Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Downtown bars could begin to stay open until 4 am

Personally think its a very smart move if it passes. It passed in the house, is now going to the senate . Brings in more money to the city in terms of the fee and would attract more young people downtown [[although the bill is not exclusive to Detroit, seems like city bar owners downtown are the ones who want it the most)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/mobile/...a-m-under-bill

Remember the last time bars closed at 4 AM?

The result: rioting.

good. the night life is dead in much of Michigan.

Just wait until a drunk driver kills someone during the morning rush and that law will change ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Just wait until a drunk driver kills someone during the morning rush and that law will change ASAP.
    Or wait until we watch the news of a police raid at one of these bars at 3 AM turning into a Ferguson-style civil unrest-that's the reason why the closing time was changed to 2 AM in 1967 and that's what also caused the decline the city was already in to immediately speed up.

Drunk drivers kill people in the middle of the day and most people don't have to go to bars to drink. That's a weak argument to revert the law at best.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Or wait until we watch the news of a police raid at one of these bars at 3 AM turning into a Ferguson-style civil unrest-that's the reason why the closing time was changed to 2 AM in 1967 and that's what also caused the decline the city was already in to immediately speed up.
    If it's a licensed bar, the chances of it being raided are pretty low, I would think.

morning rush at 4:00 a.m.? How early are people going to work now?

Ummm, the raid that precipitated the 1967 Detroit riot was on an unlicensed bar operating after hours.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; December-05-14 at 10:31 AM.

Plenty of cities already have this in place. I don't see why it would be a big deal to enact it here in city centers. And just because a bar is open til 4am doesn't equate to more drunk drivers. It's the establishment's responsibility to not overserve patrons. They need to make sure thay are adhearing to that whether the bar is open until 9, 12, 2, or 4.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Plenty of cities already have this in place. I don't see why it would be a big deal to enact it here in city centers. And just because a bar is open til 4am doesn't equate to more drunk drivers. It's the establishment's responsibility to not overserve patrons. They need to make sure thay are adhearing to that whether the bar is open until 9, 12, 2, or 4.
    I've never quite understood how the bartender is supposed to determine who in their establishment that's on their 3rd drink is driving.

LOL closing time...lots of places just close & lock the door and pull curtains if you're in the know. happens more often in small town usa + then the ashtrays come back out. WIN

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Ummm, the raid the precipitated the 1967 Detroit riot was on an unlicensed bar operating after hours.
    Uhhhh, EastsideAl, don't you know that user mtburb knows all of these things better than you? And to everyone who thinks drunk driving won't be a problem, it's not like anyone drinks at home or has alcohol that they drink out of the designated hours of 7am to 2am.

Sarcasm aside, anyone who is Nancy Grace'ing this law needs to get over themselves. Drunk driving is going to happen regardless of the time bars close. You could even enforce prohibition and people will STILL find a way to get drunk and STILL find a way to drive and STILL find a way to injure innocent people. Saying 2am vs 4am is going to have any meaningful impact is hyperbole meant to enforce your rigid views on how other people should handle their vices.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Uhhhh, EastsideAl, don't you know that user mtburb knows all of these things better than you? And to everyone who thinks drunk driving won't be a problem, it's not like anyone drinks at home or has alcohol that they drink out of the designated hours of 7am to 2am.

Sarcasm aside, anyone who is Nancy Grace'ing this law needs to get over themselves. Drunk driving is going to happen regardless of the time bars close. You could even enforce prohibition and people will STILL find a way to get drunk and STILL find a way to drive and STILL find a way to injure innocent people. Saying 2am vs 4am is going to have any meaningful impact is hyperbole meant to enforce your rigid views on how other people should handle their vices.
    Lets also recognize it's only bars in designated downtowns and those bars are going to need to pay extra for the privilege.

the ridiculous thing is that this law's only chance was in a lame duck session.
    Last edited by bailey; December-05-14 at 01:33 PM.

I was just surprised that I would have to remind people of that crucial historical point.

When I lived in NYC I didn't see any particular problem with the 4 AM closing time. Even in the outer boroughs and suburbs where people drive a lot more there didn't seem to be any more drunk driving incidents than we have here in Michigan - maybe less.

The plain fact was that, except for certain places in Manhattan and some busy dance clubs, the crowds thinned out pretty significantly that late. Most bars really didn't make it to 4, especially on weeknights, and would just close up as the customers dwindled down to few or none sometime after 1 or 2.

You could even enforce prohibition and people will STILL find a way to get drunk and STILL find a way to drive and STILL find a way to injure innocent people.
    Motz, what you are saying is true. The fear is whether there will be MORE drunk drivers on the road and/or whether we've made it easier or more difficult for law enforcement identify and catch them before tragedy strikes.

Nighttime on the roads will get a little more dangerous. I kinda thought they were dangerous enough.

Motorcycle helmet laws repealed and alcohol serving hours extended. I never thought I'd see it.

TUS

I can't imagine that extending the drinking hours is a net positive for society, so I oppose this change of law.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I've never quite understood how the bartender is supposed to determine who in their establishment that's on their 3rd drink is driving.
    And yet, it is. I'm not saying the system is perfect, but I don't see the harm in it.

I just wonder how all the bartenders and waitresses feel about having to work another few hours, considering a lot of them are usually there cleaning up for an hour after the bars close as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    drunk drivers kill people in the middle of the day and most people don't have to go to bars to drink. That's a weak argument to revert the law at best.
    amen amen amen!!!

Just to toss this thought into the fray, bars here in Nevada are open 24/7. I've not seen any particular problem. Seems like reading the News and Freep reveals more DUI wrecks back in Michigan than I read in my Las Vegas Review-Journal.

really weak arguments across this board going against this. Plenty of other users have already proven the points against them anyways so i won't get into it.

New york, chicago, miami, los angeles, vegas... all these cities have bars open until at least 4 am and there are no worse problems than we have with drunk driving. uber and Lyft have done wonders already for the metro area in terms of people getting around without drinking and driving.

all this will do is bring more money to the city, the establishments, and attract more young people to live and play downtown. these are all much needed positives.

bring it on.

Maybe we should legalize gambling and prostitution while we're at it. That can't hurt, right?

Last call should be Midnight. Then... Bars could stay open 24-7 as far as I'm concerned. Bars should give breathalyzers as you leave. Unfortunately drunks will still drive no matter what time of day or night it is. Some people just don't have what it takes to use self control.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Maybe we should legalize gambling and prostitution while we're at it. That can't hurt, right?

well good thing gambling already is.. makes it more fun ;-) .... you guys drunk driving will never be fully controlled. if a person is that big of an idiot it's gonna happen one way or another. doesn't matter the time of day the bar closes. Hell maybe if they go from only a little drunk, thinking at 2 am they could drive... if the bar stays open until 4 am maybe they'll be too plastered at that point and know they shouldn't be driving!!

see how weak your argument is? I'm using your same logic against you if you think it'll cause more drunk drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    really weak arguments across this board going against this. .
    Yeah, lots of factual errors and faulty logic.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast