1960 our home uniforms looked like the Dodgers. I'm curious if there was an outcry from the fans because after 1960 they went back to the old English D. I'm going to dig a litte deeper into 1960.
    Yes, there was.

One of the weirdest unis, 1916 New York Giants.

The Dude Guest

One of the blogs I visit on a daily basis is http://www.uniwatchblog.com
    The author, Paul Lukas, is VERY pro-stirrup and enjoys the classic look of uniforms. I discovered the blog about 4 years ago and enjoy it for the most part. The Dude's photos above come from the Baseball Hall of Fame link [[I assume) which was actually started by Marc Okkonen. He wrote a book about 20 years ago covering every baseball uniform change on an annual basis. I first saw it around 1992-93 and was hooked immediately! I finally broke down and bought the book about 10 years ago and it's a great reference.