Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default NY Transplant discovers that Detroit is just as expensive

She just allocates the money differently:

"When I add up my monthly expenses in Detroit and compare them to my monthly expenses in New York, they are basically the same. Only the distribution is different. Yes, my rent in New York was twice as much as my mortgage now, but my transportation costs in Detroit are six times higher than they were in New York. That, combined with the unfortunate job insecurity I’ve had since moving here and the walloping tax bill, has made it more and more financially difficult to live here. I chose Detroit because I thought that it was the place that would allow me to pursue my art and yet somehow escape my “starving artist” status. I had been told that art could thrive in the Motor City because artists could do more than just “survive.” So far, neither one has happened for me."

http://nextcity.org/daily/entry/movi...rdable-housing

Read that this morning. Seems dramatic.

Many people I know that have located to Detroit don't have cars, and simply bike or walk to work/errands or Uber/Lyft it if the weather's too bad. If she's from NY, she shouldn't be married to a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post

Many people I know that have located to Detroit don't have cars, and simply bike or walk to work/errands or Uber/Lyft it if the weather's too bad. If she's from NY, she shouldn't be married to a car.
    If you're lucky enough to land one of the limited job openings downtown, don't have kids and don't do much in-store shopping, then you wont't need a car.

In Michigan's real world, you're most likely going to be working in Southfield/Dearborn/Auburn Hills/Warren/Troy, where reliable transportation will be a must to reach these places if you live in Detroit. You're also going to need a car to reach the major retailers in the suburbs/on the edge of town. And your kids will likely have to travel quite a distance to attend decent schools
    Last edited by 313WX; December-05-14 at 10:58 AM.

You have dramatically reduced mobility living without a car in Detroit versus living in New York without one.

I realize now that perhaps I was naïve,
    The only statement in that article one needs to read.

Might also not have gotten into this situation if she was rending for 1000 a month... probably a better apples to apples comparison as she wasn't owning in NYC.

Not sure, but I don't think NYC has NEZs like Detroit that cover large residential options. Maybe before demanding someone "do something" to attract residents, she might research the incentives available for new residents?
    Last edited by bailey; December-05-14 at 10:56 AM.

When I lived in Midtown, most of the other people I knew that lived there did NOT list Detroit as their legal residence. Otherwise, the taxes and car insurance will destroy you. That's a big part of the secret of "affordable" Detroit. If you come in from another state with a nice car and make Detroit your legal residence, you just screwed yourself big time.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    When I lived in Midtown, most of the other people I knew that lived there did NOT list Detroit as their legal residence. Otherwise, the taxes and car insurance will destroy you. That's a big part of the secret of "affordable" Detroit. If you come in from another state with a nice car and make Detroit your legal residence, you just screwed yourself big time.
    Very true.

And you best believe most of the yuppies moving down there still aren't claiming a Detroit residence. Having more people down there is nice, but the city loses out on population-based tax revenue and government representation with these people committing tax/insurance fraud...

Yep, when I claimed Detroit as my residence, everyone I knew in Midtown looked at me with bug eyes. But I didn't own a car, so I could stomach the income tax. I viewed it as my charitable act for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Very true.

And you best believe most of the yuppies moving down there still aren't claiming a Detroit residence. Having more people down there is nice, but the city loses out on population-based tax revenue and government representation with these people committing tax/insurance fraud...
    You're only really going to benefit if you're renting. and part of the rent is tax. I mean no one is buying a place in Detroit and then NOT get the PRE, that can't make any financial sense. So they arent ripping off Detroit.... they're just making insurance more expensive by not being part of that pool.

however, insurers are getting more agressive around here. When those residents go to make a claim, there is a pretty solid chance they're going to get a nice fat denial letter [[especially in Detroit). Which always makes me smile. Just watched it happen again. 18 month old car, stolen and found pretty much destroyed, home address listed as milford [[IIRC) at mom an dad's, mom and dad not on car note or policy. Insurance company called them all in for depositions. after investigation, denied coverage. now, note holder coming after her for the payments on a car I think she got a few grand on at a junk yard. schadenfreude is epic.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey
    So they arent ripping off Detroit.... they're just making insurance more expensive by not being part of that pool.

I'm with you on a lot of this, but car insurance is a scam in Michigan.

Proposal A makes it hard to do an apples-to-apples comparison for taxes on a property.

No doubt Detroit's homesteaded millage rate is higher than Livonia's [[68.44 mills vs 39.36 mills according to Mi Treasury's property tax estimator). It's 70 percent higher in Detroit.

With a purchase, the city will uncap any property taxes. So, a new sale in Detroit of $100,000 [[SEV of $50,000) will have a tax bill of ~$3,422. The new sale in Livonia of $325,000 [[SEV of $162,500) would be ~$6,396.

So, the taxes on a new sale in either community would be roughly double in Livonia. The only way the taxes would be roughly the same would be the same is if the family owned the property for a long period of time which would keep the taxable value low.

And yes, I largely agree with the article, especially with the insurance costs.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Not sure, but I don't think NYC has NEZs like Detroit that cover large residential options. Maybe before demanding someone "do something" to attract residents, she might research the incentives available for new residents?
    It's not structured the same way, but NYC does provide tax incentives in the way of brownfield credits and affordable housing credits for developers. But these credits tend to not be aimed at the 99%. A family living in a single family house in Queens or Staten Island might be shocked to find that they pay as much in taxes as a family in Manhattan does on a condo worth tens of millions of dollars.

Here's an NYT article about taxes on super-high end condos: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/16/ny...tax-rates.html

And here's a house for sale on Staten Island that would have nearly the same annual tax bill as an almost $100 million condo in Manhattan: http://streeteasy.com/sale/1130890-t...-staten-island

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    It's not structured the same way, but NYC does provide tax incentives in the way of brownfield credits and affordable housing credits for developers. But these credits tend to not be aimed at the 99%. A family living in a single family house in Queens or Staten Island might be shocked to find that they pay as much in taxes as a family in Manhattan does on a condo worth tens of millions of dollars.

Here's an NYT article about taxes on super-high end condos: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/16/ny...tax-rates.html

And here's a house for sale on Staten Island that would have nearly the same annual tax bill as an almost $100 million condo in Manhattan: http://streeteasy.com/sale/1130890-t...-staten-island
    Ok. But that is vastly different from the broad availablity of the Detroit NEZs. Not just 1%ers or developers. This particular starving artist could have purchased a property in one. She went nuts over the 30k price tag and DID NO FURTHER RESEARCH about what her costs of living would be.

YES she has a point that insurance, property taxes and needing a car are issues. HOWEVER, there are options focused at addressing the property tax issue that she is blithely unaware of. She's lamenting that no one is doing anything...except they are... she was just too "naive" to actually look at anything past purchase price per square foot.

I would gather that this has more to do with her career field than with pure dollars. She's an artist. Artists aren't exactly known to be on the top of the pay scale [[sure, they have have their big breaks from time to time). I'm sure if she worked for one of the Big 3, QL, or some other corporate entity she could survive relatively easily, as most people I see/know do. But no, she's an artist. Nothing wrong with that. But I think she was duped if she thought she could come here and suddenly be as stable as a 9-5er. If she was a starving artist in NYC, the epicenter of American culture and art, then what made her think she would be living comfortably here, one of America's largest provincial towns. Sure, she might get her foot in the Detroit art scene door easier but I wouldn't equate that with making big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Ok. But that is vastly different from the broad availablity of the Detroit NEZs. Not just 1%ers or developers. This particular starving artist could have purchased a property in one. She went nuts over the 30k price tag and DID NO FURTHER RESEARCH about what her costs of living would be.

YES she has a point that insurance, property taxes and needing a car are issues. HOWEVER, there are options focused at addressing the property tax issue that she is blithely unaware of. She's lamenting that no one is doing anything...except they are... she was just too "naive" to actually look at anything past purchase price per square foot.
    Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    You have it completely reversed.

Property taxes on single family homes in NYC are much lower than property taxes on coops and condos.

In fact, this has been a huge issue throughout the years, with coop and condo owners complaining that people on Staten Island and the suburban parts of the city are being subsidized by the residents in the more urban neighborhoods.

A $1 million coop or condo in the city will have about a 30% higher tax bill than a $1 million single family home. There is a push to get these equalized, but the Staten Island delegation in the State legislature has been fighting this since forever.

The link you cite is basically the one exception to the rule. There is a special, temporary State tax break [[called 31-J or something), that lasts for either 10 years or 20 years, that was offered in the 1990's, on certain coops and condos, in distressed parts of the State.

That tax break has since been largely eliminated, but there was a developer who somehow got the state legislature to single out a single condo property of his for this tax break, even though the property is hardly in a distressed area. That special deal is now being investigated by the state attorney general. It just happens that the developer gave millions in donations to the legislators sponsoring the special carve-out.

But 99.9% of condos and coops do not have that tax break attached to their property, and pay much higher property taxes than equivalent value single family homes.

And that real estate listing link you posted, BTW, is just flat wrong. They're listing the annual taxes, not the monthly taxes. A 475k single family home on Staten Island would have 4-5k in annual taxes, which is what it lists for the month. Even the highest property tax jurisdictions in the U.S. do not come close to 40k in annual taxes on a 475k home [[I doubt the highest tax jurisdictions are even close to half that bill).
    Last edited by Bham1982; December-05-14 at 12:18 PM.

Notice that she is comparing paying a mortgage in Detroit to paying rent in New York. Those two are quite different.

She is right in that insurance rates for cars in Detroit and Hamtramck are really high. I'm paying $1,500 a year per car for nothing.

She just has to budget differently. She has to rent, and budget for a car and all it's hidden costs. You can't really live in Detroit without a car, unless the places you need to go are very carefully thought out and nearby.
    Last edited by RickBeall; December-05-14 at 01:18 PM.

Perhaps we can start a food drive for this starving artist. I'd hate to see someone go without food based solely as a result of the poor decisions they've made.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    Perhaps we can start a food drive for this starving artist. I'd hate to see someone go without food based solely as a result of the poor decisions they've made.
    Heaven forbid she should have to get a job [[W.O.R.K. is a nasty four-letter word)

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Heaven forbid she should have to get a job [[W.O.R.K. is a nasty four-letter word)
    She does work. She's an artist. Or unless your definition is strictly lifting at least 500 lbs everyday and/or working 40+ hrs per week.

I would love to devote my writing full time, unfortunately I'm not sure I could sustain a steady income off that. Though those that try to should know the risks involve and don't complain when they're not Andy Warhol or Margaret Atwood already.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    I'm with you on a lot of this, but car insurance is a scam in Michigan. [/COLOR]
    Yes, but it is legal for the insurance companies to scam us. It is illegal for us to scam them.

Even with the high cost of car insurance, I seriously doubt that the cost of living in Detroit comes anywhere close to NY. And let's not forget that even in NY, most people have to drive to get to work because it's far too expensive to live in the city for anybody making an average median income so they're forced to live far away from their jobs and mass transit is not an option. Does anyone know how car insurance rates in NY compare to Detroit?
    Last edited by hortonz; December-05-14 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hortonz View Post
    Even with the high cost of car insurance, I seriously doubt that the cost of living in Detroit comes anywhere close to NY. And let's not forget that even in NY, most people have to drive to get to work because it's far too expensive to live in the city for anybody making an average median income so they're forced to live far away from their jobs and mass transit is not an option. Does anyone know how car insurance rates in NY compare to Detroit?
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/09/14/auto-insurance-costs-detroit/15622121/

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insur...car-insurance/
    Last edited by hewettbr; December-05-14 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hortonz View Post
    People living on Long Island/NJ/Westchester County, etc. still use mass transit. They drive to commuter rail parking lots and take the train into the City [[then connect to the subway/buses) to work. Most people still aren't driving into the City.

For starters: $112/month for MetroCard [[subway) + $1500/month rent [[with roommates) and go from there...

Read that this morning. Seems dramatic.Many people I know that have located to Detroit don't have cars, and simply bike or walk to work/errands or Uber/Lyft it if the weather's too bad. If she's from NY, she shouldn't be married to a car.
    I lived without a car in a major city for 3 years and loved it but would lose my frickin mind if I tried to go carless for a week in Detroit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast